LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

23 minutes ago, dogbert said:

GTA V is now on Xbox Game Pass. 

That's the version without the grass, right?

31 minutes ago, iainl said:

Can't see it on PC. Not sure I want to play it where the Xbox is. Hmm...

Xbox only at this point. I imagine Rockstar wants PC players directed towards their own platform.

Fair enough; I'm pretty surprised it's even on Xbox.

Mind you, they do seem to be all about the online with it these days, and there's quite a precedent for "pay once, then tonnes of real-money extras" non-subscription multiplayer games on Game Pass, like ESO and Black Desert.

I have the confirmation still. If they don't send out emails like I thought they would do when it happened. I’m going to contact them and see what they say. I still have a year anyway.

4 hours ago, Romier S said:

FYI....

Yep. I just looked at mine and it is indeed gone. The funny thing though is that when I try to change my billing from a 3-months to 1-month, it's giving me an error.

The good news is that I'm set for another full year (as in one year from tomorrow, in fact), so I don't have to worry about it right now.

3 minutes ago, JFo said:

Yep. I just looked at mine and it is indeed gone. The funny thing though is that when I try to change my billing from a 3-months to 1-month, it's giving me an error.

The good news is that I'm set for another full year (as in one year from tomorrow, in fact), so I don't have to worry about it right now.

Same.  Not a big deal.  I'm not due for billing again until Summer 2022, anyway.

I noticed my Xbox One X project Scorpio edition fan was running louder than usual - enough to notice during a Call of Duty campaign.

So I looked at some tear down videos and opened up the console. The thermal paste looked Like pretty cheap stuff. It was dried out and brittle as I removed it.  They also seem to have applied gobs of the stuff looked like a pretty thick pancake.

The thermal pads for the memory chips where sitting at an offset( about a good 1/3 of the area of each was not covered). I reseated them all.

I used some artic silver thermal paste which seemed to have helped quite a bit.

I was pretty impressed with how streamlined yet repairable the console is.

• Like 2

Needed to repair a controller the other day when a thumbstick snapped off.  Turned out that it wasn't the easily replaceable head, but the piece that was in the mechanism.  Could try to replace the one part, but that would mean desoldering the whole thing, and a replacement controller can be pretty cheap anyway.  That being said, we'll see how the Gorilla Glue solution holds. 

I do kind of miss screws though.  When did we decide that everything has to be held together with plastic tabs to not have exposed screw holes?  Not that they're hard to get off I suppose, but without the IFixit guides, it would have been a lot more trial and error to get inside the thing. 

5 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Needed to repair a controller the other day when a thumbstick snapped off.  Turned out that it wasn't the easily replaceable head, but the piece that was in the mechanism.  Could try to replace the one part, but that would mean desoldering the whole thing, and a replacement controller can be pretty cheap anyway.  That being said, we'll see how the Gorilla Glue solution holds. 

I do kind of miss screws though.  When did we decide that everything has to be held together with plastic tabs to not have exposed screw holes?  Not that they're hard to get off I suppose, but without the IFixit guides, it would have been a lot more trial and error to get inside the thing. 

Like most things in mass production It’s a cost saving measure ;)

More games coming to Game Pass soon, including A Plague Tale: Innocence.

I'm pretty stoked about A Plague Tale, which arrives tomorrow. That's one I've wanted to play since it came out last year. Good timing, too, as I just finished up Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order last night. 😋

• Like 1

Glad to see Plague Tale there. The game deserves a even bigger audience and I hope it leads to folks actually buying the game. Not that it didn’t already sell well as it’s getting a sequel but even more success for a great game is never a bad thing.

44 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Glad to see Plague Tale there. The game deserves a even bigger audience and I hope it leads to folks actually buying the game. Not that it didn’t already sell well as it’s getting a sequel but even more success for a great game is never a bad thing.

If you have Gold or Game Pass Ultimate, it was on sale last week for $19.99. I thought about getting it, but decided not to as I already have more than enough games in my Pile of Shame to worry about.

That said, now that it's coming to Game Pass, I'll probably bump it up to the top of the list. Go figure.

If you have Xbox Game Pass, and you buy a game, do you own it outright at that point?  I assume so. Just wondering if I use my Game Pass trial, buy a bunch of games on discount, and cancel, if I get screwed in anyway.

Just now, foogledricks said:

If you have Xbox Game Pass, and you buy a game, do you own it outright at that point?  I assume so. 

No strings. Once you buy it, it's yours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFo said:

If you have Gold or Game Pass Ultimate, it was on sale last week for $19.99. I thought about getting it, but decided not to as I already have more than enough games in my Pile of Shame to worry about.

That said, now that it's coming to Game Pass, I'll probably bump it up to the top of the list. Go figure.

Game Pass is a try before you buy service for me. Specifically try before you buy physical but if your digital and giving money to the devs/pubs, I’m not gonna quibble.:)

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Game Pass is a try before you buy service for me. Specifically try before you buy physical but if your digital and giving money to the devs/pubs, I’m not gonna quibble.:)

I'm not opposed to buying titles I've already played on Game Pass. However, the amount of money I'm willing to spend for a game I've already played -- and in most cases still have access to through the service -- is way lower. For instance, had I not been subscribed to Game Pass at the time, I would have bought Gears 5 over the holidays when it was on sale for $30 (as I did with Gear of War 4 back in 2016). I didn't though because it seemed like a waste of money to pay extra for a game I could already play (and had played at launch). At some point, yes, I would like to officially add it to my collection, but not for that much money. Maybe if it were $10 or less -- but not $30.

I still like having a big video game collection, and I still buy lots of games. However, Game Pass has me rethinking my relationship with said collection. Do I need to own every game I play? I don't think so. Do I want to own the games I love the most or the ones I'm most excited for? Absolutely. The question I have to ask is how much am I willing to pay for them now that these types of services exist?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JFo said:

I'm not opposed to buying titles I've already played on Game Pass. However, the amount of money I'm willing to spend for a game I've already played -- and in most cases still have access to through the service -- is way lower. For instance, had I not been subscribed to Game Pass at the time, I would have bought Gears 5 over the holidays when it was on sale for $30 (as I did with Gear of War 4 back in 2016). I didn't though because it seemed like a waste of money to pay extra for a game I could already play (and had played at launch). At some point, yes, I would like to officially add it to my collection, but not for that much money. Maybe if it were $10 or less -- but not $30.

I still like having a big video game collection, and I still buy lots of games. However, Game Pass has me rethinking my relationship with said collection. Do I need to own every game I play? I don't think so. Do I want to own the games I love the most or the ones I'm most excited for? Absolutely. The question I have to ask is how much am I willing to pay for them now that these types of services exist?

Yeah, I think we're on the same page/saying the same thing in a lot of ways. When I say "try before you buy", personally that means I can play a game and see if its something I want to own and then purchase. In my case, its primarily a physical purchase because I have never questioned my relationship with physical media and my collection in particular. If anything the last two years of retro gaming have only solidified my commitment to physical ownership. I simply do not buy games digitally unless they are dirt cheap or don't have any other means of playing them.

That being said, Gears 5 is a great example. I also played it on Game Pass and frankly would not have bought it if it was not on there until it had a significant price reduction. It's not a series that has a ton of appeal for me anymore but I enjoy the games fine regardless. With Game Pass though, I downloaded it and played through it and I may indeed add it to the collection eventually but not for the current price its at. I don't need to own every game I play. Just the ones that I know I'll want to play again eventually.

Another example I've mentioned is Blazing Chrome. A game I absolutely love and one that I ordered from Limited Run Games on the PS4 via their snazzy Collector's Edition. Game Pass enabled me to download and play the game without having to spend additional monies to buy it digitally. 

Other games like Outer Worlds, I bought at full price. I love Obsidian and their games and I don't mind supporting them with a full price purchase. At the same time, Game Pass saves me from having to get up and put the disc in. So I haven't even opened my physical copy as of yet but it has a place in my collection.

Short and sweet: Game Pass is a fantastic service. 

Hopefully Sony can do something similar with PS Now in the coming years and I'll happily sub to that as well.

48 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Other games like Outer Worlds, I bought at full price. I love Obsidian and their games and I don't mind supporting them with a full price purchase. At the same time, Game Pass saves me from having to get up and put the disc in. So I haven't even opened my physical copy as of yet but it has a place in my collection.

The Outer Worlds is another Game Pass title I have installed and ready to go. I have not play many (or any?) Obsidian games, so I don’t have the reverence for them that others do. That’s a great example of a game that interests me, but I don’t know if I would buy it outright, sight unseen.

A month or two ago, I remember hearing Ian Hinck of Easy Allies talk about a conversation he had with some people that worked at Obsidian. He asked them whether or not it was better if people bought The Outer Worlds outright rather than play it on Game Pass. Their response: We love it if you play it on Game Pass (or something to that effect). They didn’t seem to have any hesitation about people playing it on there rather than buying it.

Hinck did acknowledge that Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft, so that may play a factor in what they said. Still it sounds like playing it on Game Pass doesn’t necessarily mean you’re screwing over the developers (at least one would hope).

51 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Hopefully Sony can do something similar with PS Now in the coming years and I'll happily sub to that as well.

I think we both know what Sony needs to do there: make their first-party titles available on PS Now day and date with the retail release.

15 minutes ago, JFo said:

The Outer Worlds is another Game Pass title I have installed and ready to go. I have not play many (or any?) Obsidian games, so I don’t have the reverence for them that others do. That’s a great example of a game that interests me, but I don’t know if I would buy it outright, sight unseen.

A month or two ago, I remember hearing Ian Hinck of Easy Allies talk about a conversation he had with some people that worked at Obsidian. He asked them whether or not it was better if people bought The Outer Worlds outright rather than play it on Game Pass. Their response: We love it if you play it on Game Pass (or something to that effect). They didn’t seem to have any hesitation about people playing it on there rather than buying it.

Hinck did acknowledge that Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft, so that may play a factor in what they said. Still it sounds like playing it on Game Pass doesn’t necessarily mean you’re screwing over the developers (at least one would hope).

I think we both know what Sony needs to do there: make their first-party titles available on PS Now day and date with the retail release.

On the Obsidian comment - yeah that’s a nice politically correct statement to make when the folks who sign your checks are running the service.;)

Ask the independent Obsidian that years ago struggled to make a game like Pillars of Eternity (or its sequel which hasn’t done as well) with a kickstarter campaign and your going to get a demonstrably different answer.

The reason Game Pass is worth putting your game onto is to hopefully drive the consumer to play the game and like it enough to buy the game. If that wasn’t happening, it wouldn’t have near the content it does. I’d be curious to see if there’s any money exchange when Microsoft adds a game to it as well.

As for Sony - yeah that’s not gonna happen anytime soon and you know why. That doesn’t mean that PS Now can’t evolve into a worthwhile service either. I spend far more time playing indie and third party games on Game Pass than I do MS first party games.

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The reason Game Pass is worth putting your game onto is to hopefully drive the consumer to play the game and like it enough to buy the game. If that wasn’t happening, it wouldn’t have near the content it does. I’d be curious to see if there’s any money exchange when Microsoft adds a game to it as well.

MS absolutely pays a fee for Game Pass titles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

MS absolutely pays a fee for Game Pass titles. 

Figured as much. Make sense as a carrot in case the end goal of driving sales doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Figured as much. Make sense as a carrot in case the end goal of driving sales doesn't happen.

The extra dashboard advertising/placement is obviously nice, as is any DLC sales (and I suspect game pass customers are good consumers of DLC, even for games they don't really "own"), and any extra sales of the game. But the up front lump cash payment, possibly for a game that's crested the top of its sales curve? Yum. 

• Like 2

The nice thing about the digital future is that, in most cases, there's no FOMO on a game completely.  Unless you hit a rare case of something being delisted, the games are up on the digital storefront forever, so if you want to go back and revisit something from game pass that's been removed, it's usually only a couple of clicks away.  It's definitely changed my buying habits from collecting stuff that I "might want to play again" (and rarely do), to "if I want to play this again, I'll buy it then".  Much cheaper that way :)

This evening, out of the blue, my oldest boy Aaron (7) said that he wanted to get this game called Tracks on Xbox. He was watching a video on YouTube Kids that featured it and thought it looked fun. It's a game where you can build wooden toy railroad tracks and ride around on them inside the toy locomotive in first-person view.

Skeptical, I grabbed my iPad and looked it up in the Xbox Store. I wanted to see what this game was about — and more importantly — how much it cost.

Surprise! It's on Game Pass! After a quick download (the game is less than 700MB), he was off building elaborate track sets and having a blast. He informed me he might just play it forever.

• Like 1