LCVG

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy Fucking Shit! Look at this message I just got on Twitter from the official Xbox account:     I guess I made the right move by not buying Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order yet, huh

This is fantastic to see:       PC compatible too of course.  

Well Amazon delivered a day early and my X is sitting boxed in its X box box in the corner. I wasn’t prepared for this at all as I’m trying to press on with God of War. I’ll make some time later to ge

Posted Images

Phil Spencer on Forza 5 and Ryse microtransactions:

http://kotaku.com/whats-next-for-the-xbox-one-1471212785?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

And if fans don't like a micropayment? Don't buy it. Spencer said that he's making sure that all of the Xbox One game include feedback mechanisms that allow Microsoft to closely track what gamers buy. "I want to be able to learn from what we put in," he said. "So let's make sure we are crafting the game and the analytics so we can see what the consumers—the gamers—like and don't—if you assume buying habits are a reflection of what people like. So that we can craft the experience better for the gamer."

Spencer is aware of a need to have some limits, but doesn't yet draw many lines. "It's easy to say something like, 'I'll never allow somebody to buy the win of the game, I won't let them buy victory,' but that's kind of a trite answer. I'd say, 'Yeah, I guess I have that line, that [we wouldn't have] "Pay five bucks and get 1000 achievements" or something stupid like that.' I'm always pushing against that. But, in reality, that's not what the gamers are looking for. They're usually looking for customization and their gameplay style opening up."

You heard it here, folks. Vote with your wallet. Right there from the horses

ass

mouth.

To make it clear: People buy it then we'll keep doing it and the only limit in terms of what we'll do is what the market will bear. An astoundingly frank answer hidden in a whole lot of marketing/PR speak.

On the positive front, Microsoft have acknowledged the disc drive issues and are taking care of their customers:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/microsoft-admits-xbox-one-disc-drive-glitch-192350019.html

Microsoft says the problem is only affecting a small number of users, though it did not quantify that number any further.

Affected users have a couple of options, says the company. While waiting on a replacement console, Microsoft says it will provide users with a free digital download of one of the first-party launch titles (including Ryse: Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3 and Forza Motorsport 5). Customers also don't have to return their broken system first to get a replacement sent out.

Is it any worse than the crap EA was pulling with its sports games and basically selling level up packs or cheats?

First of all, when you wall off a portion of your game behind a grind-fest, yes. Cheats and level up packs didn't wall off significant game content more often than not.

Secondly is that supposed to somehow excuse it?

Yes, please Phil add a free to play monetization model to a game that costs $60 at retail and the same price to buy digitally. It's ok, EA did it! ;)

Setting aside the sarcasm though, this goes back to a fundamental issue I had with the DRM nonsense. Microsoft has said that they never got the chance to prove out how XBox One could have been the next Steam in terms of offering price discounts and VALUE in place of lack of physical ownership. From a company who's head of their development studios just told you to STFU and don't buy it if you don't like your $60 game being F2P monetized, their DRM proposition was god damned laughable at best.

Is it any worse than the crap EA was pulling with its sports games and basically selling level up packs or cheats? 

Considering you pay real money for DLC cars, which you still have to use in game currency to unlock. If its a super car, you will have to grind hours upon hours to get the money to unlock it, or spend more real money for tokens to unlock it. I love Forza to death, and they started this shit in Forza 4. Its even worse now since there is far less in the game.

-Dean-

Shouldn't necessarily just point the finger at MS here, mind you. Isn't Gran Turismo 6 looking almost as shady as Forza 5?

Yep. It will feature a similar model though Sony hasn't come out and said whether the cars and parts are unlockable and how they would be. Nor how much credits would cost in real world money.

You know I'm fine with all of this if the game itself was free off the bat or heavily discounted ($20) for a handful of content. Charging $60 above the microtransactions is scummy.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/11/18/gran-turismo-6-digital-pre-order-now-available-in-game-credits-detailed/

iRacing on PC has also been doing it for a while. Here's an article:https://www.develop-online.net/news/gran-turismo-6-fueled-by-microtransactions/0186279

iRacing is a little different though. You don't "buy" a game. You sign up for a subscription that gets you continued content services. It's almost like a racing MMO. If Microsoft want to move Forza and Gran Turismo to a subscription based content model and charge a yearly rate? Ok. Then provide content packs and tracks on a regular basis like iRacing does. Forego that little disc with the number after the title and $60 buy-in that gets you walled off content behind an in-game grind. There's a reason most MMO's have gone F2P.

That's not what's happening here. F2P models and subscription based content services aren't the same thing.

Edit: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=91224121

454 hours to unlock all of the cars in the game if you're not using real money and that's with a accumulation rate of 230k CR/hr.

You know I'm fine with all of this if the game itself was free off the bat or heavily discounted ($20) for a handful of content. Charging $60 above the microtransactions is scummy.

Exactly.  F2P, if you are smart, you can discover within an hour or so...oh, hey, this is a stupid grindfest and I have no further interest in it, and you are only out that hour.  Doing that on something you are charging full price for up front is just complete BS, I would be furious (though honestly, I don't blind buy games anyway).

Even the first Gran Turismo was a massive grind to earn in-game credits to pay for your vehicles, and Forza borrowed that directly. The ability to skip grind by buying in-game money was new in Forza 4, but is hardly surprising given seemingly every F2P game does this.

What we need to see is how awful they've made GT6 and F5's grinds in an attempt to persuade you to spend money, I guess. With F4 giving cars away every few races I never really felt that desperately short of cash, except for the time I looked at getting the achievement for collecting particular cars.

The F5 decision to launch with far fewer cars in the box than previous games, but a massive, constant stream of DLC purchases, is far more galling.

First of all, when you wall off a portion of your game behind a grind-fest, yes. Cheats and level up packs didn't wall off significant game content more often than not.

Secondly is that supposed to somehow excuse it?

No, that wasn't meant to excuse it-it was more speculating that it's nothing new.  From the sounds of things it's getting much worse though.  I have to wonder if it's more a problem of development costs rising combined with a complete unwillingness to budge from the $60 price point.  Of course, it could also just be simple greed in thinking "here's a way to get more money out of people", which is a lot more insidious.  Is there a global option anywhere that just says "don't ask me about spending real money again in this game", or is it always in your face about upgrades from the "real money" store? 

Is there a global option anywhere that just says "don't ask me about spending real money again in this game", or is it always in your face about upgrades from the "real money" store?

There's a link at the top and bottom of the pre-race menu screen that says "Press Y to level faster" and "Accelerator."

You can see it in the Giant Bomb quick look here at about the 7:12 mark:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-forza-motorsport-5/2300-8249/?comment_page=3&page=1

So I went and recalibrated the mic on the kinect again last night, but this time turned my speakers all the way up.  Got the "your speakers are too loud" warning, then went down a dB at a time until it continued. End result is that voice commands work at a normal speaking volume, and seem to be more accurate now.  Also played a little more KI, and hit a point where I was playing survival mode, wanted to quit to to bed for the night, but didn't want to lose the progress I had.  Then I remembered that I can just suspend and resume the game from that point later  :)  Very nice feature!

Have we talked about the installation times on Xbox One?  What, exactly, is the console doing when installing games that takes so damn long?  I just don't get it.

My guess is copying the full contents of the BR to the hard drive in the background.  Probably has to do it at a lower priority too, so that you can do something else that uses the drive while the install is happening. 

Actually, one thing I haven't tried-what happens if you power the system off (into the "suspend" mode) while a game is installing, or downloading?  There's no option like on the 360 for turning the system off once a download is completed, so I'm guessing that if you have suspend enabled, it's as if this option is always on, and it'll finish what it's doing? 

In any case, I know I've gotten used to installing 360 games, so I figure with XB1 stuff, I'll just pop the disc in before I have any intention of starting a game so it's queued up and ready to go when I do want to play (so it'll go in the background while watching TV or something).  I do want to try out the "minimum install" option though, so I'll see what that does when I crack Dead Rising open. 

Have we talked about the installation times on Xbox One?  What, exactly, is the console doing when installing games that takes so damn long?  I just don't get it.

I mentioned it earlier in my little mini-review. I was amazed at how long it took to install most of the games I tried on it.

Actually, one thing I haven't tried-what happens if you power the system off (into the "suspend" mode) while a game is installing, or downloading?  There's no option like on the 360 for turning the system off once a download is completed, so I'm guessing that if you have suspend enabled, it's as if this option is always on, and it'll finish what it's doing?

It picks right back up where it left off. You may get a ton of notifications that the game stopped installing though. I took the ACIV disc out of the Xbox One in the middle of install and was greeted to like 6 error messages about the game not being able to install. When I popped the disc back in, it immediately picked up right where it left off. I'm betting the same will happen if you turn the console off as long as the game disc remains in the drive. It seems smart enough to know where it left off.