LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Whooter

The Steam Summer Sale starts Thursday (6/21)!

Ach they're never as good as they once were. Mainly because I own it all already. 

But seriously, the discounts aren't as deep, but not as short, and that balances out in favour of the devs/Steam. So it's what we've got now - not quite as deep discounts. 

• Like 1

There was an article a while back stating that consumer perception for Steam is very positive.  But that Steam in a lot of ways is evil.  Can't remember what it was about, but it was interesting.  Because I have a very positive view of Steam.

I did however notice that pricing on steam for older games was expensive.  I was browsing yesterday and there were many OLD games that were between $20-$40.  I thought I was looking at the Nintendo online store or something.  I always use Steam's prices as a reason to hate Nintendo.  So those prices were a little upsetting.

• Like 1

I really do think they screwed up by eliminating the Daily and Flash deals.  The anticipation was always one of the most fun things about the sales, whether you bought anything or not.

Now it's just "Here they are!" - Everyone can just buy what they want on day one, and then never look at the store page again during the sale.  Seems counter-intuitive.

54 minutes ago, Whooter said:

I really do think they screwed up by eliminating the Daily and Flash deals.  The anticipation was always one of the most fun things about the sales, whether you bought anything or not.

Now it's just "Here they are!" - Everyone can just buy what they want on day one, and then never look at the store page again during the sale.  Seems counter-intuitive.

All is this is true. There's no excitement now. 

The way they approach sales doesn't even enter my mind. I set up alerts for games that interest me, and never bother looking into sales. This way the deals I'm interested in come to my inbox, and I avoid the impulse/regret purchases altogether. Of course I always follow the LCVG threads, so I never miss any true hidden gem/impulse sale items. ?

For example, given the direction of this current conversation, it doesn't appear I'll be missing out on any great find this go round.

I still have a huge backlog of games I need to play that I purchases.  However, I also have a huge amount of games I want so this will be the first Steam sale I'll participate in since four or five sales ago.

2 hours ago, Whooter said:

And yet, it's working out better for Steam & developers, as far as I know, on what they get out of the average seasonal sale now. 

13 hours ago, dogbert said:

And yet, it's working out better for Steam & developers, as far as I know, on what they get out of the average seasonal sale now. 

Interesting.  I know I haven't been spending nearly as much on the sales as I did previously, mostly because I no longer have flash and daily deals to put games in front of me that maybe I'm not familiar with, and maybe impulse buy.  Sure those same games are probably in the big initial roll out of the sales, but they get lost in the clutter, instead of being just one of four games in a Flash deal or one of 10 (or so) in a Daily deal. 

Good for my wallet, anyhow, I guess.

Us "old hands" with large libraries buy less, yes, as the sales discount on titles we're marginally interested in is a lot less.That's counter-balanced by the growth rate of new users on steam and some an interesting where because people now know there's no chance of a flash sale at 75% off, they're happy to buy at 50% off. So sales go up, each at a lower discount, so more money for devs + Valve. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogbert said:

Us "old hands" with large libraries buy less, yes, as the sales discount on titles we're marginally interested in is a lot less.That's counter-balanced by the growth rate of new users on steam and some an interesting where because people now know there's no chance of a flash sale at 75% off, they're happy to buy at 50% off. So sales go up, each at a lower discount, so more money for devs + Valve. 

Ah....I see what you're saying.  Interesting indeed.  Thanks for the insight!  :)

I'm grabbing Final Fantasy IV bundle, Final Fantasy VI, and Final Fantasy IX right off the bat.  I'm debating

Dishonored 2

Outlast 2

Fallout 4

Prey

And for some reason it's really pushing Nekopara.  I'm studying for my CPA.  I have no time for pervy nonsense.

Don't think I'll end up with anything this time around.  I've got a bunch of things wishlisted, and thought about Thimbleweed Park, Dead Cells, Flinthook and Owlboy, but I have other things to play immediately, and none of those discounts were that great.  Give it another couple of steam sales and things will probably be cheaper.

Got Full Throtle Remastered. Was pretty much waiting for any sale for that one. 

Got Mordor just because it was so cheap and the GOTY edition, and The Room 2. 

I feel like my spending on these sales has gone down, mostly because I have already bought so much on previous sales, and because I'm realizing more every day that I'll never play most of the stuff I already own. But also my expectation for these sales is too high from previous years.

Nearly every single game in my wish list is on sale right now, and I'm only buying one of them, and the reason for that is that they're still too expensive for me to make that impulse purchase.

For example, I have Rise of the Tomb Raider on there. It's on a good sale right now at I think 60% off. It's still too much. I got the first Tomb Raider on one of these sales for like $12. It's on my wish list simply because I'm waiting for it for be less than $15. $28 is a great price considering its normally $70 here... But it's still too much because of what my sale expectations are. 

In my case I find I'm spending more again in these sales now versus the last few years but, almost exclusively on VR stuff. It all feels "new" again in PC gaming with regards to VR so I try just about anything available if the price is right during the sales. Having said that, I've picked up plenty of trash but, it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm to try new games or apps in VR; it also doesn't hurt that tons of these are under £5 while on sale...

I've picked up:

Final Fantasy IV Collection

Final Fantasy VI

Final Fantasy IX

Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year (easily steal at 4 bucks)

Dishonored 2

I think that might be it.  Yeah, I've skipped so many Steam sales I figure I can stock up.  I'm going to love the Final Fantasy purchases seeing how that's all my Surface can probably handle.

Apparently "126 items from your Steam wishlist are on sale!". Haven't bought anything yet. ;) Subnautica's taking up my time & I've plenty of other stuff to play. I'll likely end up buying _something_ from my wishlist. $10 is a good price for Subnautica IMO - coming out of early access soon, and there's a ton of content, if a little polish still needed for sure. 

4 bucks for Shadow of Batman is a great price. The DLC is irrelevant IMO, but the main game's got some fun stuff in it, if a little repetitive. I think the sequel's going to be awesome.

1 hour ago, dogbert said:

Shadow of Batman

Shadow of Mordor?

Cool forum feature: highlight text and it asks if you want to quote it.

Even if you don't intend to buy anything in the sale, you must read RockPaperShotgun's "Steam sale highlights". Some ridiculous gems of captions on games. 

e.g. Prey - Alien life with the power to mimic anything in the universe visits a space station, looks at humans and decides: "let's be chairs". 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/23/steam-summer-sale-our-giant-recommendations-list/

• Like 1