LCVG

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

I got the media remote, it's nice but you have to point it at the damn console, why the hell is there an IR array in the Kinect if it cannot pick up signals from the remote.

That annoys me too. Mine often won't turn on the Xbone.  Using the media remote to control the volume is actually worse than using the damn voice command.  It's good at reliably bringing up the OneGuide but why would I use OneGuide over my DirecTV guide?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy Fucking Shit! Look at this message I just got on Twitter from the official Xbox account:     I guess I made the right move by not buying Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order yet, huh

This is fantastic to see:       PC compatible too of course.  

Well Amazon delivered a day early and my X is sitting boxed in its X box box in the corner. I wasn’t prepared for this at all as I’m trying to press on with God of War. I’ll make some time later to ge

Posted Images

Just to confirm - the automatic updates on the XB1 only updates the system, not the games and apps right?  That's been my experience, but it just seems hard to believe that I haven't heard people begging for everything to be updated as a new feature with the size of updates being what they are.

That annoys me too. Mine often won't turn on the Xbone.  Using the media remote to control the volume is actually worse than using the damn voice command.  It's good at reliably bringing up the OneGuide but why would I use OneGuide over my DirecTV guide?

It seems like so much of this system is just not thought out fully at all.

Just to confirm - the automatic updates on the XB1 only updates the system, not the games and apps right? That's been my experience, but it just seems hard to believe that I haven't heard people begging for everything to be updated as a new feature with the size of updates being what they are.

Correct. Apps and games update separately. Microsoft has touted the app based nature of the One as a strength since it allows them to do quicker app based updates instead of waiting for full system UI updates like the 360.

At least they finally added an update firmware button with the April update. Amusingly it won't appear unless there's one available.:) Friend notifications are working now, too. Only popping up for favorites which you can set.

Just to confirm - the automatic updates on the XB1 only updates the system, not the games and apps right?  That's been my experience, but it just seems hard to believe that I haven't heard people begging for everything to be updated as a new feature with the size of updates being what they are.

Yes, apps and games update on their own, but it's also automatic if you have your system in suspend.  It looks like the only time an update won't auto-install is if it's for a disc based game, at which point it'll download, but not install until you insert the disc again (this seems like a bug/feature that hasn't been implemented properly).  The last KI update was completely transparent though-it was just there the next time I launched the game, just as you'd expect. 

Strange that the media remote needs to be pointed at the console-with my Harmony it seems to need to point at the Kinect.  At least it works with a universal remote out of the box?  Makes watching media on it much nicer than having to use a controller.  Only real issue with the BR player app is that some operations seem to need you to pop the on screen menu rather than having a dedicated key on the remote, but that might just be outdated Harmony codes.  Anyone tried updating recently to see if there's a dedicated "skip all the preload trailers and commercials and play the fucking movie I bought" button? 

I have my system in suspend, but nothing installed on the system updates automatically (not the little stuff like Xbox Music or YouTube, or the big stuff like Project Spark).  I haven't been playing the XB1 a lot lately, and huge updates tend to discourage me from doing so.  Updates were something the 360 did really well (with a few exceptions like Borderlands or Battlefield 3) - small and quick.  While I have some hope in the long term that MS will right the ship, I often feel like Sony understood the strengths of the 360 (and weaknesses of the PS3) much more than MS did.

I have my system in suspend, but nothing installed on the system updates automatically (not the little stuff like Xbox Music or YouTube, or the big stuff like Project Spark).  

My One is in the suspend/standby mode (i.e. it doesn't power down all of the way) and the most recent firmware update installed for me without issue. I didn't even get the usual prompt that pops up on the screen. It just did it in the background. I wouldn't have even known if I hadn't gotten a friend notification to pop up all of a sudden which I knew as part of the new update.

I can't speak towards app updates as I don't generally check or really use any apps on the One outside of maybe Upload Studio .....

I have my system in suspend, but nothing installed on the system updates automatically (not the little stuff like Xbox Music or YouTube, or the big stuff like Project Spark).  I haven't been playing the XB1 a lot lately, and huge updates tend to discourage me from doing so.  Updates were something the 360 did really well (with a few exceptions like Borderlands or Battlefield 3) - small and quick.  While I have some hope in the long term that MS will right the ship, I often feel like Sony understood the strengths of the 360 (and weaknesses of the PS3) much more than MS did.

Do you have the apply updates automatically (don't remember exactly what it's called) option checked in the settings? Mine stays in standby/suspend and updates games, apps and firmware with no issues.

My new TV should get here today, and while I'm transferring all my equipment to my new stand, I'm going to go ahead and de-couple my direcTV from the XB1.  It's an experiment that has run its course.  Maybe someday they'll come up with a killer reason to integrate it again, but for now it just doesn't add anything of value, and in fact it drives me nuts that I have to speak "Xbox, watch TV"  out loud early on a Saturday morning when I'm the only one awake in the house. 

Carlos.

Is there a specific reason you have to say Xbox, watch TV and not just click the watch TV tile?

I'd imagine he doesn't want to have to dig out the controller, press and hold the X button to power it on and then click on the tile? Don't know. As much as I dislike them that is the convenience of the voice commands though my question is more along the lines of having to shout the command? I can pretty much speak at normal volume and get it to work but then I'm generally 6-8ft away in my seating area so if you're farther away that's understandable.

There has been another spate of retailer driven price drops here in the UK on the XB1 (that's price drops ON TOP of the recent official drop), with some still trying to shift "day one" editions. I never expected things to be this slow only five months after launch. At this point I am almost anticipating Microsoft's E3 conference the most just to see what they've got in the hope of turning things around. Sony can't afford to get cocky and lazy either. 

From what I'm hearing from my handy Avant Garde Economist, the big worry for shops selling UK Xbones is not just the drop-off in purchases but the large number of trade-ins. One of the chains is shifting Day One Editions at £299, a whole £130 less than they were five months ago. And because others are selling brand new ones with Titanfall for £350 nobody's jumping at them.

Maybe we'll see E3 1996 Redux.

But there's no way in hell Sony is going to have a surprise price drop.

Absolutely no need for Sony to even think about dropping the price in 2014 I shouldn't think, even if MS seek to come in cheaper before the year is out. Sony's focus really needs to be on keeping their momentum going and that's got to be with software and adding more features to the PS4 firmware. I'm not sure Sony can have lightening strike twice two E3s in a row but I'm excited to see what both parties bring to E3 and am probably anticipating their conferences just as much as I was last year. As I've written before I'll be a bit disappointed if the bulk of Sony's conference is revealing Uncharted which we know is coming, showing us more of The Order and re-announcing Driveclub. All three will undoubtedly be part of their show, but I hope for more surprises. Of the two I actually think Microsoft will pull the most rabbits out of the hat because they really need to. If they stumble at E3 again then it could truly be disastrous.

From what I'm hearing from my handy Avant Garde Economist, the big worry for shops selling UK Xbones is not just the drop-off in purchases but the large number of trade-ins. One of the chains is shifting Day One Editions at £299, a whole £130 less than they were five months ago. And because others are selling brand new ones with Titanfall for £350 nobody's jumping at them.

Indeed. Far cry from launch week when you could turn in an XB1 to CEX and make a surprising profit on the retail price. 

It's not that I have to yell at it, it's just that it feels weird on a quiet, early Saturday/sunday morning to have to speak something out loud. 

I'm going to leave it be for a few more days to decide.  I just remembered that the newest patch lets you disable the gesture controls while watching TV.  That should eliminate another frustration.

Carlos.

Removed the Xbone middleman and went back to DTV straight into my receiver, and right away I noticed a very marked improvement in audio quality, and in separation among the L/R and F/B surround channels.   It's actually an amazing difference and I'm surprised I didn't take notice of the degradation immediately when I installed it that way.  

Carlos.