LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

For all the talk about gamepass ultimate having all the first party stuff, I found it strange that Minecraft for PC isn't included in it (although it's there on console).

Resident Evil: Revelations - 6/20 
Rare Replay - 6/20 
Torment: Tides of Numenera - 6/27 
Goat Simulator - 6/27

Note the pc/xbox platform in the header image for each title. 

• Like 3

I had no idea Rare Replay wasn't already up there, as a 1st party title. I've got the disc, mind you.

Torment is another one of those "it's supposedly very good, but I suspect I might bounce off it so I'm really glad I'm getting a try without paying" titles, so that's nice.

I thought The Rare Replay games were on GP as I revisited a bunch of them myself, but they were listed independently so perhaps they were just 360 bc titles. 

Games I see come and go on Steam sales and never buy, always showing up on Game Pass.  Yes.

Question for someone with multiple Xboxes and a bunch of digital games.  Consider this scenario:

-Xbox A: User 1 (Home Xbox), User 2 (child account)

-Xbox B: User 1 and User 2 (nobody's home console)

I know that on Xbox A, 1 and 2 can play anything 1 owns, even if offline, but I wanted to check:

-If I sign U1 and U2 into xbox B, can U2 access U1's games under their profile/saves?

-If U1 signs into Xbox B, do they get booted off Xbox A?

-If U1 signs into Xbox A offline, can they still sign into Xbox B?

Trying to figure out the best way to share games with my kids on their own profiles if multiple consoles are in the mix.

We have two consoles, three accounts. My account has gold, gamepads, any digital purchases. The 'old' Xbox is my master/primary machine, and is the one kids play on. Any account logged in to that Xbox gets gold and full access to library.

The Xbox X is in man cave. As long as my account is logged in, anyone else logged in gets full access too. I can't log in to the old Xbox and have someone on the X though, so I stick to the X . Every one has own profile for their save games/friends, migrates seamlessly.

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

The Xbox X is in man cave. As long as my account is logged in, anyone else logged in gets full access too. I can't log in to the old Xbox and have someone on the X though, so I stick to the X . Every one has own profile for their save games/friends, migrates seamlessly.

OK, that's what I thought-so logging in elsewhere will boot you off the other system.  Good to know that logging into the X gives other profiles access too. 

Mentioned this in the switch thread, but someone really needs to come up with a "family library" feature like on Google Play....  Not sure if there's a catch there that I'm missing, but it seems to work pretty well for sharing access to purchased content.  Hell, even if it's only applicable for child accounts, or accounts at the same billing address, that'd be enough.

Anything that lets people share purchases leads to people.... sharing purchases. 

That seems fine in the context of a family living in the same house but it also allows for friends and relatives not living together to share content, and it can be quite hard to control.

That might not be such a big issue when it comes to sharing mobile apps or a $10/mth subscription, but when it’s $60+ games, people are looking for just about any way to make it cheaper. 

Even with the current restrictions, people often set up their accounts in a way that lets them share games with a friend. 

Yeah, I know a couple of people who are doing the home xbox trick to share content, but honestly, is that any different from friends passing discs/carts between each other?  Thinking about things in terms of something like Gamepass, if it were to work like Netflix, I could see a premium/tiered plan of "N concurrent devices" with sub accounts. 

Great interview with Phil Spencer about the business, how he views competition, etc.

• Like 1

First batch of August Game Pass additions: 

I really didn't like Pandemic on the PC as it was clearly a mobile port with no real changes made to support PC. Anyone played the console version?

• Like 1

And from the linked article: :)

Wait, Don’t Forget This Part

Please pet your hard drive, tell it that you love it, maybe give its surroundings a nice dusting so it’s shown the proper love and respect it deserves. Then tell it sorry from us because we’re going to keep dropping games like this regularly to give it a workout.

Recently, I did the $1 upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate. Last night I was playing around on my Xbox One X and went into the My Apps and Games section on the dash. It had been a while since I had been in there (I've been playing Breath of the Wild on Switch throughout the entire month of July) and noticed for the first time that a Game Pass option had been added to the sidebar. I scrolled down to it and selected the Ready to Install tab. As I scrolled down the list, I thought to myself, Oh my, look at all the games I could play right now if I wanted to. It's one thing to see a list of all the available games on a website or on your smart phone. It's another to see them right there on your console, in the dash where they can be downloaded and played with the click of a single button. That's where the value proposition of $15/month really hits home.

My oldest boy immediately cited two titles that interested him: Farming Simulator 17 and Dirt 4. We didn't have enough time to install them before bedtime, but I've done it now thanks to the iOS app.

I'm trying to imagine what it would have been like to have had something like this as a kid, particularly during the SNES/Genesis era when games were so expensive, and I had so little money. I honestly don't know if I would have known what to do with access to that many games. Hell, I don't think I know what to do with it now as an adult. It's crazy.

• Like 3

I love what I’m seeing on that new dashboard. I still find the current one too hard to figure out. 

• Like 1

Phil Spencer is exactly who you think he is

Laura Parker, writing for GameSpot:

"I think you can probably tell by now, having spent some time with him--Phil is 100% genuine," [Keith] Garlington [a player Spencer connected with on Xbox Live] told me. "It's not a facade, and it's not for the camera. He's legitimately a good guy who loves games." For his part, [Amin] Cooper admitted he was a little starstruck when he first reached out to Spencer on Xbox Live. "He was so friendly right away," he said. "He cares about everyone who plays, no matter where they're from or what they do. That's why everybody loves him."

The downside of such public adulation is the scrutiny that inevitably comes along with it. Spencer's detractors have wondered whether he is somehow playing the long con. From a purely competitive standpoint, Xbox remains behind PlayStation and Nintendo. It's hard to know by how much: Microsoft stopped releasing sales figures for its consoles in 2014, the same year Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Would Spencer be as collegiate with his rivals if he had a competitive lead to maintain? After all, it's easy to take risks when you have nothing to lose. "I hear that a lot," Spencer told me. "That I only care about cross-platform play because we're ‘losing.' There's no way for me to disprove that other than to say it's not true. These decisions aren't part of a strategy to eke away at number one's foothold or something.

I can understand people's skepticism here. For all his affable qualities, Phil Spencer is still a high-ranking executive at one of the world's richest companies. It could very well be that all of the decisions he's made as the head of Xbox these last few years were only made to recover the market share that Microsoft lost as a result of the debacle that was the Xbox One launch -- and not because of some deeply held love of gaming or a desire to please fans.

I believe that it's a little bit of both. I get the sense that Phil does genuinely loves video games. At the same time, he is the head of Xbox. It's his job to make sure the business is as successful and profitable as possible. If what's best for Xbox means that Xbox fans get things like backward compatibility, Game Pass, excellent hardware, and a library of quality first-party titles (eventually), then everyone wins.

Anyway, GameSpot posted several other Spencer- and Xbox-related stories yesterday that are worth checking out. Here are links to all of them if you're interested:

Phil Spencer Doesn't Believe In Your Console War

The Inside Story Of The Troubled Xbox One Reveal

Phil Spencer Says Cloud Gaming Is Inevitable, But Won't Replace Consoles

Microsoft's Vision For Xbox Scarlett Is More Than Just Prettier Graphics

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Reflects On Microsoft's E3 2019

He has always been like that, even before he became head of Xbox. He should have been given the position instead of Matrick.

• Like 1

I just picked up Game Pass (that trick where you can convert three years of Gold is amazing) and there are so many games I'm looking forward to checking out on my own.  That said, I'm finding it annoying trying to figure out which games support couch multiplayer etc.  Has anyone ever seen a good spreadsheet/site where you can filter by stuff like that?  I find the official site frustratingly lacking there.  Bonus points if you can filter by Game Pass as well.

In related news, if anyone has any suggestions for a good couch multiplayer XBone game that's on Game Pass for my wife and I who isn't a big gamer.  She likes racing games (more fun/arcade-like etc than simulator) and wouldn't likely want to play shooters.  I'm hoping I can get her into some sort of adventure game, nothing too complicated/heavy.

Thanks!

Roy