LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

For some reason I was thinking Florida GE was getting pre-booked timed entry but it’s actually just going to extra extra magic hour free for all

For Galaxy’s Edge, I think there is still an expectation that there will be same day Virtual Queues with return times. They may even have a 4 hour “limit” like the reservations have had at DL. 

We’ll have to see how DL handles things starting next week to get an idea of how WDW might handle it. 

As for Hagrid, I had read that the wear and tear was higher than they were expecting and that maintenance could be an issue. 

They also don’t seem to have it running anywhere near full capacity yet due to some issues with some of the trains. 

Seems like they could have used a bit more time to work out the kinks. I’m not super surprised they’re doing something to allow more work to be done. 

Yeah. I’m wondering if there may have been some PR pressure to get it open ahead of Galaxy’s Edge. It’s a lot more sophisticated than I thought it would be though (faster than I thought, and the track switching/reverse drops are a nice surprise). 

Amazingly having watched some videos of people who waited ten hours they have at least said it was worth it. Apparently at night it’s especially good. It’ll be great to see when all the foliage has grown in some more over time as well.

I’m glad it’s a hit following that awful looking Fast and Furious ride from last year. On the West coast I think Jurassic World is going to be a lot better than the basic re-skin most, including myself, expected too. I’m really impressed by how big the Secret Life of Pets ride building is in Hollywood and am excited to see Universal do a full on animatronic driven dark ride. Add the forthcoming Nintendo stuff to all of this year’s new additions and it’s clear they took the screens criticism to heart.

The only negatives I’ve heard about Hagrid is frustration with breakdowns and that it has to shut down due to weather. 

I watched one video where they suffered multiple delays while in line, watched them have to remove a train when they got to the loading area, got stuck during a delay while loading and then during a reride they got due to a shutdown, had the ride shut down again when they were in the middle of the forrest at night in the dark. They did not seem to enjoy their experience. 

All the launches really do seem to create a different type of coaster experience. One that never has to go up a lift hill, changes speed throughout and stays quite close to the ground. I hope they can get all the trains operating soon. 

http://blogmickey.com/2019/06/disney-announces-reservations-for-ogas-cantina-and-savis-workshop-releases-details-for-star-wars-galaxys-edge-operations-for-june-24th-and-beyond-at-disneyland-park/

Disney has released details on how Galaxy’s Edge will operate starting next week. 

They will be using a same day virtual queue (aka Boarding Pass) when needed through the app or at certain locations in the park. 

Savis and the Cantina will also continue to operate with reservations, but these look like they’ll be able to be done outside of the land. If you have a reservation to either, you’ll be allowed into the land without a “Boarding Pass”. Savis will also now allow 2 others to watch instead of just one. 

Savis will charge the full $200 upfront and will not offer refunds for a no-show. Olga’s will have a $10 no-show charge. 

I don’t see anything about time limits anymore. 

On 6/14/2019 at 4:22 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Absolutely appalled to read the cinema on Main St at Disneyland has now been turned into another merchandise location. 😩

You’ll be happy to hear that the little bit of Merch that they had put into the Cinema has been removed and they are now testing benches. 

• Like 1

Galaxy’s Edge hit capacity within 20 minutes this morning (first open day of general access). Disney have not declared what the land’s actual capacity is however.

Falcon wait time is currently 3hrs.

Despite it reaching capacity and Disney turning on the virtual queue, it seems like everyone rushed for the Falcon. 

Reports are that the rest of the land was quite quiet, there weren’t any gate crushing lines to get in, the freeways weren’t clogged, wait times at other rides are still quite low, and now the Falcon is down to a 35min wait. 

It's definitely an ingenious loading system for the Falcon. I wonder what the hourly ride capacity on Rise of the Resistance is going to be....

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/theme-park-news/capacity-issues-plague-hagrids-magical-creatures-motorbike-adventures-first-week/

Orlando Park Stop did an article on the capacity issues a few days ago. She estimates that Hagrids has only been doing an average of ~4000 riders per day. 

One of the big issues is that they aren’t opening until “midday” right now (usually around 11-12) and soon after, the daily rainstorms roll in and they have to shut it down. Combine that with technical issues and it doesn’t leave much time to actually run the ride. 

They’ve also had to install extra AC in parts of the queue where there wasn’t any since people are sitting in there for hours, as well as institute a system to let people leave the line and come back. 

Hard to tell if GE isn’t quite the resounding success Disney were expecting, or whether the opening was simply brilliantly managed on Disney’s part, or whether many are just staying away in fear of what they thought would be obscene crowds. Perhaps a little of everything (plus the factor of those who desperately wanted to see it already did so via reservation).

Again, if what we’ve seen of Falcon’s loading system is indeed true then it’s a huge boost for the land. 

The hysteria and crowds over Hagrid’s, even if created in part due to opening at half capacity, seemed to be beneficial from a PR standpoint. I’m not sure who’s winning that war between Uni and Disney this summer.

I do think Florida GE stands to be totally different in terms of crowds for obvious reasons (though it is perhaps helped by a late Summer opening). That’s going to be fascinating to see.

This made me smile:

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Hard to tell if GE isn’t quite the resounding success Disney were expecting, or whether the opening was simply brilliantly managed on Disney’s part, or whether many are just staying away in fear of what they thought would be obscene crowds. Perhaps a little of everything (plus the factor of those who desperately wanted to see it already did so via reservation).

I think it has been well managed, but I can’t help but think that Disney must be disappointed. Seeing the rest of the park so empty looks wonderful as a visitor, but surely can’t be what Disney was expecting or hoping for. Reports are that hotel occupancy and business at surrounding restaurants in the area has been quite low. 

The reservations and AP blackouts have done a great job of spreading out the locals and the people who have come specifically to see GE, but the tourists who want to visit Disneyland have not shown up.

I know personally, we were looking at the possibility of taking my 3 year old daughter this summer. It would have been great to see GE so soon after opening. We decided against it though because of the fear that it could be so busy, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy the rest of the park and if that was the case, it wouldn’t be worth it. 

Now I’m kicking myself a bit because it looks like it would have been a perfect time to go. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I know personally, we were looking at the possibility of taking my 3 year old daughter this summer. It would have been great to see GE so soon after opening. We decided against it though because of the fear that it could be so busy, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy the rest of the park and if that was the case, it wouldn’t be worth it. 

Now I’m kicking myself a bit because it looks like it would have been a perfect time to go. 

Same. Crowd sizes seem to be what I would have been used to when I went several times in the early 2000s. I do still get the feeling I’ll be seeing it in California before I ever get back to Florida though.

Florida will likely be an entirely different beast.  Given that Avatar was (is?) still commanding 3hr waits, I'd be surprised to see any less in Orlando.  The fact that Rise of the Resistance isn't open yet is also probably a factor.  I know I probably wouldn't bother going yet if there was still another major attraction to open later this year. 

Yeah, certainly for me given the expense/distance it’s ultimately pointless my going until the land is truly open. It’s debatable whether ‘Rise...’ will even be ready this year according to some rumours.

The Jurassic World ride's not open yet (soft opening any day now, surely?) but the dining and merchandise areas are and I love that there's a cocktail bar called Isla Nu-Bar. 

This weekend might be a possibility for Jurassic World, so that it’s open for July 4 and the following weekend. 

We’ll see. I’m very curious to see what that ride is like. 

Disney definitely in panic mode. Main Street Electrical Parade is coming back to Disneyland for the summer.

Why don’t they just lift the annual pass holder blackouts? 

Fascinating to see just how much space there is for the Jurassic Park coaster in Florida.

The ride track is currently resting in the grounds for the new park:

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Disney definitely in panic mode. Main Street Electrical Parade is coming back to Disneyland for the summer.

Why don’t they just lift the annual pass holder blackouts? 

I read some comments that they could have troubles with people who have bought the more expensive APs which already have less blackout dates. Some of which paid to upgrade so they can visit during the summer. 

So we are planning to go to Universal Orlando - I was thinking end of july... but does't sound like enough time for them to figure out the Hagrid ride.

What would you guys recommend?