LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

A vinyl thread (for us old fogies who laugh in the face of common sense).

The new RSD list breakdown is up showing what is coming out on the three different days https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/9003

Also since it’s gonna be a while before all the computer parts I want for my new tower to be back in stock/regular price again, I decided to finally splurge on a Uturn Orbit Turntable with Ortofon Red, and all the upgrades. It came a few weeks ago, and I’m loving going through my collection again. 

• Like 1

Curiously, every single one of my possibles is either dropping solo over the summer, or in the September set. Nothing for the October. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iainl said:

Curiously, every single one of my possibles is either dropping solo over the summer, or in the September set. Nothing for the October. 

The first two days there are RSD exclusives I really want, the last one they are RSD first releases so it’s not a major rush.

Mondo Roger Rabbit down to 29.24 on Amazon UK. Haven't bought any vinyl in an age as blu-rays have taken priority, but I can't resist that. 

7 minutes ago, iainl said:

That's odd - shows as £48.99 for me.

Wow I must have triggered a price bump after purchasing! (seriously how the hell does Amazon’s pricing system actually work?). Massive price bump too as a couple of months ago I was tempted when they had it for £35. 

£49 is obscene. 

Does their algorithm automatically jack up prices significantly on specialty items when stock hits a certain level I wonder? There were 4 in stock when I ordered at £29.24, now there’s 3 at £48.99.

Currently struggling to resist the expensive Mission Impossible releases, because I’m an idiot. 

3 hours ago, iainl said:

Currently struggling to resist the expensive Mission Impossible releases, because I’m an idiot. 

They are great ;)  MI2 went up for order a few weeks back. I am glad to see Mondo do more complete movie series releases. 

They are. But they’re also painfully expensive here in the UK for music I already own digitally. 

I do want Elfman's, but in all honesty am more likely to reach for the La La Land expanded CD release as I'm not sure how often I'd genuinely sit back and listen to it on vinyl (and the film version cues and alternates on the LLL CD will probably always be my preference now anyway). I do try to stick to my self imposed rules as to what to add to my collection (rules I have found myself breaking in the past much to my own frustration).

I cherish the expanded multi-disc La La Land CD release of Roger Rabbit too, but the condensed album on vinyl is a nice alternative whenever I should favour the abridged experience.... plus I just like the thought of kicking back with a glass of whisky (....or in my case water that I can pretend is alcohol) and cueing this up on the Rega.

I have the John Wick releases and Witcher TV soundtrack arriving today. Im almost caught up with listening to my entire collection again, so there will be some new purchases.

So this happened. I can’t blame any of you, though, that lays squarely with my BF who is a huge vinyl collector, upwards of 15k records. My resistance has slowly worn down, and in fact has inverted into enthusiasm after being around records and in record stores again (we always hit up local stores when on road trips). 

If you asked me 5 years ago if I’d buy a record player, I’d have to check myself from laughing in your face.

And yet here we are. 

Oddly, this is now the only dedicated music player in my house. My CD player died years ago (at almost the same time my old amp died, both Rotel, probably wouldn’t buy a Rotel product again). 

So far, I have to say I’m impressed with the sound. It’s the first time my floor standing Dynaudio speakers have been used for anything other than compressed audio in years, and I’m reminded why I Irresponsibly splurged on them back in the day. 

724AB18B-AEB3-47BF-8245-CF45A214CC87.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Last week I got a bunch of soundtracks after not buying much while going through everything I bought. John Wick 1-3, Watchmen vol 3(still need Vol 2 when it’s back in stock), Witcher S1 and  Rudy.  Really looking forward to Discovery S2 next month, and also yesterday the 3LP of Devs was announced 🤟🏻

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Rudy’s such a great score. I managed to get that a couple of years ago. I was lucky enough to see Goldsmith live several times in the last decade of his life, and Rudy was always a particular treat.

I wish I could boost my collection but my throwaway spending allocation is still Blu-rays > monographs/coffee table books > games > vinyl.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Rudy’s such a great score. I managed to get that a couple of years ago. I was lucky enough to see Goldsmith live several times in the last decade of his life, and Rudy was always a particular treat.

I did not know there was a vinyl release, and then while browsing an online sale I saw it for $6.

• Like 1

I’m sure I posted about it when Varese released it and/or when I got it (as I was surprised to find Amazon UK had stocked it. Think it only cost me £21 too).

Managed to get the First Aid Kit, Saint Etienne and Mogwai albums in the Love Record Stores event, which is all I was really after. Part of me wanted the first Blanck Mass as well, but I’d already spent a fair bit. Partly due to having to hit two different shops to get it all. 

Waxworks has the Unbreakable trilogy for sale. I only picked up Unbreakable for now. 

After 3 months of not being in each other's presence due to COVID, my BF Walt and I reunited 3 weeks ago, then the following week I got my turntable. So this past Friday, I got a little surprise when he showed up at my place for the weekend. He had prepared, as he called it, a 'turntable warming' gift. Or, what I would soon find out was the first installment of a series of such gifts.

The biggest surprise was the original Tron soundtrack, which was the first soundtrack I owned back in the early 80s. I think I lent the album to a friend and never got it back. It is a soudtrack very near and dear to my heart (I did buy it on CD when the 20th anniversary editions came around). Having this record back is such a nice feeling.

The Radiohead OKNOTOK special edition of OK Computer fairly knocked my socks off. I knew he had it, but I didn't know that he had two copies! We listened to it over the weekend and it sounds fabulous.

And I was also delighted by the Kraftwerk, an album I only ever owned digitally (a download). Having the original artwork is so cool. The ink used on the cover is day-glow like a tennis ball.

I laid them out this morning for a photo op.

rekkids_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Bravo 2

Absolutely love that OKNOTOK set. Phenomenal remaster job; there’s a whole bunch going on in there I could never hear on the original CD. Plus the three new tracks are a dream; I’ve not heard them since they were playing them back in the 90s. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iainl said:

Absolutely love that OKNOTOK set. Phenomenal remaster job; there’s a whole bunch going on in there I could never hear on the original CD. Plus the three new tracks are a dream; I’ve not heard them since they were playing them back in the 90s. 

Yes. It’s hard for me to make an apples to apples comparison since I haven’t used my full size speakers (which are now my vinyl output) for a number of years. But I was quite impressed with the sound. Good sound stage and instrument separation. But what I noticed the most was the definition and clarity of Yorke’s vocals. 

• Like 1

I guess eventually this will become passé, but for now every arrival is a little celebration. Starting to get some old favorites into my budding collection. Today's arrivals:

dcd-flylo.jpg

• Like 2