LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

On 12/22/2017 at 5:56 PM, kelley said:

I just got an X today. That hardware is nice! MS has done a fantastic job with the S and X pieces of kit. The UI is much improved over launch but still not as easy to use as the PS4. 

Yeah. I really don't understand the UI. I feel like things are constantly moving around in an effort to get me to discover new things. No. I know what I want, I know what games I have, let me at them. Get your marketers out of my experience.

9 hours ago, Josh said:

Yeah. I really don't understand the UI. I feel like things are constantly moving around in an effort to get me to discover new things. No. I know what I want, I know what games I have, let me at them. Get your marketers out of my experience.

It’s like a worse version of Apple’s TV app UX. The ads are annoying, especially after you’ve already paid for Live Gold. 

5 hours ago, kelley said:

It’s like a worse version of Apple’s TV app UX. The ads are annoying, especially after you’ve already paid for Live Gold. 

Hah, yes, that's a very fair comparison. At least AppleTV shows me what I'm in the middle of and what I've already watched, though. I know Xbox tries to do that, but it splays it among other crap they're trying to sell you.

They still do that? I nearly bought an Xbox One recently, as it was going to work out cheaper than upgrading my graphics card to move above "low" settings on Forza. But I got so annoyed with the ad-riddled mess the 360 eventually got that I not only cancelled Live Gold but unplugged my machine from the network to make them stop.

7 hours ago, iainl said:

They still do that? I nearly bought an Xbox One recently, as it was going to work out cheaper than upgrading my graphics card to move above "low" settings on Forza. But I got so annoyed with the ad-riddled mess the 360 eventually got that I not only cancelled Live Gold but unplugged my machine from the network to make them stop.

Yes, they still do that.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, kelley said:

So is the Elite controller gone?  It seems impossible to find.

It's still available at Xbox.com. Maybe it's just a hot holiday item.

Seems like it's due for an update as it doesn't have bluetooth and the original had a lot of build quality issues (I've had a bumper break and both grips start to peel).  Maybe they are trying to get v1 inventory sold before announcing it.  I still love the thing though and will probably get an updated one if they ever release it (and a warranty).

3 hours ago, Parrish said:

Seems like it's due for an update as it doesn't have bluetooth and the original had a lot of build quality issues (I've had a bumper break and both grips start to peel).  Maybe they are trying to get v1 inventory sold before announcing it.  I still love the thing though and will probably get an updated one if they ever release it (and a warranty).

Have you seen the Scuf grips for the Elite controller?  Might make a nice fix and spiff up the feel a bit.

I have 3 being used by gaming obsessed children, the oldest controller since launch, and none have any problems, including wear issues, but if they announce a V2 I'll re-buy sight unseen.

I just Krazy Glued them back on - works fine but it's not pretty.  I've read enough posts of folks with similar problems to believe it isn't an isolated issue, but it wouldn't scare me away from buying another - I would just get a replacement warranty or buy it at Costco next time around.  Three months isn't enough of a warranty for something in this price range. 

The Duke, the original Xbox controller / doorstop, returns for $70 in March (hands-on)

And yet, [Seamus] Blackley didn't exactly go on a crusade to bring The Duke back -- he says it all started when he was sorting through moving boxes, found a stash of old controllers, and tweeted a picture of one on a lark.

"I discovered to my horror and fascination that The Duke was an object of nostalgia and comfort and happiness and childhood memories, and all these people with big hands saying it was the only controller that was comfortable," he says. "One of the guys who follows me on Twitter tweets that we should re-issue it... it got nearly 2,000 likes and retweets."

This really does seem like a labor of love for Blackley. I'm glad to see it come to fruition.

The Duke is designed to be a perfect recreation of the original in size, shape, materials, and feel, except for four things: the OLED screen, the USB cable, the lack of memory card slots, and the addition of two tiny shoulder buttons above the triggers so it can play Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC-based XInput games. (You know those PC games that pop up Xbox button prompts when you plug in an Xbox controller? Those.)

And while they're a little jarring to look at and definitely a little small, they're placed well -- landing perfectly under the tips of our index fingers.

I think these are good changes to the original controller overall that will make them better to play with modern games. The original Xbox controller (particularly the S model) got a lot right, but the lack of the bumper buttons in favor of the black and white buttons was a real misstep in my opinion.

Fun vanity/nostalgia project but no interest here. The S came out and made that thing utterly needless. Looks like the horrid D pad made its return too.

On 1/12/2018 at 7:18 PM, Romier S said:

Fun vanity/nostalgia project but no interest here. The S came out and made that thing utterly needless. Looks like the horrid D pad made its return too.

I'd like to try one out again.  I did like the original Duke for the Xbox prime, but now that I'm used to the new smaller controllers, I think it'd be hard to go back.  It did help make it feel like this was a console designed for adults though.

Yeah, the Forza Horizon 3 update looks real sweet. Like they said in the video, the only real sore spot for me, is the lack of a 60fps option in the visuals. Everything else sounds fantastic though, and if they can get it running a rock-solid 30fps, that's good enough for me.

I've been (finally) playing a bunch of FH2 and have been loving it. I had purchased the game a couple years ago, but never got around to playing it much until the Xbox One X came out. It was always preempted by some other game I wanted to play first. I bought the complete add-ons pack while it was on sale over the holidays for about $30, so have the "complete" game now with all the add-ons and car packs, including Storm Island.

I will definitely be picking up Forza Horizon 3 at some point in the next year though. I'll probably wait for a price drop or a sale. If I can score the complete add-ons pack again for a good price, I'd be willing to get that as well.

Forza Horizon 3 + expansions is a seriously fantastic arcade racing experience, and one of the highpoints for me in the past few years. 

When I bought it before Christmas, it was under £25 for the game plus the Hot Wheels expansion at CD Keys. It's worth every penny, too; simply phenomenal game even though I'm running on Low settings with my GTX 770.

But as the guy in the video mentions, even on a monster PC you have to knock the settings down a touch from the highest if you want 60fps. Not so much as you'd see in movement, but it's there. 

Updated FH3 last night and was blown away instantly when I fired it up.  Just been driving around looking at the scenery.  It just looks so real.  I have the Hot Wheels expansion and that has gone up a ton in quality!  This game already looked great before the update but now it's on a totally different level!!  I picked up the game cheap with the Hot Wheels expansion on CDKeys and I will be getting the other expansion for sure.  There's just so much to do in this game, it's truly mind blowing.

The only reason I don't see myself buying the Thingy Mountain expansion any time soon is that I can't see myself ever getting to the end of the ridiculous quantity of things to do I already have.

That is definitely true.  But on reddit, a lot of people are praising it saying it's even better than the Hot Wheels one.  And I really do enjoy the Hot Wheels expansion.  However, it is true that I constantly shake my head when I check my Progression and see that I'm only at 2% completion.  LOL

One of the best things about the main game is the desert off-road slidey stuff, so I’m trying not to think too hard about the fun to be had on ice, now you mention it.