LCVG

Anthem - Bioware's Destiny (PS4, XB1, PC)

You may not dig Joe’s “angry” thing but it’s a pretty thorough review. (He played 30+ hours) It’s quite long....

The stuff about the way loot is implemented, the mission structure and lack of anything memorable in its mission design/story is not something I want to hear from a BioWare game. I didn’t have much interest in this to begin with but reviews like this are pretty common right now.:/

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anthem is officially dead in terms of development.    

For me the gunplay was pretty poor - it was improved after some patching but, not comparable to Destiny or anything else really. The game remained pretty buggy and this wasn’t a floating coffee cup or

Here's my VIP Demo Friend Code link.  It's good for three uses, so first come, first served!    https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/anthem-demos/redeem?token=MXBIUm1ubz0jTSMxMDAwMDIwODA0ODgy

Posted Images

It doesn’t really seem like a game that has been in development for six years. I wonder if when Casey came back, the game was a mess and they scrapped a lot of what they already had and started over. I feel like there is something to build on but I don’t trust EA to give them the time and resources needed. I hope I’m wrong, because I really like what’s there. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if they moved some people over to Respawn, with the majority starting Dragon Age, leaving just a skeletal crew to give the perception that they are still working on their “10 year plan” while letting the game slowly die.

I’m enjoying the game myself (lvl 16 now) and they just absolutely nailed the flying. They’ve also patched it and improved it over even just the past week so that’s encouraging but, the story has been pretty thin and as I already bitched about, several of the bugs from beta are still there so that worries me for the long term with this one...

I'm still loving the game, now that I finally got past the Tombs roadblock (which WAS annoying.)

The story has me sucked in and was "legit shook" when a certain event occurred.  I didn't realize I was that invested until then.

Spoiler

Owen's heel turn came out of nowhere for me, and genuinely upsetting.  I had to stop playing for a bit afterward.  I'm a dork. lol

Now is the start of a 4-day 12hr shift workweek, meaning not much time to play between now and next Sunday.  /sadface

I found that event surprising as well and was a big turning point but, I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. Is there a different path for that event to take based on your dialog options?

I have to also temper everything in Anthem with how buggy it all still is :( I’ve found that I can usually tell when I’ve dropped into a bad “instance” as there will be noticeable jitter and pop-in. If I end the session immediately and start a new one I’m usually ok but, bad sessions still happen everyday so far which is disappointing.

I also desperately need a fast travel option in town to jump between all the NPC’s to go through their dialog. 

15 hours ago, Magness said:

I found that event surprising as well and was a big turning point but, I’m not sure how I feel about it yet. Is there a different path for that event to take based on your dialog options?

I have to also temper everything in Anthem with how buggy it all still is :( I’ve found that I can usually tell when I’ve dropped into a bad “instance” as there will be noticeable jitter and pop-in. If I end the session immediately and start a new one I’m usually ok but, bad sessions still happen everyday so far which is disappointing.

I also desperately need a fast travel option in town to jump between all the NPC’s to go through their dialog. 

I am not sure if dialog choices change anything or not.  I'll have to play through the story on a different character and choose all the "dickhead" responses to see.  :)

I have not experienced too many bugs on the X1 version of Anthem, but have seen some whoppers when they do show up.  I hope they will get things fixed sooner rather than later.  

I find I don't have too much trouble getting around town once I learned the layout and the sprint option (although it's really more of a fast walk than a sprint)  :D

2 hours ago, Whooter said:

find I don't have too much trouble getting around town once I learned the layout and the sprint option (although it's really more of a fast walk than a sprint)  :D

True :) I’m getting around quicker but, I’ll sit in the launch bay every time if I can - rather than pull missions from the individual NPC’s. Having said that, one of the NPC dialogs that are NOT mission or faction related took a surprising turn for me today too. I was only finding it passibly interesting and then, wham - twisty-ness. It was good and again, surprising. Another good thing is that the loot patch is out today. This fixes the bonus effects on loot to make them actually relevant which is good. So now you won’t get a pistol weapon drop that increases assault rifle ammo capacity, or a Storm upgrade that affects missles, etc...

• 1 month later...

That article is insanity and a must read. They didn’t even know what the game was until 2017 much less produce a working build with content. The E3 trailer was basically all bullshit (and finally cemented the direction of the game) and even worse, BioWare Austin who had actual experience with live service games were relegated to B team status and ignored despite raising red flags throughout. 

What a disaster. Seriously, read the article. It’s sourced to 19 (!!) developers from Bioware.

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, Graeme said:
Interesting. Since it’s EA, they’ll probably just shut it down. 

I was just talking to someone today how dangerous February/March are for projects, and how much a release of a game during March is a bad sign of quality, at EA. 

What’s actually wrong with it, having never loaded myself? Obvious contenders include the decision to switch to 3rd person for the shooting rather than vice versa, not enough variation in the dress-up, or just How Mass Effect shooting is a dull, fiddly mess compared to Halo’s, and Destiny is much better at it than even that. 

For me the gunplay was pretty poor - it was improved after some patching but, not comparable to Destiny or anything else really. The game remained pretty buggy and this wasn’t a floating coffee cup or anything - this was a failed instance (several times) that meant a complete restart was required and it could happen in the middle of missions, etc. Movement was still way to “floaty” and didn’t ever have a consistent feel. The loot rotation was broken (badly) at first and they did improve that over time but, it never got good I would say; only not broken. The story was completely disjointed and while it had some cool moments it was never good. As posted previously I hated the 1st person/3rd person camera switch too but, it’s pretty minor compared to the other issues.

To be fair to them: They did patch it and get the game to a more playable state eventually and the graphics were really good from the start. I also liked the javelin suits and switching classes by switching suits was a cool mechanic. And the jet pack flying was awesome

• 3 weeks later...