LCVG

A vinyl thread (for us old fogies who laugh in the face of common sense).

Not at all, I get excited every time a new purchase arrives. This week my first discog purchases came (Iron Eagle and Bev Hills Cop 2), as well as The Machine soundtrack( which amazon had for dirt cheap, and jumped back upon price after I bought it),The Expanse s1-3 limited release), and I found a copy of Ready Player One at B&N that had just reopened.Tomorrow I am going to clean a lot of records so I can listen the rest of the weekend.

The Mondo Infinity War/Endgame set And Discovery S2 should be shipping next week, and Unbreakable from Waxworks is on the way.

Soundtrack releases I want always happen in waves during the year. End of last year/start of this year was a quiet time, so just saved up my monthly budget for times like these 😀. it also helps that I have always been a bargain shopper and keep an eye on all sorts of deals for everything Non Mondo, which I make sure to order from them ASAP .

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Latest additions. 

So this happened. I can’t blame any of you, though, that lays squarely with my BF who is a huge vinyl collector, upwards of 15k records. My resistance has slowly worn down, and in fact has inverted in

Posted Images

This past weekend's get-together with Walt revealed his "turntable warming" plan. 30 records(!) one artist for each letter of the alphabet, 2 comps and 2 soundtracks. To keep track, he made this card (which I quickly stained with coffee) so I can check off the letters as they are gifted. Did I mention my BF is awesome?

ttwarming.jpg

And 3 more records followed, which are now checked off the card (O, A, and J):
rekkids2.jpg

The Air is a CD I've had since it was released. That Howard Jones I owned on cassette back in the early 80s, which at some point in the distant past was probably lost, or maybe sold. I love the sticker on the front of it! The Orgone is one of his faves, a modern band doing legit 70s style soul.

That's awesome. More vinyl the better :)

Funny thing about the Avengers LP. Over the weekend I changed the Audio cable from my Orbit to the speaker (so had to move it around), and played a bunch of vinyl no issues. Just now I play the Portals side of one of the End Game LP that had a lot of pops, and now it barely had any. That is very strange, but I am going to try the rest and see if they are the same way.

23 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

That's awesome. More vinyl the better :)

Funny thing about the Avengers LP. Over the weekend I changed the Audio cable from my Orbit to the speaker (so had to move it around), and played a bunch of vinyl no issues. Just now I play the Portals side of one of the End Game LP that had a lot of pops, and now it barely had any. That is very strange, but I am going to try the rest and see if they are the same way.

So after changing the cables, and moving it the audible artifacts went away? Maybe in moving it you made it more level?

Speaking of cleaner, what cleaner (system) do y'all recommend? I was surprised to see that Discwasher is still around and apparently still the best? Anything else I should consider?

Yeah i just moved it  to change the cable. I have a newer turntable (Uturn orbit), but it has been sitting there since I got it playing stuff fine. Its covered when not in use, I keep the stylus clean, and always clean whatever new stuff i buy with my Spin Clean. Never had stuff pop that loud before. Like i said very strange.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight Mondo is streaming a panel about Soundtracks. They and other guest publishers will be making release announcements at 8 EST

I also received my replacement Avengers set yesterday which I am going to try later , and Mission Impossible 2 arrived as well.

From a good company to deal with , to one that is pissing me off. Im having a nightmare dealing with Waxworks over the Unbreakable album they shipped. I noticed quickly that there was an issue with it getting stuck at the NJ USPS depot, as Angel had his copy a week already. I contacted usps and they gave me the run around and closed the ticket, And said to wait longer. I contacted waxworks a week later who said the same thing, but after an back and forth email exchange They contacted usps to open the ticket again. 8 days later I contact them to see if they heard anything, as I have not, and they say “ wait another week“. It’s been almost a month, the package is lost, either reship it or refund my money. I’ll never buy direct from them again.

Mondo is releasing the Mandolorian S1 8xlp

set soon. I was thinking of getting that Batman TAS set, but not now. 

Also Tron Legacy 10 Anniv edition and Silent Hill 3/4 from them.

Ghost of Tsushima from another company, but Mondo will have a release of a special covered vinyl.

A month later my copy of unbreakable arrived last week, never buying direct from waxworks again. Their customer service is not only rude, but likes to lie.  SW Shadows of the Empire came  today which was a surprise, Amazon never sent a shipping notice.

I also got a bunch of older used releases from a place off discogs. Return to Oz, Treks 1,3 and 5, Buck Rogers, Dirty Dancing, Witness, And space balls . All vinyl are in very good shape. Going to give them a spin tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Record store day Pt1 is tomorrow , anyone picking anything up?  Newbury at the mall which I always go to for RSD is opening at 8am (mall now opens at 11 normally.), So there is plenty of space for a line with distancing without normal mall traffic. They also only let a certain number of people in at a time also.  First time I will have stepped into the mall since Feb.

Walt has a list of things he wants. He usually gets up early on RSD to get in line. For the last one, we got up at 6 and walked to 1-2-3-4 Go records in Oakland. This year, 1-2-3-4 Go has a new system for COVID, you need to reserve a ticket online, and that ticket gets you access to the store for 20 min, there are 5 tickets for each 20 min interval (so 5 customers in the shop at once), after each interval, they have a 10 min wipe-down before the next 20 min session. The unfortunate part is that he didn't find out until after all the spots were sold out.

But this year they are allowing RSD releases to be sold online, so instead he'll be placing his orders that way. In fact, he's split his list into two. I will get one list, so we can place orders in parallel...LOL. Did I mention my BF is a vinyl junkie?

lol. RSD is like Christmas for vinyl buyers, and this year we will have four of them because of the one done on Black a Friday also.

I read an article about how stores in California are doing it. The 1-2-3-4 system was mentioned in the article. I also know Ameoba is doing online ordering there.

I’ll get in line around 7:15. That time has been fine every one I’ve gone to. I have a short list of things I want to pick up as there are only a few soundtracks for Pt1. A lot of stuff is RSD day release (not exclsuive), so if I miss out on those they will show up on amazon in a week or so. 

My local store is giving out wristbands at some point in the early hours of the  morning, After that, they're letting in 50 numbers per hour with a max of 10 at a time in the store. No showing up early for the hour you ticket is good for. No normal shopping allowed til in the afternoon when all the numbers are gone through. With the event split into 3 days across 3 months, I'm more likely to pick up some maybe releases that I would have skipped over.Fortunately no big box sets for me this year

Basically this is my weekly trip to the store, but with added inconvenience.

Well that was a very pleasant RSD. Was 20th in line. They set up 5 areas with all the releases spread throughout the store in order. One customer at each station for a max of 3 min. So it flowed very quickly, and employees were near each area to ask questions if you did not see something you wanted. Got what i wanted, and a few other things.