LCVG
Magness

New AV Receiver

On 6/27/2017 at 7:05 AM, Eldorado said:

svs pc16-49(I think that was the model) cylinder

16-46PC.

2 hours ago, JFo said:

16-46PC.

Yeah, that was it. I've had that thing for about 17-18 years. Upgraded the driver and amp both about 6 years ago and it still rocks hard. 

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Josh said:

Dale Launer, the dude who wrote My Cousin Vinny (he also wrote Dirty Rotten Soundrels among other gems) is a friend of mine. 

Please tell Dale that the scene where Vinny first comes to meet the guys in the cell is my favorite comedic "misunderstanding" scene ever.  

And also when the incredulous Brooklyn-style exclamation "I shot the clerk!?" Is read back in court as a matter-of-fact confession, we'll that's just genius.  

Carlos.

So this is kinda what I want but at 10x less price... 

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVSeparates&ProductId=AV7704

I wished there was a company that would upset the current status quo and release a reasonably priced pre-processor with no amps whatsoever.

That's my ideal setup, a pre-processor, XLR outputs directly into active coincident coaxial speakers for all channels.

Why active? Because when a designer/manufacturer know what they are doing they can incorporate digital equalization into the design to improve the performance of drivers in the particular configuration they are used in the speaker system; you can do the crossover in the digital domain where you can control the crossover point accurately so that it's essentially transparent and lastly you can power each driver independently with a matching power amplifier the driver requirements and the output SPL requirements of the speaker - eliminated the need for external underutilized massive power amplifier blocks or distorting under spec'ed power amplifiers that are more typical in lower end a/v receivers.

Why coaxial configuration? Because that's the best configuration, no time-alignment issues, directivity is more uniform etc.

Then you don't need any of that awful room correction EQ stuff that is popular in A/V receivers nowadays and you don't need a hunking 11 channel amp, or separates.

The HDMI switching on my ancient Onkyo is starting to fail, so I'm starting to look at new receivers after not paying attention for a long time.  I'm looking on the relative low-end - out of curiosity is there any company with a multi-room wireless solution that supports non-proprietary speakers?

I can’t find a link to it atm but, I believe there is a Logitech smart speaker connector that allows multi room audio with standard speaker connections to the “puck”. The Logitech smart connector thing would be separate to a new receiver though - I don’t know of any receivers with that built in. 

For a good receiver with decent HDMI switching and current standards support (4K, HDR, etc) is recommend the Yamahas. They are affordable but still provide good sound quality and support most features you would want/need for the next 4-5 years. 

Looks like there's an interesting device category out there I was unaware of - is this what you're talking about?  https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000910-Bluetooth-Adapter-Streaming/dp/B00IQBSW28  Could be a nice way of repurposing an old receiver or speakers.

I've read generally good things about Yamaha and Denon in the range I'm looking at ($400-$600).   Costco has this for just under $500 - https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/tsr-7810/index.html

Looks pretty good for the price, and I love Costco's lifetime guarantee.  What do you think?

• Like 1

Yes - that’s the one. The Logitech receiver lets you use your own speakers and still do multiroom so could be cool. On the Yamaha - I think that’s a great receiver; and it’s a seriously good deal for under $500 :) The only thing I would say to verify in your case is if you have more than 3 4K HDR sources since that’s all it will support at 4K.

I don't have a 4k tv at this point, so that's not a dealbreaker (I just want it to be ok if I upgrade down the road).  I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this,  Any suggestions for good side speakers?

On 10/28/2017 at 3:56 PM, Parrish said:

The HDMI switching on my ancient Onkyo is starting to fail, so I'm starting to look at new receivers after not paying attention for a long time.  I'm looking on the relative low-end - out of curiosity is there any company with a multi-room wireless solution that supports non-proprietary speakers?

I recently bought a couple of Denons... the AVR-S730H and I've been pretty happy with them:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs730h/denon-avr-s730h-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

We use the built in Airplay support most of the time, but they also support Denon's HEOS wireless speakers - I know proprietary but another option.

So we have two rooms with Denon's where we can just airplay stuff to... the upstairs playroom area where I have a laptop running Ubuntu and https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync ,  and my office where I run spotify and shairport-sync. If you like tinkering, shairport also can run on a raspberry pi, so that's a cheap way of adding airplay sinks.

Then there's Airplay 2, where you can now send one source to multiple sinks, but I have to wait until shairport adds support for it and Denon updates the receiver firmware.

Yeah, that Denon was one of the ones I was considering.  If I weren't in love with the no-hassle return policy of Costco, I might have swung in that direction.  It's funny because I wasn't even thinking about getting a new receiver until the current one started going south, but I'm pretty excited by all of the new stuff that has come along in the nine years since the last one.

On 10/30/2017 at 3:39 AM, Magness said:

The only thing I would say to verify in your case is if you have more than 3 4K HDR sources since that’s all it will support at 4K.

As someone who just purchased the Yamaha a870 receiver will I benefit from this switcher if I have more than three 4K sources?  

Thx. 

Actually in your case no, since your receiver has seven HDMI 2.2 compatible inputs I think you’re probably fine without the switcher. 

27 minutes ago, Magness said:

Actually in your case no, since your receiver has seven HDMI 2.2 compatible inputs I think you’re probably fine without the switcher. 

Strange because according to Crutchfield, only the first 3 and Monitor Out support 2.2. 

2 hours ago, Angel P said:

Strange because according to Crutchfield, only the first 3 and Monitor Out support 2.2. 

Yeah according to the manual that is correct. So yeah you would benefit from that switch. The answers on amazon say it supports Dolby vision and HDR passthrough as well as autosensing (which should switch to the active input automatically).

• Like 2

Yea I guess so - the web link for that model shows all 7 but, if the manual shows on;y 3 are 2.2 compatible then you could use the switch.

The Marantz is in my HT!  Went (for now) a 5.2.4 set-up.  It really lengthened the sounds in the room with the additional height speakers.  When I can, I am going to get the Auro3D and add a Voice of God speaker directly overhead.  At least I now have DTSX and can listen to the Jurassic Park movies.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I must admit I do prefer the Marantz physical design over the Denon equivalent (under the hood they are identical, no?). 7012 seems like a beast. 

I believe the Denon equivalent is pretty much the same, except that it didn't have multi-channel inputs, which was important for me, so I can get my dedicated SACD/DVDA player up and going again.  Once you hear Hotel California on DVDA, there's no going back to other formats!  It's sublime.  Also, we got them to match prices and saved $500!  My wife is up for buying me almost anything, if she can get a deal.  LOL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's £900 here which is pretty good, but I just don't have the space for surround anymore. 

We had to go with the place where we have a decent credit line, which means we had to jump through the hoops for them to match prices.  But, in the end, it's all worth it.  Updated it, and I've discovered, per various online quotes, that the Neural X is more aggressive in the heights than the Atmos Surround mode, so I'm going to check a few titles today and see what's what.  

I know a lot of people who have favoured 5.2.4. Over 7.2.4. I guess a lot of it has to do with room size, but four up top whatever the surround config definitely strikes me as the way to go.