Jump to content
LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Red Dead Redemption 2 (late 2017... until it gets delayed *UPDATE: Delayed to October 2018*) [PS4/XB1]

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Dimness said:

Dare I get a PS4 Pro at this point...

This is a dilemma!  A PC release would be ideal in my use case. Wish it was announced for PC. 🙄

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reviews are starting to come out, I was hoping to wait on this one, but it looks like it will end up at the top of my play list.

 

IGN 

Quote

Red Dead Redemption 2 stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Grand Theft Auto V as one of the greatest games of the modern age. It’s a gorgeous depiction of an ugly period that’s patient, polished, and a huge amount of fun to play, and it’s combined with Rockstar’s best storytelling to date. Even after finishing the lengthy story I can’t wait to go back and play more. This is a game of rare quality; a meticulously polished open world ode to the outlaw era. Looking for one of this generation’s very best single-player action experiences? Here’s your huckleberry.

 

Kotaku

Quote

This game has heart; the kind of heart that is difficult to pin down but impossible to deny. It is a wonderful story about terrible people, and a vivacious, tremendously sad tribute to nature itself. There is so much beauty and joy in this expensive, exhausting thing. Somehow that makes it even more perfect—a breathtaking eulogy for a ruined world, created by, about, and for a society that ruined it.

 

Mashable

Quote

 I can tell you that this sequel makes both the first game and John Marston's overall story better and more meaningful. Red Dead Redemption 2 is at once a startling evolution of the Rockstar Games formula and everything a fan could hope for from a Red Dead Redemption sequel.

 

Guardian

Quote

There can be no doubt that this is a landmark game. It is a new high water-mark for lifelike video game worlds, certainly, but that world is also home to a narrative portrait of the wild west that is unexpectedly sombre and not afraid to take its time. With very few exceptions, the many stories that Rockstar’s writers have set out to tell about this group of outlaws land perfectly, the enjoyable twists and turns of individual missions and chapters feeding into an exciting, sophisticated and absorbing larger narrative – and the stories that you discover yourself within its world are no less compelling. Around 2,000 people worked very hard (probably too hard, in some cases) to make this game possible. Every last one of them should be proud of their contribution.

 

EGM

Quote

In this industry, there are generally two schools of thought for what constitutes giving a game a perfect score: it’s an experience that shouldn’t be missed under any circumstances, or there is nothing about the experience that needs changing. I lean toward the latter myself, but regardless of which you subscribe to, Red Dead Redemption 2 earns the mark. From the moment in the intro where I noticed Arthur slightly puts his hand up toward cold wind, to the stellar end-game payoff that won’t be spoiled here, nothing during my adventure into Rockstar’s newest frontier failed to delight. High expectations are always a recipe for great disappointment, but how foolish I was to ever doubt Red Dead Redemption 2.

 

Gamespot

Quote

While Red Dead Redemption was mostly focused on John Marston's story, Red Dead 2 is about the entire Van der Linde gang--as a community, as an idea, and as the death rattle of the Wild West. It is about Arthur, too, but as the lens through which you view the gang, his very personal, very messy story supports a larger tale. Some frustrating systems and a predictable mission structure end up serving that story well, though it does take patience to get through them and understand why. Red Dead Redemption 2 is an excellent prequel, but it's also an emotional, thought-provoking story in its own right, and it's a world that is hard to leave when it's done.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Digital Foundry.....

 

 

 


* XBX runs in native 4K
* PS4 Pro 1920 x 2160
* XBX best performance with a few drops in towns
* PS4 Pro next best thing with solid framerate in wilderness but again dropping some frames in towns.
* PS4/XB One have better overall performance than RDR1 had in 360/ps3 hardware. There are drops even to the low-mid 20s at some points though.
* Visual parity in terms of rendering for all versions. (same assets/foliage etc)
* PS4 1080p
* XB One 864p
* No evidence of dynamic resolution in any of the versions tested.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Though part if me is very keen to wander around that era again I’m honestly happy to wait a year or two. 

 

As a non-PS4 Pro owner I've considered waiting for the rumored PC release or a next gen system (PS5) release. I'll wait to see everyone's thoughts though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Digital Foundry video on the TV and personally found it quite striking how much nicer the X version looked compared to the Pro. That’s not the reason I’ve decided not to rush to pick this up (price and having little interest in investing time in an open world game of this length are the main factors), but it was another reason giving me pause for thought as I could well leave it to play as a BC title on an XBox One sucessor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Digital Foundry.....

 

 

 


* XBX runs in native 4K
* PS4 Pro 1920 x 2160
* XBX best performance with a few drops in towns
* PS4 Pro next best thing with solid framerate in wilderness but again dropping some frames in towns.
* PS4/XB One have better overall performance than RDR1 had in 360/ps3 hardware. There are drops even to the low-mid 20s at some points though.
* Visual parity in terms of rendering for all versions. (same assets/foliage etc)
* PS4 1080p
* XB One 864p
* No evidence of dynamic resolution in any of the versions tested.
 

Thanks for the cliff notes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I turned on the PS4 earlier this week and saw the almost 100GB game had already pre-loaded. The next in install size in my system were GTAV, Destiny 2, and Uncharted 4, all in the 60GB range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boogieman said:

Thanks for the cliff notes!

I'd love to take credit but they were copy and pasted from the Era thread.:) Glad it helped though.

 

I'm still undecided as hell as to whether I want the game or not. The original did nothing for me and I've tried to play multiple times (including via X BC at 4K). This one looks amazing but it was always going to get enormous hype. The Castlevania Requiem collection hits on the same day and Call of Cthulhu comes out the week after and there's no way in hell that Red Dead is going to take priority over Call of Cthulhu for me.

 

If I do buy it, it likely won't be until November/December time frame, maybe? If I have extra cash on hand though, I may just pick it up and put it on the shelf until I'm ready. Rockstar games don't come down in price quickly so I don't see much of a downside in that regard. We'll see. As you can tell, I'm conflicted. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t image what’s on offer here that might sway anyone who did not care much for its predecessor. Indeed, added emphasis on having to clean your guns, regularly pet and clean your horse...etc all sounds rather neat and immersive in theory, but suspect in practice it will feel like a bit of an added chore (Jim Sterling touches on this in his review).

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Romier S said:

I'm still undecided as hell as to whether I want the game or not. The original did nothing for me and I've tried to play multiple times (including via X BC at 4K).

 

29 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I can’t image what’s on offer here that might sway anyone who did not care much for its predecessor. Indeed, added emphasis on having to clean your guns, regularly pet and clean your horse...etc all sounds rather neat and immersive in theory, but suspect in practice it will feel like a bit of an added chore (Jim Sterling touches on this in his review).

 

I'm pretty much in this situation as GTA games never hold my interest for as long as I always think they will, and I never played the original Red Dead. I actually did give it a really quick shot on Xbox One backwards compat (maybe like 30 mins) and it really didn't change my mind on the above. 

 

I was mainly convinced by other people, mainly some that I played Destiny with, over the multiplayer aspect that was highly regarded from the original game. And these reviews are insane of course, but we'll see. $60 seemed worth it and like Romier said, that price probably isn't coming down soon, and I'd like to be on the front end of this multiplayer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Romier S said:

I'm still undecided as hell as to whether I want the game or not. The original did nothing for me and I've tried to play multiple times (including via X BC at 4K).

 

I didn't care for the first game, so I’m not spending $60 on this one. End of story. 🙂 I have too many other games I want to play that I already own to worry about Red Dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

 

 

I'm pretty much in this situation as GTA games never hold my interest for as long as I always think they will, and I never played the original Red Dead. I actually did give it a really quick shot on Xbox One backwards compat (maybe like 30 mins) and it really didn't change my mind on the above. 

 

I was mainly convinced by other people, mainly some that I played Destiny with, over the multiplayer aspect that was highly regarded from the original game. And these reviews are insane of course, but we'll see. $60 seemed worth it and like Romier said, that price probably isn't coming down soon, and I'd like to be on the front end of this multiplayer. 

 

I’d rate Red Dead Redemption higher than the Grand Theft Auto games, but suspect that’s personal taste. The initial appeal of GTA’s sense of juvenile excess has generally outstayed its welcome by the time I reach the end of those campaigns.

 

RDR, by comparison, appeals to my fascination for that period in American history and my love of westerns. The atmosphere is leisurely, which I like, and the overall tone is frankly rather dour which I’m of two minds about. More of a Spaghetti Western vibe would likely make RDR a more entertaining experience, but that could come at the cost of just how beautifully realised the game’s open world is.

 

£60 is more than I am willing to part with for any game these days, so it has to wait, and again from that DF analysis I am a little disappointed with Rockstar’s scaling/resolution implementation on the Pro (though I am sure when not placed side by side with the X it is perfectly fine). I’m sure the online stuff will be a blast but with the majority of my gaming chums in other time zones, and my getting older, I just don’t do mp anymore. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JFo said:

 

I didn't care for the first game, so I’m not spending $60 on this one. End of story. 🙂 I have too many other games I want to play that I already own to worry about Red Dead.

 

Sure. It’s a fair perspective. 

 

I loved GTAV despite disliking the rest of the series so I’m apt to give Red Dead 2 a shot but yeah, it’ll like,y need to wait. The Call of Cthulhu is uh...well....calling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scanned the Facebook marketplace today for any Retro deals when I got home from work and saw a listing for a guy selling a second copy of the game sealed for $40. I’m out the door to pick it up now. :)

 

Worst case if I don’t like it I’ll sell it off for $50 and it’ll end up being a $10 rental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyle-K said:

I am still waiting on it to ship :(   (but it was only $35, so I guess I can wait a few more days)

 

I don’t preorder that many games from Amazon, but them not shipping games until after the game is out has happened a few times now and is annoying. I got an email from them saying they don’t have a copy to send me. 

 

Didn't they used used to send out games a day or two early so it would arrive on release day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Graeme said:

 

I don’t preorder that many games from Amazon, but them not shipping games until after the game is out has happened a few times now and is annoying. I got an email from them saying they don’t have a copy to send me. 

 

Didn't they used used to send out games a day or two early so it would arrive on release day?

They still do for the most part. I have all of my games preordered through them and have only not gotten them on release day once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Scanned the Facebook marketplace today for any Retro deals when I got home from work and saw a listing for a guy selling a second copy of the game sealed for $40. I’m out the door to pick it up now. :)

 

Worst case if I don’t like it I’ll sell it off for $50 and it’ll end up being a $10 rental.

 

Well, did you get it, or did he cut you up into pieces and take your $40 for his next crack fix?

 

If he cut you up, I'll understand if you don't respond. 

 

If he cut you up AND left you the game please hurry up and scrawl your last will in blood. Daniel deserves your copy, I nominate him!  He's been so generous with the movies codes and all. 👻👍

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...