LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Graeme

Destiny 2

Similarly I just don't play it enough to buy all the content packs at full price, but a Western feel suits me nicely. As a Hunter in both Destiny 1 and 2 I tend to only use weapons other than the Hand Cannon when the numbers force me to. A bow and arrow setup strikes me as even more usefully down the "one good shot" road.

Expansion pass only and Game+expansion pass are on good sales for consoles. Game+expansion pass is on sale on PC, but just the expansion pass does not appear to be. 

Not surprised; they’re probably trying to make some money back after all those Humble Monthly sales. 

That’s probably true.

I got the PS4 pass since that’s what I played the base game on. I’ve considered switching to PC, but it’s not really worth it right now. Maybe in September if they have some sort of special to get people caught up for Forsaken (they may even have a character boost which would be great). 

Destiny is going free to play. A bunch of content will now be included in the base game with pay for add-ons. PS4 will no longer get exclusive content, cross-saving will be supported and more:

• Beginning September 17th, the game will be renamed to Destiny 2: New Light. Alongside this, it will be made free to play on all platforms, and will include the following content for free:
    • The base Destiny 2 game
    • The Curse of Osiris expansion
    • The Warmind expansion
    • Crucible (the PvP mode)
    • Gambit (the PvPvE mode originally introduced as part of Forsaken)
    • Patrol areas from later expansions, including Forsaken and Shadowkeep (the Tangled Shore, the Dreaming City, the Moon, etc.)
  • The Forsaken and Shadowkeep expansions, as well as Forsaken's Annual Pass, will still be paid purchases. Additionally, there will be a Shadowkeep Annual Pass; however, you will also be able to just buy the Shadowkeep seasons individually if you would prefer.
    • You are now able to purchase Forsaken and the Forsaken Annual Pass for $40 USD. Buying this bundle gives you immediate access to them, as well as the base game and first two expansions.
    • Shadowkeep will cost $35. There is also a $60 version that includes Shadowkeep and its Annual Pass. The cost of the pass's individual seasons is not currently known.
    • Shadowkeep does not require you to own Forsaken or the Forsaken Annual Pass.
  • Beginning September 17th, PlayStation will no longer receive exclusive new content (weapons, strikes, etc.). All new content will be made available for all players on all platforms at the same time.
  • Cross-saving is being added to the game for allplatforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Google Stadia, PC). Original reporting/rumors/leaks suggested that PS4 would be excluded from this, but that is not the case.
    • To enable cross-save, you must choose one existing set of characters from one platform to be your characters for all platforms going forward. Your silver balances from all platforms will be merged, and your season purchases will also carry over for all platforms. However, expansions must still be purchased for any platform you play on in order to play their content on that platform.
  • On September 17th, the PC version of the game will migrate from Battle.net to Steam. Once this happens, the Battle.net version of the game will no longer be playable.
    • All characters, account progression, and purchases from the Battle.net version of the game (including expansions, Eververse transactions, etc.) will carry over to Steam via a transfer that will be performed on Bungie.net.

• Like 1

Updating the free version of D2, cross saves and multi-platform accounts are all great updates so that’s good. But, I feel like they are still making this more complicated than it needs to be and that has been Destiny 2’s main issue all along in my opinion. The game and expansion content has been great I think but, the way the break up access to it just “breaks” the flow of the game. Do a season pass that includes new expansions/content (ala Division 2) and leave it at that 😕 

Yeah.  This is a mess.  Cross-save, but the fact that you need to buy the expansion for each platform is confusing (and I'm sure not their ideal solution either)

I thought I was going to jump back in, but I'm going to keep sitting out until the next one, I think.

Next destiny needs to be free-to-start, and all paid content needs to be bought through in game silver and work just like emotes etc. and be available across all platforms regardless of where you bought it.

One of this week's Nightfall Strikes is "Strange Terrain", the only way to get a particular weapon. With a couple of guys from the Destiny LFG app, we ground it out in about seven minutes a run, repeating for about an hour until all three of us got the random drop. Which means I'm now part of the 1% who have a purple title on Xbox. Go me! 

• Like 2

Congratulations! I occasionally think I should go back to this, having played a bunch of both Destinies without ever completing either a Nightfall or a Raid, but I don't know when I'd find the time. Maybe I should wait until the cross-platform thing happens so I can play with Xbox owners from my PC. Mind you, there's also the fact that I'm liable to throw a mini tanty at the way the new Free version of Destiny 2 basically consists of "All the stuff I paid money for".

• Like 1

I'm perfectly happy to have thrown money at it, I've gotten a huge amount of playtime + fun out of it. It's still my go-to game day to day. The loop + gunplay just hits home so well for me. And they keep adding more stuff for me to do - the Menagerie is a ton of fun right now.

I’ve got my money’s worth out of it before I moved on, easily. I just have the problem that what sounds like the coolest stuff is always at the end of a grind I get about a third of the way through before the next expansion comes out and it charges off into the distance again. It’s really not aimed at people who play it as little as I do. 

I have earned my 2019 Moments of Triumph T-shirt code with my final triumph being to achive Legendary Valor Rank in Quickplay Cruicible. 

funny-meme-i-regret-nothing-4323.jpg

I am so done with the Solstice event otherwise. No way am I masterworking that gear.

• Like 1

Been playing this again recently and now completed the Shadowkeep campaign and at 900 light. I thought the campaign was fun but, nowhere near as good as Forsaken. I’m also surprised coming back to it how little anyone is playing Gambit - not sure why this died off in popularity? Well, for what it’s worth I am enjoying the game, the new areas and quests have been fun (great to revisit the Moon) and the new strikes and raids I’ve played (only 2 so far) are good so can’t complain; I just wish more people were still playing Gambit since I love that mode. 

What platform?

I don't have any issues with finding games of Gambit or Prime on xbox. I know that the PC matchmaking can be very weird at times with it not kicking off a match or strike, even when the PC population is large. 

I'm at 960 + artifact bonus light on my hunter, playing near daily, but the new seasons have not been as engaging for me as a mostly solo player. I've enjoyed the story, especially the Saint 14 + moon stuff, but the reward loop isn't as engaging because of the changes to how the top tier stuff drops. 

I’m playing on PC so maybe it’s an issue with matchmaking on PC... When Forsaken came out the matchmaking for Gambit was excellent and I never had an issue getting a game any time of day but, that was before then F2P change and Steam launch.

Just an update - still playing D2 (this is my off-time game that I play when I’m not in the mood for Luigi or VR or something else) and enjoying it. Since my previous post I have not had any issues with Gambit matchmaking so I guess it was just weird/acting up on me but, no problems since thankfully. Having a lot of fun with the weekly Sundial runs, strikes, raids, Gambit (of course) and just general missions. I’m up to 960 light now but still finding plenty of challenge. I have still yet to complete a nightmare hunt on master difficulty (grrr) after several attempts so far but, no completions. Will keep at it though since it is fun. 

One of these days I'll actually try a raid or Nightfall. Well. I tried a Nightfall once, but without realising it wouldn't throw me in with strangers like a normal strike would; attempting to solo one is NOT easy.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, iainl said:

One of these days I'll actually try a raid or Nightfall. Well. I tried a Nightfall once, but without realising it wouldn't throw me in with strangers like a normal strike would; attempting to solo one is NOT easy.

:)

The Destiny app's been really useful for me for finding nightfall run groups as there's usually someone grinding for drops with them. 

At this point, I'm focused on Gambit & some Crucible for the damn seasonal triumphs/weapons. Love Gambit, can't stand Crucible 😕 I'd love to run some Reckoning to get 2.0 gear for Gambit Prime but it seems to be numpties that play it these days 😕 

• Like 1

Son is mad keen on Gambit; I’ve never tried it. I still enjoy the odd game of Control, but my ability to come top of one game then dead last in the next never ceases to amaze. 

So, the next season starts on March 10 and the way the upgrades work now is that you just buy the season pass in-game for 1000 silver - Is that right? There is nothing else to do for the new season right? I only jumped back into D2 with Shadowkeep so had the last 2 seasons included and trying to make sure I’m not missing anything...

• Like 1

I believe you're right, @Magness. I got the season pass bundle with Shadowkeep, so I'm out of the loop of buying it by individual pass, but I think you've got the details right. 

Enjoying bits of this season, especially the Saint content, but disliking the linear fusion rifle grind for the title. 😕

• Like 1