LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

It definitely looks fun, and I agree on the nighttime preference.

The Disneyland rumours about trashing all of Tomorrowland (save for Space Mountain) are very interesting. I think Magic Kingdom needs the same to happen, albeit to a lesser degree given it is already bigger and they still have a working people mover, but Tron’s building is going to look so much more sleek and futuristic amidst the retro styling of the rest of tomorrowland.

Speedway/Autopia should be removed at both parks though. What does it really represent anymore? It’s also a horrific polluter in Florida apparently. I’m so intrigued that they opted to keep it and put Tron off to the side. 

On 5/17/2019 at 4:34 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Speedway/Autopia should be removed at both parks though. What does it really represent anymore? It’s also a horrific polluter in Florida apparently. I’m so intrigued that they opted to keep it and put Tron off to the side. 

Last time we were there the kids loved it, but it's headache-inducing from the fumes, and I have no idea how health & safety allows anyone to work that attraction for a day.  It also stinks up a whole section of tomorrowland.  You could salvage it with electric motors for the cars at this point, which could also play into the "tech of tomorrow" themes if you really wanted. 

Yes, you’d think with the parks commitment to making changes beneficial to the environment (paper straws, smoking ban...etc)  they would at least switch the attraction to electric vehicles... but then their commitment hasn’t stopped them endlessly making themed plastic popcorn buckets someday destined for landfills so... 🤷‍♂️  The re-opened speedway in the Magic Kingdom (now shorter due to Tron and re-routing the railroad) makes even less of a case for keeping it.

They’ve taken it out of Tokyo entirely in order to home the Beauty and the Beast ride. The rumour is that ride will cone to Anaheim but at the expense of removing the submarines, not Autpoia (though it is also rumoured a Frozen ride could live in that Nemo space).

Epcot re-construction in action at last! They have begun removing those hideous things from the entrance.

Glad I never got to see these in person.

I’m very curious to see (along with everyone else) how the crowds have been managed during the reservation period. 

It is well worth it for Disney to keep the crowds at a moderate level so that the stories coming out from the first few weeks are more about how amazing it is, and what a good experience it is vs crowds and lines. I’m hopeful that this is exactly why they went this route. 

Im not going to see it for awhile, but I can’t wait for it to open. 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:26 PM, NickC said:

On 5/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, Eldorado said:

They had that at the SW attraction when we were there in 2017.  Makes sense to move it over to the new digs.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:19 PM, Graeme said:

These ones are much different than the build your own lightsaber they had previously. 

These ones are very high quality collector pieces that come with a big case and a carry bag for the blade, and will probably cost hundreds of dollars. 

The examples they were showing at SW Celebration looked great, and quite varied. 

Prices for the lightsabers have been announced at $199 plus tax.

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Prices for the lightsabers have been announced at $199 plus tax.

Not bad, will depend on quality and customization options.

Full Dress Rehearsal previews for cast members have been going on. WDWMAGIC has posted one of the most detailed reports from on of these CMs. 

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/star-wars-land/news/23may2019-early-reviews-for-star-wars-galaxys-edge.htm

There is also a thread on their forum with more. 

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/star-wars-galaxys-edge-disneyland-opening-reports-reviews.954867/

No pictures or video as Disney wasn’t allowing them inside (aside from Disney provided ones to test the App). 

Can’t help but feel the fundamental fabric of Disneyland is about to change forever. I hope I’m wrong. It sounds amazing as expected but I remain anxious over the idea of such a monstrous single IP land in a core Disney park. It’ll take some time for the hysteria to fade to see how it truly affects the park as a whole in the long term I suppose.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:22 PM, Angry the Clown said:

First look at what Galaxy’s Edge crowds will be like for the next four years. 😀

Nah way too much open space between people there...they can easily get twice that crowd in there.

The one disappointing thing I’ve heard from the previews of Galaxy’s Edge is that the Saber building experience at Savi’s workshop is only for people who want to buy a custom Saber, and you pay before entering. I guess I was expecting something more like the wands at Harry Potter. 

I wonder if there is even a place to preview the Sabers to see if you’re willing to spend the $200 (they do sell the legacy sabers in the normal shop). 

It also sounds like the Marketplace could be a bit of a mess for lines and crowd control. 

I’m sure they’ll make a number of changes in response to feedback and what’s not working initially at Disneyland. That’s partly why the Florida version opens several months later as we know. 

The Resistance MRE ration kit. Now you too can get so big eating food of this kind. 

At $25, it is described as Disney’s “ultimate snack grift”. 

Today is a media preview day with a dedication ceremony this evening. Apparently the embargo for the media lifts at 6PM Pacific. 

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c8975ceeea0a33424d7559

Interesting to read Smugler’s Run has no music. I’m not sure how I feel about that. 

Nothing I have read has eased my fears about the land existing at the Disneyland park and how that might affect it in both the short and long term. It’s so fundamentally at odds with what Disneyland is. 

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Interesting to read Smugler’s Run has no music. I’m not sure how I feel about that. 

There is definitely music during the ride itself. Doesn’t seem to be in the queue or exit though. 

• Like 1

Ah so there is. Hopefully they make a change and pipe music subtly into the land as I believe they do in Pandora (?). As some have criticised, immersion can only go so far when you’re surrounded by people wearing Mickey ears with their phones and baby strollers.

The Micechat review is interesting as it kind of taps in to a concern I have about riding Smugler’s Run with people you might not know, and how seriously they might take it if you’re not doing too well. Seemed like an uncomfortable experience for the reviewer.

Given how basic human decency seems to be an increasing rarity this day in age, and how rude some guests in the parks can apparently get these days, I wouldn’t be shocked to some day read of a stupid physical altercation between people coming off the ride, especially if anyone has had a few too many Jawa juices in the Cantina. This seems more likely in Florida where you’ll have more international guests who may not understand Hondo’s on ride instructions.

Apparently the rotating ride boarding system really eats up people which is good news. The queue doesn’t actually seem to physically be that long and winding as a consequence. 

It’d be nice if Disney are working on a book about the design of the land. There must be so much concept art we’ve never seen.