LCVG

God of War (PS4) Coming April 20th 2018. New trailer and more

More thoughts as I sit at my desk listening to the score. The ending is just so masterfully handled isn't it?

Spoiler

Those two little heart stoppers. The first you see coming, expecting it to reveal either the end of Kratos or Atreus as the cloth lifts on the wall revealing the final piece of the mural, and I expected that to come with another sudden battle at the summit, but no, it's been saved for another day. Then at the summit itself we get that Loki reveal which almost had me gasping. The whole game is such a delight, but it's those tender moments that really help it hit home, with McCreary's score pushing it all even further.

Though easier to associate game music with a specific level or character, it's rarer for it to do what film music does for me and evoke the memory of a specific scene or piece of imagery, but the sombre choir at the end here when the last piece of the mural is revealed sticks with me.

"We're so close to the end now!"

"... yes we are"

Quite wonderful. 

There's so much love and respect for Greek and Norse mythologies in the game too. The crossover is so well handled. It's amusing, frustrating and exciting wanting to keep paying and do every last thing in this game, while Forza horizon 4 is pulling at me in a similar way over on the Xbox. I must see if I can try to finish up what remains here before Smash lands then I can focus on what games I want to push through on Xbox and also give Dec to Spider-man. Games, games, games...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It looks like we're getting a PS5 upgrade for free.     I really hope we see Sony do more of these for their first-party titles. I definitely want to see Uncharted 4 running at 60f

BOY(s)!.... I got the platinum.    Even deferring to easy for that Valkyrie queen was punishing. I actually got her down to a quarter of her final bar of life on my third try only for her to

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

God of War's "Favor Performance" mode provide up to 60fps on PS5. Curious to see how consistent it is but considering it ran in the 45fps range on the Pro, it will likely be pretty close to a consistent 60.  

Also, Save files for both God of War III Remaster and God of War will also transfer to the PS5:

Nice! That's why I ran it in the high res mode, since it was locked 30FPS. Also why I'm itching for all these hdmi 2.1 shenanigans to be resolved - I would really like to see VRR in action and feel how it affects the gameplay feel if you don't have locked 60FPS.

I'm hoping for some good LG CX Deals on black friday. Looks like LG's solution is the only one mature enough at this point to support VRR + HDR + Up to 120Hz 4K.

• 3 months later...

Very cool. I would love to see more. 

The Last Guardian needs a damned patch to unlock the framerate again.

There's rumors that Death Stranding is getting a PS5 patch soon.

The first Horizons is a definite candidate.

Both Uncharted games.

The Last of Us part II is the dream. The question is does Sony want to just do a quick patch or a full on next gen upgrade with ray tracing, etc.? I'm fine with either, really. Just announce it already.:)

Very excited about this! God of War is near the top of my pile of shame, and I have been thinking about trying it. This will push me over the edge. 

I hope this starts a trend of these upgrades. The lack of upgrade like this has been one of my biggest disappoints with the PS5. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a little disappointed that this wasn’t a true PS5 patch, but a PS4 patch with PS5 enhancements. The way that it was worded in the tweet as “Free Update for PS5 Users” briefly led me to believe that it was. 

While I’m fine with this type of update, it would be nice for these games to take advantage of all the PS5’s features at bit more. 

56 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I’m a little disappointed that this wasn’t a true PS5 patch, but a PS4 patch with PS5 enhancements. The way that it was worded in the tweet as “Free Update for PS5 Users” briefly led me to believe that it was. 

While I’m fine with this type of update, it would be nice for these games to take advantage of all the PS5’s features at bit more. 

Outside of DualSense support, not sure how much else they would add without pulling away resources from development of the sequel. The game already sees load time improvements thanks to BC but to truly take advantage of the I/O SSD architecture, you’re putting development effort behind it. These are low effort, high gain patches that just undo the previous lock they put in place.  These studios could put effort towards a full blown remastering with PS5 features ala Control but then Sony isn’t doing that for free. I’m fine with either but I like to see both preferably and would prefer this type of easy win immediately.