LCVG

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy Fucking Shit! Look at this message I just got on Twitter from the official Xbox account:     I guess I made the right move by not buying Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order yet, huh

This is fantastic to see:       PC compatible too of course.  

Well Amazon delivered a day early and my X is sitting boxed in its X box box in the corner. I wasn’t prepared for this at all as I’m trying to press on with God of War. I’ll make some time later to ge

Posted Images

So one big question I would have - is the activation code tied to the CONSOLE or my XBL profile? That's an important distinction. If it's tied to my profile, I can theoretically take a game to a friends house and log in with my XBL username/password and have access to all of my "activated" games. That's how Steam generally works. If it's tied to the console ala Nintendo with its VC downloads - then a big fucking LOL to that shit.

Coincidentally...I've been playing some older games on Steam lately, and I like it  (and the fact that old games are still playable) a lot. I also connected XBMC to my TV, which I like a lot too...maybe it is truly the resurgence of the PC.

Trying to think of console exclusives that I would really miss on PC... /crickets

It's Steam without any of the value.... Oh wait, no. This will mean an end to $60 console games now, right? .... Right? ..... Hello?

Exactly, they pass the savings on to ... their bank account.

This MS release is like watching a teenager fumble through their first finger bang in the back of a parked car.  As if that wasn't bad enough, they threw in the bonus of wondering if the object of affection is possibly your grandmother or favorite nun.  Just friggin' awful MS.

Yes, you are all welcome in advance for the imagery.

Coincidentally...I've been playing some older games on Steam lately, and I like it  (and the fact that old games are still playable) a lot. I also connected XBMC to my TV, which I like a lot too...maybe it is truly the resurgence of the PC.

Trying to think of console exclusives that I would really miss on PC... /crickets

I'm ready and available if you'd like help building a gaming PC.;)

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

crocbfuvg.gif

Major Nelson:

Major Nelson just posted this:

Quote:

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios.

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

What's irksome to me is what I have written before, that I can see all this happening and these details will just be in teeny tiny print buried on the back of the console boxes on store shelves amongst all the copyright notices. How does the message get across to consumers before they buy this thing? How many parents will know? How many college students will know? It isn't something you can weave into TV spots and print ads. What the hell happens if you don't connect after 24hrs?

You know, if Sony are smart - and we know Cerny is very much on the ball - they'll be watching all these details come out from Microsoft and they'll be monitoring how the press and the core audience are reacting. I've little belief the PS4 will launch without similar activation requirements. I just can't fathom one console doing it and not the other at the risk of losing some major third party support. What I DO think, however, is that Sony could take all this information and formulate a less harmful way of delivering what the publishers want, whilst not harming the consumer quite as much. It does bring me back to my question though. Yoshida noted back in February that online activation is something they would leave up to the publisher and not something SCE had personally taken an interest in. So what's worse for the consumer? If it's optional for publishers, or mandatory? Mandatory across all software at least brings consistency. Make it one big free for all and many may find it an even bigger headache when game x imposes certain demands restrictions whilst game y does not. Either scenario presents the problem of how you clearly explain these requirements to the customer.

The game 'ownership' seems to be very much in the same vain of XBLA right now.

The game is owned by your gamertag, but anyone on that first machine has access to it also.  Try to use it anywhere else, you need to log in, or pay again.

Yeah, curious how that ownership transfer works in the realm of retail. How is the game deactivated and then reactivated for the new owner? Similar questions came up during the Sony conference if memory serves.

Despite my beliefs that the PS4 will have similar restrictions in some fashion, it does beg the question.... where are the rumours suggesting as much? We have little pieces, vague answers to questions from February that point towards online activation being up to the publisher, but pretty much every MS leak on this subject was on the money. PS4 leaks, aside from its RAM, prior to the February event were on the money. EDGE's sources are on a bloody roll in feeding them good info on both consoles.... and yet still no rumours about precisely how PS4 will handle similar situations. 

So, what did I miss?  Kidding, I just read all six pages of this thread and checked out the recap of the presentation.  Sounds like everything is clear as mud.  Nothing very positive jumps out at me, that is for sure.  But did I read right that this one is 359 less than the last model?  That is positively shocking.  At least Sony gave us one MORE.  I keed, I keed.

Anyway.  Yeah.  Can't say it all got me very excited.

Yeah, curious how that ownership transfer works in the realm of retail. How is the game deactivated and then reactivated for the new owner? Similar questions came up during the Sony conference if memory serves.

I'm not sure yet.  They keep saying you can sell your used games, but the skeptic in me is thinking that "Sure you can sell the disc, but not the license.  The game is always yours."  

The disc is worth about $1 to save someone with a slow internet connection the trouble of downloading it.

I'm sort of not excited either positively or negatively for the PS4 or Xbox One.  Developers/Publishers have the SDKs, these machines are incredibly powerful compared to their aging predecessors, they both use an x86 processor, and both Sony and Microsoft are going to market the hell out of these things.  Basically we are going to see a shit ton of content for these machines over the next eight years and I imagine either will ultimately serve my needs.  I'll wait for the nuances that I care about to come into focus over the next 6 months before figuring out which one I'll invest in.

I will say this though.  Had Microsoft had backwards compatibility, they would have the upperhand, since I've purchased a lot of content for the 360.  Since the Xbox One is the same as the PS4 insofar as its ability to play Xbox 360 games, I'm pretty much open to either platform.  So you screwed up their MS.

Indie game devs chime in:

Rami Ismail, Vlambeer

“We think it’s interesting that Microsoft is taking the Xbox away from gaming as its core business, but it was sort of weird watching this event go down. We did see some indie developers in the opening video, so there obviously is an indie strategy somewhere, but I don’t think we know a thing about Xbox One and gaming – they still have to show their hand with regards to that at E3. The whole presentation felt sort of awkward, but the D-pad looks really nice. Sadly, at this point the thing we’re looking forward to most for the Xbox One is Skype on our TV.”

Philip Tibitoski, Young Horses

“As an indie and developer the Xbox One reveal didn’t really say anything to me. The stuff with fantasy sports is cool and all, but I was more interested in seeing how the marketplace/store might have changed or how discovery was being handled. This reveal was for a different audience and I’ll be interested to see what they talk about at E3 when they’re ready to talk software.

“Are they opening up avenues for smaller developers? We’ve seen efforts from the other big players like Steam Greenlight, or what Sony has been up to with PS3 and Vita, or even the recent announcements of PS4 indies like Hohokum. Mobile is open and Sony is opening up while making developer-related processes more simplistic to focus on games. What exactly is Microsoft planning for this to be on parity with others? I can’t tell from what they’ve revealed so far, except that there are smaller developers shown in the opening video reel.”

Ben Kane, Going Loud Studios

“While it wasn’t the content I hoped to learn about, I do accept that Microsoft’s living room strategy has many facets beyond gaming, and that’s what today was about. I’ll wait to hear more about Xbox Live, digital distribution, the marketplace, and where indies fit in. I don’t think there was a message here for indie developers, but I also don’t read anything nefarious from that. The presentation was simply directed at a different aspect of ‘living room entertainment.’

“An Xbox Live Indie Games successor, whether direct (a premium-but-open service where anyone can make and sell games) or spiritual (a more open XBLA-style partnership hopefully with a much lower barrier for entry) would be at the top of my list for things I’d like to see at the E3 presentation.”

James Silva, Ska Studios

“As a consumer, I’m excited. We use an Xbox 360 as an entertainment hub anyway, so getting a more robust, snappier version of that is a win. And lag-free Kinect is something I really, really wanted the instant Kinect 1.0 debuted, so that’s great.

“As a developer of semi-simple 2D indie games, I’m looking forward to playing with one, though our style isn’t going anywhere – it’ll just end up with some more gratuitously excessive particle systems.”

Brian Provinciano, Vblank Entertainment

“Their intention from the first Xbox was to own the living room, and the evolution of the 360 showed this trajectory in motion. The Xbox One is them realizing this vision. The problem is, they’re leaving core gamers behind. You would’ve thought that the reaction to their E3 2012 press conference would’ve been a wake up call, but they’re on a different course. They see more money in general entertainment, media and ads than core gamers. They see dollar signs with subscription fees. They want the revenue stream that cable providers and phone carriers have been enjoying. I’m certain that the Xbox One will launch with the base price plus a 2 – 3 year contract. The unfortunate thing about this is that many consumers will be fooled by the lower price point, even though they’ll end up paying more in the long run.

“They’re preaching TV services to gamers and gamer press, the exact group of people who will be least receptive to it. Microsoft’s direction isn’t in line with E3, it’s in line with CES.

“Despite delaying their announcement a month, they still failed to capitalize on the opportunity to recalibrate after the PS4 announcement. I’m quite surprised by how limited their attempts were to one-up the PS4.

“Prior to this conference, I was expecting that at least during the E3 presentation, Microsoft would pander to indies in some way. They remain the only platform which prevents self-publishing. I wouldn’t expect anything other than just talk from them, but I was expecting them to address indies nonetheless. However, after this, I could see them leaving indies out completely. After all, they have their eye on the average consumer, not the core gamer. Average consumers aren’t as versed in the ‘indie’ game scene.”

Phil Fish, Polytron

“What a giant load of shit that was! All buzzwords! They talked for an hour and basically said nothing. What does ‘always ready’ mean?”

“There was absolutely nothing relevant to me in that presser. Nothing about digital distribution or indies. Nothing at all.”

Also:

"Fans of Rare and Rare IP I think will be pleased with what we're going to show at E3," Spencer said. "We had a limited amount of time today and a lot of story to tell. But Rare remains an incredibly important part of our development capability.

"That historic IP that they've built I think can play a real important role on Xbox One."

This is relevant to my interests.:D