LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

I have the thrustmaster wheel.  Its not bad.  There are 2 issues: 

1) there was a very high failure rate of wheels early on.  Motors were burning up or wheels just stopped working.  There were threads discussing this on inside sim racing forums.

2) The included rim is a cheap plastic POS.

I ended up getting the wheel and buying the add-on rim (another $100).  The F458 rim is much more solid feeling.  The included rim feels like a hollow-plastic toy.

I had no problems with my wheel failing.  It does have one issue that I guess is normal with these wheels...it can overheat and when that happens some internal protection circuits kick in and make the force-feedback basically stop (it starts feeling really mushy).  I have had this happen sometimes 5 minutes into a session, which is concerning.

The over-heating has only happened a handful of times, and I dont think it has happened at all since the latest firmware.

Overall I like the wheel, though I got bored with Forza pretty quickly so I am not using the wheel much now.  Waiting for Oculus Rift to release, when that happens I think I will be playing Assetto Corsa a ton.

Plex is officially coming to Xbox One tomorrow!  Hell yeah!

Nice.

I just picked up a Chromebox though, and run OpenELEC/XBMC/PlexBMC on it. Still good to see MS allowing some interesting apps; it's hopefully a sign of good things to come.

If I have a server with a shared XBMC library (using mysql), is there a way to make this visible to Plex? Haven't used it before, and not sure how well plex and XBMC play together.

If I have a server with a shared XBMC library (using mysql), is there a way to make this visible to Plex? Haven't used it before, and not sure how well plex and XBMC play together.

I don't use a shared database myself, so I don't know how exactly that works. Plex Clients (such as the Xbox One client) require Plex Media Server, and you can run that alongside XBMC.

PlexBMC is an add-on for XBMC that allows you to use the Plex library in XBMC (but not the other way around).

I use Plex just for it's ability to stream/transcode to other devices very effectively. I can play Blu-Ray rips at 30 Mbps on my home network to my iPad and the quality is excellent.

As long as you can install both servers on the same machine, it shouldn't matter, as long as they don't both try to mess with the media library too much.  Could get ugly if they both tried to make modifications, move files, or rename stuff.  Might give it a shot though.  With XBMC, I can stream just fine 95% of the time on my N wifi to another XBMC instance.  I've had a couple of issues with 1080pBR files, but that was solved by shutting another wifi client off.  Thinking about upgrading to AC for more bandwidth. 

Does anyone else constantly get "Controller Disconnected" errors??  It happens with both of my controllers.  I had hoped with all the controller firmware updates that have been released, this issue would be fixed by now.

I have been playing Chariot with my daughter and probably every 15 to 20 minutes, one of our controllers will disconnect.  It seems to get worse when both controllers are being used at the same time.  When I play Fifa by myself, I will only lose connection maybe once per hour.

Does anyone else constantly get "Controller Disconnected" errors??  It happens with both of my controllers.  I had hoped with all the controller firmware updates that have been released, this issue would be fixed by now.

I have been playing Chariot with my daughter and probably every 15 to 20 minutes, one of our controllers will disconnect.  It seems to get worse when both controllers are being used at the same time.  When I play Fifa by myself, I will only lose connection maybe once per hour.

I have been getting this on occasion on the Xbox 360 as well as the Xbox One. I assume it's interference from my router or something, but I haven't bothered to diagnose it, as it re-connects on it's own and it hasn't been frequent enough to get under my skin yet.

November update preview. Customized backgrounds and the showcase are the most interesting things in the update. The Twitter TV trending stuff can't die in a fire.

Holy hell, I hit play on that video and Larry's voice turned on my Xbox...  I guess they have to find someway for me to power that thing up!  Too funny.

December update will be smaller and screenshot function won't happen until 2015:

December’s Xbox One update will be smaller than previous updates of Microsoft’s monthly platform updates, according to Head of Xbox Phil Spencer. Spencer told IGN, “In December, it’s probably a time for us to pause for a little bit and settle just as all the new consoles are coming online.”

Because of the holiday rush, Xbox One’s screenshot feature won’t arrive until 2015. “As we come back into the new year, we’ll see new stuff, and screenshots is on the list,” Spencer said.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/22/december-xbox-one-update-smaller-wont-include-screenshot-feature?abthid=5447fee61059563a69000028

Can someone explain Home Gold to me and is it similar to Share Play? I've searched online but can't get a clear understanding of this feature.

I think it basically means that you only need one gold account for your home Xbox for everyone to use gold features (play multiplayer, Games with Gold, etc.) on that console.  That's different than it was with the 360 where you needed to buy gold for each account. 

I'll admit that at $349, I'm interested. I'm not quite sure it's enough to get me to pull the trigger, especially with all of the other games I have on my plate, but at least I don't feel the need to outright reject the Xbone anymore.

My next question is what does Sony do? I would think a similar price drop on the PS4 will not be too far behind.

I'll admit that at $349, I'm interested. I'm not quite sure it's enough to get me to pull the trigger, especially with all of the other games I have on my plate, but at least I don't feel the need to outright reject the Xbone anymore.

My next question is what does Sony do? I would think a similar price drop on the PS4 will not be too far behind.

I would think they'd wait a bit to analyze if the XBone price drop had any effect on their lead.  $349 is a nice drop from the $499 launch price though.  Still don't feel the need to get one yet.  The Home Gold feature for XBone is nice.  Hope they eventually have that for the 360.

$349 puts me $50 closer to getting one.  I have $30 in Best Buy credit saved up and should be able to get about $100 on my PS3 (hmm, I think I swapped the hard drive so BB might not take it from me actually...).  It's possible...

So with Sunset Overdrive releasing I finally have an opportunity to use my Xbox One for its intended purposes (games) after a good number of OS updates and functionality. With the recent 2.0 firmware on the Sony side, they added Youtube uploading. Something that the One has been capable of doing since April. So tonight I had a bit of a mishap in the game and decided it would be interesting to record it and upload it. Naturally I open up Upload Studio and go through the creation process and then go to upload. I see no option for Youtube there much to my dismay. Maybe I didn't "link" my account properly? I go into settings and can't find anything on that front. I open up my Youtube app which I already had installed and was signed into so I figured I'm doing something wrong.

After about 5 minutes of fucking around, I stop and realize I have this wonderful internet thing that I can use to find answers to my questions. I did a search and found a 4 minute tutorial on how to upload clips to Youtube. So apparently on the Xbox One, you don't have a direct upload to Youtube option in Upload Studio. You have to create the clip, do all of the editing, etc. Then you have to open the Youtube app and select the upload option which then populates your clips.

*sigh* I'm a technical fucking person. I'm not some casual user here.

When someone tries to argue with me that the minute to minute use of doing gaming related functions on the Xbox One is better than its competitor I simply can't take them seriously.  It's a fucking chore to use for me. Yes Sony just added its own Youtube functionality pretty late in the game but the way its integrated makes it so stupidly simple to get what I want accomplished that I'm forever ok with the "utilitarian" look of the UI.

Full disclosure: This isn't meant as some UI/OS war commentary or to spark some console war debate. Some may feel very differently than I and that's fine but it was such a frustrating experience for me tonight that I wanted to share....

After about 5 minutes of fucking around, I stop and realize I have this wonderful internet thing that I can use to find answers to my questions.

jambi.gif

At least it worked. Uploading to YouTube on the PS4 is still a no go for me. Fails every time. I've linked my account more times than I care to admit as well.

At least it worked. Uploading to YouTube on the PS4 is still a no go for me. Fails every time. I've linked my account more times than I care to admit as well.

Not saying it doesn't happen to you or that its perfect but it worked for me last night. First try. I uploaded an Evil Within video.

What error do you get out of curiosity?