LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Camp

Streaming Devices

I've been using the PS4 for Playstation Vue, Netflix, and Amazon for the last 8-10 months.  It works very well as a cable replacement but the controller and inability to go straight to TV after booting up have me finally wanting a dedicated streamer.

I'm pretty much decided on either going with the Roku Premier Plus or the Amazon Fire TV .  I understand Roku has more options but the UI is supposedly pretty clunky. The Fire TV has all the services I really need and the Playstation Vue app is supposedly markedly better than the version on Roku.

Just curious if anyone is using either device (or others) and had opinions to offer.

Thanks! 

I have the Roku 4 and the FireTV.   I give the FireTV the edge because you can install KODI on it, and it opens up a world of possibilities.  Think of Usenet - anything you would be able to find there, you will be able to find on the KODI apps..

Bearing in mind that i'm strictly a 1080p shop, I think they are about equal on picture quality..  Twitch is too wide on the Roku, and I haven't been able to figure out how to shrink it to fit my TV.  Netflix and all the others are fine, however.

My main gripe with the FireTV is really, really bad Judder when scenes pan, whether watching netflix, or Amazon Prime shows. It's so bad it infuriates me.  But, I just recently discovered a hidden option to set it to 24 Fps, but I can't say for sure how well it works just yet.

Carlos.

• Like 1

If you use plex on Fire Tv there is a bug with ac3 decoding. Audio will stutter like mad on a regular basis. In the plex menu you can turn off Dolby digital and it will transcode to aac. Fortunately audio doesn't take too much effort on pc to transcode. 

I tried Sling for a week but poor picture quality and buffering sent me back to PS Vue. The visual difference between the two service was very obvious (at least on my network).

Sling TV I believe is 30FPS, that's a concern I have, hopefully its not a major issue for me, I ended up going with Sling as there were a  few more channels (NHL Network) I wanted, that didn't seem available on PS Vue

What is the go to player for best 4K HDR playback?  I read one site that said Roku Ultra was the best at it but just curious if anyone has had experience with it.  I'm ditching cable TV.  Done with wasting money every month.  Currently I have PS4 Pro, LG UHD player (Netflix and Youtube only) and apps on my LG tv (Netflix, youtube, Amazon, etc) but I'm interested in a stand alone streaming device where I can get all or most of my content in one spot.

Amazon Fire doesn't do HDR, only 4k.  Chromecast doesn't have Amazon Prime, at all.  Apple TV doesn't do 4k, at all.  I would guess a new model this year will change at least some of that from Apple.

Roku Ultra or Premiere + are pretty much the only two devices on the market with access to all the major video apps that also does both 4K and HDR.

FTR, I use the Fire TV Box.

There's definitely data out there showing the next Apple TV will have HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. A couple of UK iTunes movie files had the information embedded recently if memory serves. Is Amazon available on the Apple TV yet? I sold my Apple box a good while back. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

There's definitely data out there showing the next Apple TV will have HD10 and Dolby Vision support. A couple of UK iTunes movie files had the information embedded recently if memory serves. Is Amazon available on the Apple TV yet? I sold my Apple box a good while back. 

I don't believe Amazon is. I would imagine the availablilty of Amazon will be announced along with the new ATV. Could be on the 12th or perhaps at a Apple Event later in the fall.

Amazon for AppleTV was already announced, it's just not out yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a date (or a today announcement) at the event on Sept 12. 

I own an older Roku 3, a 4th Gen Apple TV, newer Chromecast and have an LG Web OS smart TV.

I like the Roku, but it isn't the best. There are a lot of apps, especially in Canada that aren't available for it that I would use. Any of the apps that use the default Roku look and feel, feel old and archaic (the current Spotify App is horribly outdated), and even newer apps don't have all the features I would expect. 

The newer Roku might be different, but I wouldn't expect the software to be that much different. 

Now, in the US the selection of apps is much greater, so my feelings could be moot. 

I would suggest making sure all of the apps you are going to use are available on whatever platform you are going to choose, and if you can, see how they look function on the player.

I bought the ATV primarily because the app choices were much better than the Roku, but was shocked to find out there wasn't a Spotify app (you have to mirror from an IOS device to use Spotify). 

2 hours ago, Magness said:

A friend uses a 2nd gen Shield streamer and seems to really like it for 4K but, not sure it supports HDR or has the Amazon app.

Yeah, forgot about that one. It's double the cost of any other option. It does do HDR but I want to say I remember reading it had a bad interface. Haven't tried it myself. 

I just got the brand new edition FireTV Cube from Amazon, and it does HDR (though my PJ doesn't), Dolby Atmos (El Camino sounded fantastic), supports the Ultra HD audio of Prime Music, and most importantly, supports the frame rate of the source,  so the terrible judder seems completely gone (at least in what I have seen so far).  Plus it is lightning fast, and can control the volume of your receiver, and even includes an IR blaster.

It's well worth the cost of the upgrade from the previous FireTV.  

Carlos. 

I'm guessing they haven't reached out to MonkeyTV yet?

And you'll have to let us know how the Wifi treats you.  Every Amazon device I've ever had eventually has horrid connection issues.  

2 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

Does it have all the top streaming services?

I believe so. I use netflix, hulu, amazon, but I saw vudu, hbo go, showtime, CBS all access, etc on there. You should also be able to install KODI. I plan to, even though every "flesh-tone calibration channel" I have ever tried on KODI has been garbage or gone quickly. 

Just now, Eldorado said:

I'm guessing they haven't reached out to MonkeyTV yet?

And you'll have to let us know how the Wifi treats you.  Every Amazon device I've ever had eventually has horrid connection issues.  

no monkeyTV+, yet, I'm afraid. 

I don't use wifi. It comes with an ethernet adapter included so I just plug in.  

Carlos. 

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has personal experience with the nVidia Shield as a streaming box? I've historically used Amazon FireTV devices which have been pretty great. I see benefit from moving away from the Amazon ecosystem and the Shield seems to have apps for everything we use.