LCVG

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy Fucking Shit! Look at this message I just got on Twitter from the official Xbox account:     I guess I made the right move by not buying Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order yet, huh

This is fantastic to see:       PC compatible too of course.  

Well Amazon delivered a day early and my X is sitting boxed in its X box box in the corner. I wasn’t prepared for this at all as I’m trying to press on with God of War. I’ll make some time later to ge

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Nice!  That was another game that I remember having really mixed impressions at launch.  Is it worth playing now?

They've added so, so, so, much since launch. 

I've enjoyed getting back to it at times when they do big updates. Ultimately, it's just not a game that hooks me for long periods, and the best way I can describe it is the gameplay loop feels more like work or real life chores and management than a game. The last time I played I enjoyed digging up rare fossils as I found a planet that was full of them, but ultimately I get to the point of thinking, "why am I doing this?".

21 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

The last time I played I enjoyed digging up rare fossils as I found a planet that was full of them, but ultimately I get to the point of thinking, "why am I doing this?".

And I think that's perfectly fine. It's like Animal Crossing in a sense. OK, it lacks the characters and the humour of AC, but it's similarly quirky, unique, and... kind of pointless, and yet also something you can kick back and chill out with for short periods. The visual aesthetic of No Man's Sky really helps it too. Elite is still the more rewarding and deep experience, but NMS has done enough now to carve something for itself I think. 

The more I played of both, the less like each other they felt. Elite is about the scary dark loneliness of a space that’s out to kill you, coupled to an intensely physical relationship to your spaceship that feels and sounds like an object. 

No Man’s Sky, however, is at its core when you’re exploring a lush alien environment by foot; the ships (and now other vehicles) are just how you get from one place to the next. 

You’re never going to accidentally recreate Millburn’s cooing over an alien in Prometheus while playing Elite. But you’re never going to be Han begging the Falcon to hold together in NMS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Coming_Soon_AllTitles_6.10_JPG.jpg?w=153

Coming Soon

Bard’s Tale Remastered and Resnarkled (Console & PC)  June 18
Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 (PC)  June 11
Battletech (PC)  June 11
Dungeon of the Endless (Console & PC)  June 11
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 & 2.5 ReMix (Console)  June 11
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (Console)  June 11
No Man’s Sky (Console & PC)  June 11
Thronebreaker (Console) – June 18

Leaving June 15

• Book of Demons (PC)
  • Everspace (Console & PC)
  • Resident Evil Revelations (Console)
  • Riptide GP: Renegade (Console & PC)
  • Riverbond (Console & PC)
  • Samorost 3 (PC)
  • Screamride (Console)
  • Superhot (Console & PC)
  • Supermarket Shriek (Console & PC)
  • The Last Door: Season 2 (PC)
  • The Stillness of the Wind (PC)

Some good stuff on that list!  I was actually looking at those KH games and thinking whether I wanted to go back to those, or just try to play 3 (or not bother at all, which might be the best move of all).  I'm also interested in finally trying out No Man's Sky, so for the low price of free, why not? 

I forgot that they did that port of the Bard's Tale...I remember liking that game back on the original Xbox.  Some fun writing in it, but not sure how it holds up.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, dogbert said:

Yep, enjoyed it too. It's not too long, lots of interesting puzzles, and great atmosphere. Perfect for Game Pass ;) 

I might download and replay it soon. I bought it on the PS4. I'd love to get a physical copy eventually but yeah you're spot on. It doesn't overstay its welcome and it has an interesting story as a reward.

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

The little details are impressive.

I want it but I already own 2 X’s and we’re way too close to the next gen consoles launching. If I was gong to spend $400 on top of the PS5, I’d do it on the Series X.

14 hours ago, Romier S said:

I want it but I already own 2 X’s and we’re way too close to the next gen consoles launching. 

Are the two you own both standard models, or was one of them a ltd edition? I never expected the one I ended up with (a Battlefield bundle) to have a silver tone to it. It was quite nice. 

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Are the two you own both standard models, or was one of them a ltd edition? I never expected the one I ended up with (a Battlefield bundle) to have a silver tone to it. It was quite nice. 

One standard and one is the launch edition “Project Scorpio” model.

Genuinely even worse than I remembered. 

It’s remarkable how far they’ve come in the last few years of the system and under Spencer. I know we’ve had the SeriesX hardware reveal, but nevertheless the July presentation is going to be really interesting as they’ve got a lot to prove this time around. I hope they deliver the goods.

Not part of the show, but brought up my Richard in their commentary, I forgot about Matrick’s response to those wanting a games console and saying during an E3 interview that “we have a product for those people. It’s called Xbox360.”

It’s astonishing how they torpedoed the confidence so many had in the brand with the XB1’s launch. That presentation and E3 absolutely obliterated any interest I might have had in the system. 

Such an interesting time because there was some feeling that there were no longer room for consoles, everything would be mobile, etc.

Also funny to me because this was right when I got back into gaming after dropping out a lot the previous gen. 

24 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Such an interesting time because there was some feeling that there were no longer room for consoles, everything would be mobile, etc.

Also funny to me because this was right when I got back into gaming after dropping out a lot the previous gen. 

E3 was such an entertaining pantomime that year that it probably did a lot to bolster my wavering interest in games again too. MS deserved all that ridicule.

I can only think of the Wii U reveal as the only time, in the age of being able to watch console reveals live, that I had been left similarly flabbergasted, but at least with the U I was still invested in Nintendo’s games, and unlike Microsoft they were not intimating that gaming was suddenly now of secondary concern to them.

I’m anxious about the July event. They’ve done so well with Gamepass, the S and the X, but they have a hurdle to jump in order to explain where they are now and where they want to go next to a wider audience. I’m becoming increasingly concerned about the less powerful “lockheart” Xbox too, not so much that it could exist, more that it might exist this holiday season. I just don’t know how they do that without fudging their messaging and focus on the SeriesX. I really hope we see and hear nothing about it until 2021.