LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War

I played an hour or so when I first got the X, but haven't felt any pull to go back to it - everything just seemed overcooked.  I'll give it another try at some point but right now it's my biggest gaming disappointment of 2017 ( and I really enjoyed the first one).

12 hours ago, Parrish said:

I played an hour or so when I first got the X, but haven't felt any pull to go back to it - everything just seemed overcooked.  I'll give it another try at some point but right now it's my biggest gaming disappointment of 2017 ( and I really enjoyed the first one).

Overcooked and overstuffed. You're just inundated in a mountain of stuff to do. Which isn't exactly a bad thing until you realize most of what there is to do is well - dull. Spider memories? Spin a shattered image around until it sets in place and watch a 10 second cut scene, repeat. Go hunt an orc x 100. Find a section of a poem to unlock a door to get loot, rinse and repeat x 100. That's just a few examples. 

Add in a main character that was already the least interesting aspect of the first game and he's even more forgettable here. It's just did not click for me in any way. The Nemesis system is still here and it still looks like there's some fun to be had with it but you have to work your way through a metric ton of shit to get to it and I just don't have the patience anymore.

• Like 1

I was super interested in this game.  Then I read tepid reviews.  And then I read Romier's review.  And I've stayed away.  But the game is $16 on Steam, and when I read the Steam reviews, it is a mix of people saying its the best game ever, people complaining that it is disrespectful to the official lore, a few mentions of microtransactions which have been since ripped out, and criticism of the final act.  But generally positive.

So I'm hoping Romier's take is either wrong or the game has been tweaked and his issues are no longer valid.

But to be honest, even though I've disliked games that others have liked, I generally don't end up liking a game that other people hated.  

Except Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which Joel hates and I love.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

I was super interested in this game.  Then I read tepid reviews.  And then I read Romier's review.  And I've stayed away.  But the game is $16 on Steam, and when I read the Steam reviews, it is a mix of people saying its the best game ever, people complaining that it is disrespectful to the official lore, a few mentions of microtransactions which have been since ripped out, and criticism of the final act.  But generally positive.

So I'm hoping Romier's take is either wrong or the game has been tweaked and his issues are no longer valid.

But to be honest, even though I've disliked games that others have liked, I generally don't end up liking a game that other people hated.  

Except Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which Joel hates and I love.

I wasn't interested in this game either until said micro-transactions were removed. It sounds like it is much better now because of it.

I still have to play Shadow of Mordor at some point — hopefully sometime in the next 6 months — and if I enjoy it enough, I'll play Shadow of War through Game Pass.

So this is on game pass, and I always meant to check it out, and I've been enjoying it so far.  Talion is definitely a boring character, but Celebrimor is a little better, but when I got to the point where I could start recruiting orcs, the first one I converted is, so far, the best character in the game.  I've been going through the new area that I'm in trying to recruit the whole board of orcs before taking on the main siege mission (or at least take out the warchiefs).  It at least seems like there's a few different things you can do with the nemesis system now, although there's a really annoying issue where you can target your followers with attacks far too easily.  I had a bodyguard turn on me because I attacked him too much, although I did like that the game took that into account when I finally killed him :)

And yes, there is a fair amount of open world bullshit in the game (artifacts, towers, etc), but if nothing else it's all fast?  You can really move quickly in the game, everything is a "tap to pick up", and nothing is very far from anything else.  I also like some of the commentary from Celebrimor on some of the artifacts you find. 

Anyway, worth a look if you have gamepass I suppose?  It looks like none of the DLC is included, but it still has the Batman combat, which is still fun.  I'll keep going on it until I get bored.