LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

Voiced my fears about this before but looking at this I can't see how Slinky Dog Dash coaster won't be a crushing disappointment to anyone excited about Toy Story Land.

That's the second launch to the end (appears to be a low powered test launch, so the eventual launch speed will likely be quicker).

Oh God. I never knew the story about the duck on the Jaws ride.

I'll feel very sad not strolling into Amity when I next return to Florida. I wonder how long the ride will continue to run at Universal Tokyo. 

14 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Voiced my fears about this before but looking at this I can't see how Slinky Dog Dash coaster won't be a crushing disappointment to anyone excited about Toy Story Land.

Disney has never knocked it out of the park in the thrill ride space, so I'm not surprised.  This looks similar to the seven dwarfs mine train, which was also really disappointing.  Way too long a wait for a ride that was far too short.  It's good to have something in the middle of the spectrum between "kiddie coaster" and "big kid roller coaster", and a lot of what's at Legoland seems to straddle this line pretty well.  Still, I don't think it's going to be a "destination" attraction the way that Avatar or Star Wars will be, but a nice addition to the park. 

Agreed. I think the studios benefits from the family friendliness of Toy Story Land (Tower, Rock n'Rollercoaster, and even Star Tours, are quite intense options for youngsters), so it's fine, and I like how high off the ground Slinky seems to be, but still, the main attraction in that part of the park is still going to be Toy Story Mania. I just see a lot of adults really hyped for the Toy Story stuff and I think they're going to feel let down. I also have issues with it from an imagineering standpoint and they being are very liberal with character and scenery scale. 

Do you not think Everest hits the right spot for a Disney thrill ride? Tron seems promising (though I don't really like the outdoor bit as it kills the immersion).

Watching Avengers yesterday really made me think about what a bind Disney is in with Universal having East coast theme park rights to the bulk of the Marvel characters. You might imagine that if Disney had those rights they'd just go and build a dedicated Marvel park which would probably have been quite something.

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Do you not think Everest hits the right spot for a Disney thrill ride? Tron seems promising (though I don't really like the outdoor bit as it kills the immersion).

Everest is probably the closest they've come to an full on Thrill Ride, and Space Mountain and Aerosmith are both decent too (helped by being in the dark).  I think Tron is going to be similarly disappointing though-it's not particularly steep or fast, so other than the unique ride system and the theming, it's not going to measure up to other coasters.  Again though, darkness helps a mediocre coaster seem better in some cases, and personality goes a long way. 

As for the Marvel thing, I'm a little amazed that Disney hasn't managed to buy out Universal yet.  Could be a longer game, but as you can see with Guardians in Epcot, they're finding loopholes where they can.  Even if it let Universal continue to use the Marvel stuff they had, it'd still be a win for Disney.  A whole Marvel park might be a little limiting, but having a Marvel area at Studios, or even Marvel presence across all the parks, would be a huge win. 

Really loving this Disney Theme Park Audio youtube channel. Lots of high quality BGM loops form the parks, and monorail announcements, Disneyland's Mickey & Friends tram narration...etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJxehrsk2UB4ZZL7bEorR3w

... and this....

:Dawson:

I've been toying with the idea of doing a Disney park in Planet Coaster, but rather than making it an exact re-creation of Disneyland or Magic Kingdom, using those as a blueprint but having Tomorrowland house a version of Horizons...etc. Still wish the game had omnimovers, but it has a few rides that are close and ones you can control the directions the cabins turn the guests...etc.

Interesting listening to all the talk on the Disney Dish podcast about all the congestion worries about the skyliner and international gateway. 

I also never knew that international guests to WDW only make up as little as 20% of attendees annually. 

I had heard a rumour that they had ordered a new fleet, although it wasn’t with Bombardier. I hope that it’s true, and I hope they don’t have the same issues as they had with the current Disneyland fleet, where they had to take them all out of service and re-engineer them because they didn’t fit the track properly.

FYI for those that listen to Disney Dish, Jim has started a bunch of new podcasts lately. One focusing on Marvel, another on Lucasfilm, and Disney Animation. He also has a dedicated Universal podcast which does not show up in the RSS feed of Disney Dish, but it on the Bandcamp page. 

The full Bob Gurr talk is well worth watching at the Blog Mickey link. Love how animated and candid he is.

They Jim Hill podcasts all show up under the one Disney Dish podcast entry in iTunes (though there seems to be a bug that has failed to allow the latest Hooray for Universal Studios Hollywood episode to upload correctly at the moment. Probably doesn't help that I live in the 18th century and still use iTunes for podcasts).

30 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

They Jim Hill podcasts all show up under the one Disney Dish podcast entry in iTunes

Did you get the first episode of Universal Joint from April 20? It’s not in the RSS or the Apple Podcast app. The second on is there but I didn’t see it was out until after I posted. 

27 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Did you get the first episode of Universal Joint from April 20? It’s not in the RSS or the Apple Podcast app. The second on is there but I didn’t see it was out until after I posted. 

Hmm, no. It's not there. 

I was watching some Magic Kingdom walking tour videos last night. How long have you been able to see Rapunzel's tower from Frontier Land and Liberty Sq for? Did Imagineers just give up on ground level sight lines years ago? Would it have hurt to add some extra levels to the buildings on the Liberty Sq side to hide it? So bizarre. 

You really have to wonder whether they are going to do anything to prevent the forthcoming gondolas ruining the France skyline at EPCOT as from the look of things it is really going to screw the eiffel tower forced perspective (could they maybe move the tower to sit behind Ratatouille I wonder?).

Could they hang just low enough to be out of view from within France maybe? Hmmph. It'll be interesting to see.

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I was watching some Magic Kingdom walking tour videos last night. How long have you been able to see Rapunzel's tower from Frontier Land and Liberty Sq for?

Since they built it? That’s the infamous Tangled bathrooms they built a number of years ago. The most well themed bathrooms in the world. Apparently it was supposed to be a meet and greet area until  some other department decided they needed the area for people to charge their phones and now it’s just a bathroom. 

It’s pretty much right on the border of Fantasyland and Liberty Square. There aren’t really any building around it either, so it probably would have been hard to hide from Liberty Square, but I understand your complaint. It doesn’t lend itself to the more gradual transition that the 2 sides of the Columbia Harbour House building does. 

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

Since they built it?

giphy.gif

:)

I'd honestly wondered if there might have once been a structure there, or some trees perhaps, that went away due to threat of hurricanes or something. I know the Kermit balloon at the studios went away so it couldn't be seen from within Galaxy's Edge, so at least this kind of thing is still on some imagineers' minds (though I loved that balloon), so I hope they do have some visual trick to work around the gondolas and the France skyline once it is up and running. 

On the subject of breaking the illusion of scale... :)

I'm still sour about how small Rex is. Also, a walk around Buzz appears in this video which begs the question, are he and Woody...etc going to be wandering around for meet and greets despite the fact guests are supposed to be green army man size and you already have giant Woody, Jessie and Buzz statues that are supposed to represent those toys? 

Wheezy gets some love with a nice looking animatronic though:

He'll be at the end of Slinky Dog Dash apparently. And on the subject of Slinky:

I like how quietly he seems to run. Very smooth (you barely hear him go by in the Good Morning America video).

First interior look at the Green Alien ride below too. Looks like an Alien re-skin of the Mater ride at DCA which should be fun.

swi02398402398423fi.jpg

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Also, a walk around Buzz appears in this video which begs the question, are he and Woody...etc going to be wandering around for meet and greets despite the fact guests are supposed to be green army man size and you already have giant Woody, Jessie and Buzz statues that are supposed to represent those toys? 

Andy got a set of Buzz and Woody minis for Christmas, didn’t you know?

I would say that complaining that the meet and greet characters aren’t to scale, might be nit picking just a wee bit. I’d agree about Rex though. It would be cool if it was the right scale. 

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

First interior look at the Green Alien ride below too. Looks like an Alien re-skin of the Mater ride at DCA which should be fun.

I think it’s actually pretty cool that they have cloned this ride at 3 different parks now, but all with a different skin/theme. The recently opened Toy Story land in Shanghai has the same ride, but with a Woody’s Roundup and Bullseye theme. 

It actually would have been nice if they had cloned Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters with a Toy Story theme here. That ride with a different theme, and different music and dance routine would feel less like a clone and would fit the area very well. Plus the trackless ride system it uses is always impressive. 

There will be more Toy Story videos later today. They’re doing similar promotional things on The View, The Chew and Nightline. 

11 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd honestly wondered if there might have once been a structure there, or some trees perhaps, that went away due to threat of hurricanes or something.

If you look at it on Google Maps/Earth, you can see it is on top of a small hill right beside the exit to Haunted Mansion. It is, for the most part, actually in Liberty Square. They could try and hide it with some more tree, but that would ruin its forced perspective.

I do agree that it is visible too far into Liberty Square. Maybe they think it’s a weenie. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Graeme said:

I would say that complaining that the meet and greet characters aren’t to scale, might be nit picking just a wee bit. I’d agree about Rex though. It would be cool if it was the right scale. 

Probably nitpicking, yes. :) I'm trying to get an idea of where they want to go immersion wise with this one though. Galaxy's Edge seems to be the land they're going to go all in on from an immersion point of view, while Pandora and to a lesser extent Toy Story Land straddle the line a little bit.

I wonder if Rex maybe works as a forced perspective thing when you see it in person at ground level. 

It actually would have been nice if they had cloned Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters with a Toy Story theme here. That ride with a different theme, and different music and dance routine would feel less like a clone and would fit the area very well. Plus the trackless ride system it uses is always impressive. 

Trackless stuff blows my mind. It's really surprising that Disney have taken as long as they have to put it to good use in the Florida Parks, which will of course change with Ratatouille and Mickey. Pooh's Honey Hunt in Tokyo and Mystic Manor in Shanghai look amazing and the best examples of trackless rides to date (the trackless ride in Planet Coaster seems to be inspired by Mystic Manor) so I hope Mickey lives up to the standard those two have set. Tokyo has a fun looking Monsters Inc trackless ride too.

I wonder how long it will be before the system used for the Shanghai Pirates of the Caribbean is used in Florida. There's been some rumour that if an Indiana Jones ride comes to Florida it might be at the Studios and be a water ride which would be really exciting if true as the park needs a water ride and it's hard to imagine any boat style ride not using the Shanghai Pirates tech in future. 

Even beyond ride tech, some of the visual effects in Tokyo and Shanghai are like nothing I've ever seen before. I still don't know how they do the Captain Jack/Skeleton transition in Shanghai (part of me doesn't want to know), and even though the decor of the Mystic Manor is a little artificial and plastic looking, the visual effects are astoundingly good.

THAT's how you use screen effects. I truly hope that Mickey & Minnie is just as impressive.

On 29/04/2018 at 6:35 PM, Graeme said:

Both episodes are now working on iTunes.