LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

22 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Does the ride reflect the actual time day you board?

On this topic, but getting away from Star Wars for a bit, apparently the Jurassic World ride at Universal Hollywood will be matching not only the time of day, but the weather for some of the video scenes inside the ride. This will help make it feel less like you’ve entered a show building, and now the “outside” world is whatever they say it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Even still, it will be interesting to see what happens in July. I honestly don’t think it’s going to be the shit show many people think it will be. 

I’d agree. They’ve been in this game long enough to know how to manage things as best as possible. While I don’t think it will be a chaotic meltdown, at worst I would expect Pandora style overcrowding from July, especially with only the one ride running, with the added benefit being that Batuu is a lot bigger than Pandora. Florida in peak season after the allocated window period may prove the most challenging though.

This morning:

If it’s accurate that the ride system keeps the queue moving almost constantly then it should be manageable. Surprised the queue goes way out into the street right now and has been allowed to clash with the milk stall crowds as from pov’s it looked to me like the actual extended queue is designed to weave round the back of the Falcon.

It seems like the line spikes up quite a bit when a new group is let in. I also think they are holding back the people at 11 for a bit which could explain the spill out into the street. 

It it was down to a 15 minute wait when I checked a few minutes ago. 

It does seem like line management could be something that needs to be worked on a bit though. 

• Like 1

Polygon has an interesting review and impressions of Galaxy’s Edge. 

This one gives some impressions of the interaction with the app as well as some stories of interactions with cast members which he really enjoyed, and give me some hope that they haven’t totally given up on some of these ideas. 

They also have a review of Smugglers Run, which gives a good idea of how things can change from run to run. 

Blog Mickey has more wait time updates from today now that virtual queues are in place for the Cantina and lightsaber workshop:

Chimes with Disney Food Blog’s view that these are the attractions you should actually look to do first before Smugler’s Run (this being AJ’s recommendation even before the virtual queues were implemented):

Honestly the more I think on it the more it astounds me that the Cantina wasn’t built into a larger Jabba’s Palace ceremony room sized venue (again, it could totally have been a multi-level Adventurers Club style affair).

I’m surprised the Cantina is as small as it is too. It seems like the number one question when they announced they were building Star Wars lands was “will there be a Cantina?”  They knew the demand would be high. 

I’m also surprised the Lightsaber building is as low capacity as it is. They saw what happened with the wands at WWOHP and decided to make the exact same mistake (despite charging $200 for it). I guess they will fix it when they build “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Alley”. 

For the lightsabers, they absolutely should have built multiple (4 or 5) show rooms. This could have easily been done, in terms of show, since the rooms which you build in are supposed to be secret back rooms behind the scrap shop. 

Of course they could always adjust to the demand by jacking up the price... but that would suck to price out even more people than they already have. 

I think they could have also done something similar with Cantina. Instead of building one giant Cantina, they could have built 3 or 4 different rooms (identical, or different). This would keep them small, personal and be bustling with activity, but allow for much more capacity. 

This would also allow for them to scale for demand just like they do with the rides. 

I wonder if there was some sort of logistics issue that prevented the Cantina from being bigger. 

I’m glad they are trying the virtual queues. Yes, it’s a bummer that the times are being filled up right away, but it also means people don’t have to spend half of their allotted 4 hours waiting in line. 

One thing I haven’t mentioned through all of this.... the part of the Smugglers Run queue that looks out on the top of the Falcon, takes my breath away every time I see it. 

11 hours ago, Graeme said:

Instead of building one giant Cantina, they could have built 3 or 4 different rooms (identical, or different). This would keep them small, personal and be bustling with activity, but allow for much more capacity. 

This would also allow for them to scale for demand just like they do with the rides. 

Yup, different styles rooms was precisely how the Adventurers Club was designed and how I picture a Star Wars equivalent. Imagine a larger main bar, with maybe an animatronic Hutt watching on over everyone. Off to one side could still be the more quaint cantina they have now, while upstairs a slightly quieter table area...etc, and every room/level packed with storytelling props on the walls, more animatronics, and cast members in elaborate costumes coming out every now and again to regale guests with tales of their space adventures.

I wonder if there was some sort of logistics issue that prevented the Cantina from being bigger. 

Any legal/tax related issues over the size of a property pretty much exclusively serving alcohol maybe? Seems like a stretch though.

I’m glad they are trying the virtual queues. Yes, it’s a bummer that the times are being filled up right away, but it also means people don’t have to spend half of their allotted 4 hours waiting in line. 

It occurred to me that one thing we’ve possibly overlooked in evaluating the crowds right now is there’s a blackout on annual pass holder access isn’t there? 

You can REALLY hear the soundscape created for the land in this video, so I take it back. That does seem to be on par with Pandora.

I wonder if they reduced the ambient sound effects during the press preview days to account for interviews being staged around the land and that’s why things seemed quiet in the earliest videos, but now that it has had its public opening everything is at full volume.

It really does need the subtlest presence of variations of familiar musical theme set here and there to add to the magic though. It needn’t be on a constant loop, just more like what you hear when entering the land. 

The 8am-12pm window to get into the bloody BAR extends outside of the land itself on a Monday morning....Yeah. Probably should have been bigger. 😯

The funny thing is that the cantina and Savi’s are both direct revenue generating experiences (unlike a ride). You’d think they’d have wanted to maximize that as much as possible. 

You have to wonder how much money is being left on the table. 

Really gives some perspective as to how many people are going to want to cough up the money for the Star Wars hotel experience without hesitation, doesn’t it?

We are in the process of starting to plan for a very likely Disneyland vacation next spring.  I haven't been out to the west coast since I was 17-ish.  And I've never been to DL either.  If anyone knows of good places to find deals on stays, tickets, etc  I would be eternally grateful.  We would also probably do a day at Universal as well.  Tips on how far in advance to book as well would be nice.  When we went to DW in 2017 it was so last minute and very costly because of that.  I would like to avoid that this time.

We are going to likely meet with my wife's friend and her father.  They live in Tampa and are annual pass holders for DW.  I don't know what discounts they may have available to them.

I've only ever been to DL once in 2011, and that was part of a work trip, but you have a lot more options of where to stay nearby, and things are all walking distance.  Can't remember what we did for tickets (CAA maybe?), but it was similar to WDW in that things got exponentially cheaper as you extended the number of days. 

Spring is the timeframe I was favouring myself for whenever I might get to go back (either coast).

I’ve really only flirted with research as I’m some years from going back, but the big factors that stood out to me to try and work around during that season are the Spring Break college crowds, and also the grad night crowds. Disney seem to reveal their grad night dates about 10-12 months in advance (this year several are spread over May and June).

So maybe there’s a window between Easter and Spring break that’s good? I’m not really clued up on US school/college holiday periods.

It definitely doesn’t seem worth staying on property at Disneyland... unless you’re like me and you have a silly sentimental attraction to wanting to stay in the Disneyland hotel and are willing to pay the price for having breakfast with Goofy and a headboard on your bed that lights up and plays When You Wish Upon a Star. ☺️ The smart people swear by the choice of ‘Good Neighbour’ hotels that are all opposite or within a mile of the park. On my visits in the early 2000s I was staying in LA and drove out to Anaheim on my Disney days so I’ve no first hand experience with the local hotels, and it was so long ago that I was last in California that nothing I know would be relevant anyway.

It's definitely going to be early spring, break for my son is typically 3rd week of March. There should be no conflict with grad stuff, spring-breakers would be an issue no matter what though so we'll just have to deal with it. I would like to stay someplace nice but it sure doesn't need to be a special Disney resort.  Our friends may stay there because they are nuts for Disney.  Like that's the whole reason they live in Florida.  

We will not be going anywhere near LA.  They are having some pretty bad issues with rats, disease and homelessness and I don't even want to think about the possibility of contracting something.  I do plan to find an afternoon to myself and finding a cannabis establishment somewhere in the vicinity.  

• Like 1

Planning for DL is not nearly the chore that planning for WDW is. There are lots of hotels surrounding the resort that are reasonably priced, there are restaurants, and if you’re staying around the resort, it’s all within walking distance for the most part. 

For the hotels, I would probably try and do a little research just to make sure it’s not one of the real dingy ones, and how far the walk to the gate actually is. There are some that look like they are right across the street, but then you need to walk around and out of your way a lot farther than you think to get to the gate. 

There are are lots of websites that offer discounts on hotels and tickets. Not really sure how they compare to other sites, but may be worth checking out. 

https://www.micechat.com/micechat-partners-sponsors/ for example has discounted tickets and 3 hotel discounts. You can also use free Disney travel planners for quotes and they usually have suggestions and ideas that could help.  

Unlike WDW, you don’t have to worry about rebooking Fastpass reservations, Dinning Pass, transportation (as much), which park to visit on which day (since they’re right beside each other), and probably don’t need to make restaurant reservations so far in advance. Staying on property doesn’t have as many of the same perks. I think if you buy a 3 day pass or more you get at least 1 extra magic hour day. 

For DL, I would probably say the most important thing now is choosing what time of year to go. Spring break is usually quite busy, and lasts for a long time due to different schools having different times for Spring Break. You can find crowd Calendars and predictions that can help. It’s also helpful to look at what Annual Passes are blacked out, as it is really locals that drive the attendance through most of the year. 

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the WDW  passes get you anything at DL unless they are the super high end Premium Passes that work at both resorts. 

Getting to Universal is a bit of a drive, but it’s certainly easy enough to get there in the morning and drive back in the evening. Not worth getting a hotel out there or anything. Last time I went, we got transportation on a bus service. That was before Uber, which is probably the way to go now. 

• Epic Post 1

Thanks for the info.  It will definitely be helpful. 

I don't think we are going to be able to do anything about the timing.  I could pull him out of school, which I don't want to do though I'm sure he wouldn't mind.  But, as you say, break varies so much school-to-school that that might be hard to work around no matter what.  And for me getting off around major holidays is almost impossible being a small business owner.  We have four employees, including myself, two of which are part-time.  I almost have to schedule a mid-to-late week departure and return by the middle of the following week just to keep up as much as possible.  So that leaves me with spring break or summertime.  

I have gone to horror nights in both california and florida. It does not suprise me that construction for it has started. Its a massive setup. Im hoping to go for a weekend in October.Missed out on the stranger things haunted house, as they built it the year after i went.

A return of the Stranger Things house is already confirmed for 2019. 

Killer Clowns expanding to a maze year seems to be a thing by the look of the construction happening on the lower lot right now in Hollywood. It was fun watching videos of them roaming the Orlando park last year. 

Ghostbusters is rumoured for 2019. I like the thought of Ghosbtusters being back in the park. Much as I lament Universal relying heavily on IP's they don't personally own I was always fond of the old pepper's ghost Ghostbusters show in Florida (particularly the 2nd version revision). I hate that eyesore of a rollercoaster crashing through the old firehouse building in Florida. There could have been such a great ghostbusters dark ride inside the old show building that Fallon now occupies. :( 

A Classic Monsters house has been confirmed. I definitely love hearing about Universal giving their monsters some love. It definitely lends some credence to the rumours that they are testing audience interest since the monsters are allegedly one of the themes they are considering for a land in the new park (there's a LOT of classic monsters merch in the park that has appeared recently). 

Killer Clowns Roaming is great. They sneak up everywhere and to a point it just makes you die of laughter. People understand they are at horror nights, and still run away like they are running for their lives :)

If the ghostbusters rumor is true,  That would be awesome.  I remember when I was there, I saw a family of 5 that all dressed up as The Ghostbusters. With their daughter in a stroller dressed up as slimmer. I just wish I didn't loose all the pictures from that trip.

I love Killer Clowns. Such a goofy movie. They'd clearly modelled the walk around costumes on the original movie moulds for Horror Nights too which was great. 

When I did the London Marathon last year I was alongside five people running in an Ecto 1 costume, and four of them were dressed as the GB's, a woman was Janine and another guy was Louis. Kind of regret not stopping to get a picture with them as it was great, and they'd fire up the song every now and again which turned out to have a good beat to run to. 😀

It's interesting how there is still Ghostbusters merch in the parks (in videos i have seen from Orlando at least). Maybe the new film will do better than the last one and potentially convince Universal and Sony that they should build a ride. The new Ghosbusters DLC in Planet Coaster has an interactive shoot-em-up dark ride system like Men in Black, which I guess is inspired by a ride that exists at a park in Dubai:

We are huge fans of the MIB attraction, But you are right, hopefully with the movie they will think about a ghostbusters attraction. Lucky people in dubai:)