LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

A vinyl thread (for us old fogies who laugh in the face of common sense).

To be honest, I was never desperate to get the first on vinyl. It's more of a portable thing, either on my headphones or in the car.

That's cool - just thinking I'd want a CD as well, since soundtracks so rarely come with download codes, so it'll tide me over until any vinyl release.

What I do want to get is the Moana that comes out next week.

I'm assuming "2 feet" is a typo, right?

Not my typo but might be. I read somewhere that any long cables used to connect a turntable to a receiver/amp could result in audio degradation. The cable length mentioned was no greater than 2 feet and some agreed.

I'd check if your amp even offers a phono-level input (rather than a line-level), but even if it does, it's not often that amps that aren't aimed at audio nerds have a decent phono stage. A preamp like the one you've linked would normally be a lot better.

I have the Yamaha 1020 which has a phono input. Don't know whether it's decent or not. Never considered vinyl when I made that purchase.

Never heard of that model before, though; I'd choose either a Rega, NAD or Pro-Ject one myself.

Ok thanks.

It gets a lot of play by me. The soundtrack and score.

Same here.

That's cool - just thinking I'd want a CD as well, since soundtracks so rarely come with download codes, so it'll tide me over until any vinyl release.

I purchased the USB turntable for that very reason. I just haven't tried it out since my turntable is so far from my Mac. Same distance as my receiver, by the way.

I'm surprised a USB turntable doesn't offer a line level output - line level degrades over a much longer distance than much fainter signal from a moving magnet (or even movie coil) cartridge.

That's where I made my 2 feet error, by the way; my Rega's cable is around that.

So yes, a preamp closer to the deck may help here. USB signals will go a fair way, so you should at least be able to test the Mac.

I'm surprised a USB turntable doesn't offer a line level output - line level degrades over a much longer distance than much fainter signal from a moving magnet (or even movie coil) cartridge.

That's where I made my 2 feet error, by the way; my Rega's cable is around that.

So yes, a preamp closer to the deck may help here. USB signals will go a fair way, so you should at least be able to test the Mac.

My turntable does have the line level output.  Has a built-in switchable phono pre-amplifier with RCA output cables.  

Thanks, will order a preamp and see how it goes.

Oh, if you've got a line level output then it's already doing the thing a preamp would do for you; I doubt you'll see a big advantage from a separate preamp, sorry. Of course, the one you've ordered might be a better amp.

Meanwhile, how did everyone do on Record Store Day? I missed out on most of my list, but the thing at the top, the score for Quatermass & The Pit, is mine and it's great. A brilliant blend of orchestral and Radiophonic work from the guy who scored The Daleks.

Ah ok. However, I have read that the built-in preamp isn't all that great and have seen YouTube videos of people having it removed.

Having just gotten back into vinyl, after about 30 years ????, and mostly being into soundtracks and liking pop/rock music, I didn't recognize 90% of the artists on the list. Not familiar with underground/independent artists/music.

That being said, I got all 7 items I wanted:

- Prince Little Red Corvette 7"

- George Carlin Jammin in NY

- John Williams Star Wars 10"

- Madonna Dance Mix 12"

- Art of Noise 12"

- A Bronx Tale soundtrack

- Blade Runner soundtrack

This was my first ever Record Store Day and, in my attempt to try to get what I wanted before moving on to the rest of my list, I failed to notice the Blade Runner is a picture disc. :/

Might return it.

I didn't venture out for RSD. Dark Crystal apparently did not make it to the UK due to supply issues, otherwise I would have liked that, but I'm holding off spending at the moment what with the deluxe release of Leftism coming in May, as well as the Labyrinth re-issue (though that's yet to be listed with UK suppliers).

I might finally pick up my turntable next month.

I might be able to grab you a copy of the Dark Crystal, Dan.

Got most of what I wanted -- Jason Isbell "Live from 1979," Drive-By Truckers "Electric Lady Sessions," the Robert Johnson set, Townes Van Zandt live from Austin City Limits, and the Blade Runner soundtrack. Wanted the Star Wars 10" but missed that one. Would have picked up a few others, including the Johnny Cash children's album and the Steve Earle 10" live single, but those were nowhere to be found, either.

Very kind of you Brandon but don't worry. I suspect it will surface in the UK at a later date. It would not even surprise me if the album gets a regular pressing at some stage too.

I got everything I wanted but one: Thelonius Monk. My record store only got one copy, and the guy right before me got it.

I did get: Jason Isbell, Drive-by Truckers, War on Drugs, Sunny Day Real Estate, and two Sun Ra records.

My record store only got one copy, and the guy right before me got it

This is a great example of why Record Store Day has become a bunch of bullshit. I love the idea of getting people into indie record stores, but the practicalities of it have ended up totally bizarrely, with people queueing up for this weird mix of reprints & limited editions, while at the same time causing the records they really want week to week being delayed at manufacturing for these high priority weird print runs. And that's before talking about the weird practicalities of how stores get certain runs/numbers for the day.

Meh.

At this point, I think RSD only helps the hardcore, the casual isn't going to queue for hours to get some particular release just because it's a special day.

To Brian's point -- the tiny store in my town got at least two copies of the Monk record. And it got one of the Waylon Jennings record, of which there were supposedly only a couple of hundred pressed. The distribution model is... odd.

This is a great example of why Record Store Day has become a bunch of bullshit. I love the idea of getting people into indie record stores, but the practicalities of it have ended up totally bizarrely, with people queueing up for this weird mix of reprints & limited editions, while at the same time causing the records they really want week to week being delayed at manufacturing for these high priority weird print runs. And that's before talking about the weird practicalities of how stores get certain runs/numbers for the day.Meh.At this point, I think RSD only helps the hardcore, the casual isn't going to queue for hours to get some particular release just because it's a special day.

To Brian's point -- the tiny store in my town got at least two copies of the Monk record. And it got one of the Waylon Jennings record, of which there were supposedly only a couple of hundred pressed. The distribution model is... odd.

Agree with both of you. I like the idea of RSD exclusives, but I hate the fact that they are so limited. My store had good quantities of the other records, they must have underestimated the appeal of a 57 year old jazz soundtrack to a French film ;)

I feel much the same. Love the idea of RSD, but I'm too old for the madness of queuing up and fighting for something someone else will most likely have got to first in order to flog on eBay for a premium. I'm blessed to live in London where there is an abundance of indie record stores. Once I actually have my turntable I know I will be filled with equal amounts of fear/excitement when it comes to spending money in indie stores on more obscure and second hand stuff.

There is a small place nearby that has vinyl along with all other media, but they have always been known to be a huge rip off. So it's just B&N and Newbury Comics if I want something ASAP.

Two copies of the Monk were sat on the shelf in Amersham, but I passed as it (like a lot of the Jazz releases) was terrifyingly expensive. Meanwhile, the Reich (which I would have bought if I didn't already have it on 24/96 FLAC) was surprisingly cheap after the £50 copy of Mf18M last time.

I am LOVING the Q 3020 speakers I picked up recently ahead of the turntable purchase. I'm just running them in with some FLAC content via my Oppo UHD player and the Onkyo stereo amp I picked up with the speakers and they are truly living up to their reputation. Wish I had a bit more freedom to place them but they're a delight nevertheless. 

I wish we could get Goldenthal's Alien3 score which is magnificent. I've been waiting for a CD expansion and remaster of that for years but it has never surfaced (there was a rumour the masters have been lost but I don't know if there's any truth to that).

Oh, I would take Alien3 over any of the other movie scores, given the chance. When I get around to it I'll have to grab this, Aliens and Prometheus.