LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Graeme

Destiny 2

On 2017-10-29 at 8:19 AM, Josh said:

I'm already level 20 and I haven't even seen 2 planets for the most part let alone do any of the missions there. Shit-tons of content this time around.

I’ll be curious what you PC guys think in a week or two. For me I fell off it way quicker than D1. While there is more content in the game, the actual end game feels like they went too far in making it simpler and accessible.

Part of it is that I didn’t really have anyone to run Nightfalls and the Raid this time, but I also wasn’t feeling super motivated to.

Making everything about acquiring Engrams instead of having vendors to purchase things from feels like a huge mistake. I understand all the currencies gets unwieldy, but this doesn’t feel like the solution. 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I’ll be curious what you PC guys think in a week or two. For me I fell off it way quicker than D1. While there is more content in the game, the actual end game feels like they went too far in making it simpler and accessible.

Part of it is that I didn’t really have anyone to run Nightfalls and the Raid this time, but I also wasn’t feeling super motivated to.

Making everything about acquiring Engrams instead of having vendors to purchase things from feels like a huge mistake. I understand all the currencies gets unwieldy, but this doesn’t feel like the solution. 

Very interesting - perhaps they focused on the grind rather than the end game?

I've not yet tried any raids or nightfalls, so I can't contribute any thoughts to that, but I'll be curious to see if this calls me back. I'm about to go on vacation, so this'll be a good litmus test.

https://kotaku.com/bungie-changes-destiny-2-xp-system-after-players-discov-1820728952

Destiny 2 was secretly throttling XP gains for lvl 20 characters completing certain repeatable tasks like public events. The game would still show full XP gains, but what was actually received could be as little as 4% of what you were actually supposed to earn. 

Normally this his could be explained away as a glitch, but since XP is only useful for earning Bright Engrams, and Bright Engrams are what can be bought with the real money currency.... it doesn’t take too big of a leap to see what really might have been going on here. 

Bungie has turned off XP throttling, and has put out a statement saying that it wasn’t “performing the way we’d like”. It feels a bit like “you caught us”. 

Certainly there can be reasons to throttle rewards in a game to prevent certain abuses, but these are usually known by the player so they can decide on whether they’ll keep playing or not. 

• Like 1

When you have a mechanism in your game that is built to reduce returns on players' time invested that isn't clearly indicated, how much it diminishes the amount isn't the issue.   All of this whale hunting in AAA $60 titles is awfully depressing. 

1 hour ago, Parrish said:

When you have a mechanism in your game that is built to reduce returns on players' time invested that isn't clearly indicated, how much it diminishes the amount isn't the issue.   All of this whale hunting in AAA $60 titles is awfully depressing. 

The XP curve is nothing to do with "whales". It's a disconnect between the designers of the progression curve of XP/rewards & the UI team vs real human behaviour. They designed it to diminish certain playstyles with an aim of "don't grind" & utterly fucked it up between how it slows you down, how it is presented vs what real players expect. Whales don't grind - they want to pay to achieve, pay to be noticed - but despite the hype, monetization doesn't function around them -you can aim at that hardcore audience, but you're limiting your bigger reach by doing so. So more games are trying to monetize in smaller ways, instead of the ultra hardcore.

As for this Destiny 2 behaviour - think of WOW/SWTOR & every other MMO with 'rest xp' - that's what they were going for, the idea of repeatedly playing the same thing again & again should give diminished returns. But they utterly got it wrong in how it works & how it's presented. 

• Like 2

https://kotaku.com/as-destiny-2-players-mutiny-bungie-struggles-to-respon-1820770103

Article on Kotaku about the recent Destiny controversies and Bungie’s struggle to communicate properly. 

Also learned from it that when they took out the XP scaling, they also doubled the amount of XP required to earn an Engram and again did not communicate this until it was discovered by the community.  

• Like 1

Bungie bungles it again - they boned HDR on PS4 and only realized this AFTER release. You can't make this shit up.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 9:21 AM, Josh said:

Bungie bungles it again - they boned HDR on PS4 and only realized this AFTER release. You can't make this shit up.

You have to wonder who is running the studio over there at this point.

• Like 1

I like this idea of having a raid version that doesn’t get scaled into oblivion every time DLC comes out. By the time I was ready for a Raid, not that I had anyone I knew to raid with, another expansion came out and I could never hit the light level any more. 

Digging this up (vaguely surprised that I even have to, really) to mention that so far I'm enjoying the PC version that I picked up in the Humble Monthly. I am, however, rather concerned as to how far through the story I am already - just freed Cayde and seemingly at least half way (at level 10, anyway, if that helps). Still, it's not like I paid a lot, and I've barely touched the other open roaming stuff apart from a few timed events in the open world areas.

• Like 1

The story was o.k. IMO but wasn’t very long. The endgame content in D2 was really good I thought but, not all that different from D1. I still like this one personally but, I don’t think as many people are still playing it.

I've got a humble bundle code sitting there trying to taunt me into playing... But I really want to wait for the full set of expansions, like I did for Destiny 1. My son & I had a blast doing that on the xbox, tons of content + variety... Vanilla Destiny 2? Hmmm... :/

But I'm not surprised the thread faded. The game just didn't get the widespread pickup & long term pull that other games have. Hi, Fortnite!

Ah, fair enough - I did get the impression that the downside of having less grind is that people reach the end and leave. Still, I'm only expecting a month or so's fun time out of it, and I think I'm going to get that.

• Like 1

I enjoyed what I got out of it, and just bumming around planets for public events is fun.

It does get redundant, though.

• Like 1

I’ve been wanting to try the expansions, but I just can’t bring myself to pay the full price for them. 

I liked playing through the story just fine, and enjoyed the game afterwards for a little bit, I just didn’t find anything to motivate me in the end game the same way I did the first. I never did a Nightfall, let alone the raid, and didn’t even feel much motivation to do normal strikes.

The problem I had with Strikes on the first game was that several were just “here’s an arena, try not to die as we throw loads of things at you” and there was no way to only get the less boring ones. Never tried a Raid as I have no friends. 

Personally I loved the Strikes and played the Nightfall a few times (fun but tough) but never had enough friends online at the same time to do a raid. Anyone ever try the assisted game option where other players take you through a strike/raid/nightfall?

Bungie has announced the big year 2 expansion called Forsaken. Out Sept 4. 

The devs in the video at least seem really excited about it. 

Some of the new features:

- A new world called the Tangled Shore. Looks like they’re going with a Western style for it somewhat. 

- New bow and arrow weapon type

- New super powers

- New PvPvE gametype that looks like it could be rather fun 

- New raid and endgame environment 

- Reworked weapon load out system

- Random rolls on weapons and some type of progression on the weapons again(?)

- A new progression system that will try and drive you to collect the gear you want, and complete tasks for rewards like titles. 

In addition, they are also planning 3 more paid content updates beyond Forsaken and are selling an Annual Pass which will include all the year 2 content for $70. 

Some of the new features sound good. I hope they work as well as they want. I remain hopeful that Destiny 2 will be something I want to play again. 

I also hope the season pass for the current  expansions goes on sale this week. 

• Like 1

Looks cool - I like the “western feel” and I genuinely like Destiny 2 so more content is great but, I just don’t think I’d pay another $70 on it. Will wait for a sale (like you said) on the current exp packs (hoping for something like £15 for both) and would get Forsaken exp packs in a sale in the future.