Jump to content
LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

Recommended Posts

“Reputation” data readers are apparently beginning to be implemented around Galaxy’s Edge (using Bluetooth to interact with the parks Play app in California, but presumably magic bands in Florida):

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s cool that they’re still working this out. Makes me hold out hope that the droids will be released into the wild some day as well. 

 

The issue I see with this, and some of the role playing interactions they already have, is that some people are going to love it, and others find it quite off putting. 

 

Those people just want to enjoy their special day in the park without having to learn some special code to find out what time the Fireworks are at, where the bathrooms are or how to order the Chicken. They especially do not want to be told how awful of a job they did flying the Falcon. 

 

I watched one video on YouTube where the Falcon broke down due to a technical issue. The cast member that came to get them out and direct them to another pod was in full RP mode asking them what they did and blaming them for breaking the Falcon. The people in the video were loving in, and the comments on the video seemed to think she was great, but I could certainly see someone taking it the wrong way and think she was actually blaming them for the malfunction and that she was being rude. 

 

For these types of interactions to work, there has to be an understanding from both parties that it’s all an act, and even then there probably needs to be some consideration that the act might come off as rude, being difficult or just annoying. When it’s from someone dressed up as a Storm Trooper or other character, it should be obvious, but when it’s a cast member standing behind a counter (or the bar at the Cantina) that is less obvious. 

 

It seems like, at least in Anaheim, that you have to be using the app for them to truly know anything though, and that is at least a little bit of an opt in. Florida could be a bit different with the Magic Bands though. 

 

It’s a bit of a shame that Anaheim is the park with locals and repeat visitors that could really benefit from their reputation following them, and where people could really get into some of the Role Playing aspects of the land, but the technology for tracking that isn’t as good. 

 

Florida has the Magic Bands, which is ideal, but will be dealing mostly with tourists who will only be coming once every few years, who may only experience an attraction once and where there is more likely to be a language barrier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled on that same breakdown video the other day too. I thought it was fun. 

 

Maybe our assumptions are wrong and that Florida will in fact work via the Play app too and not the Magic Bands, simply as a means to ensure that people are indeed opting in as a choice? If you really want to "play" in that world then it does make sense to naturally bind that stuff to the Play app. It could also allows guests' rep to travel between both coasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.micechat.com/230645-delayed-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance/

 

Rise of the Resistance has been delayed until January 2020 at Disneyland. The WDW version may actually open earlier (December according to the article) as it was able to avoid some of the issues they’re having due to it being a few months behind. 

 

Issues with the trackless ride ride vehicles is cited as the reason for the delay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, Graeme said:

 

Hopefully at least. Those trackless vehicle rides are notoriously finicky to get operating smoothly. 

 

Nailed it!... although my guess as to when it would actually be opening was way off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Graeme said:

https://www.micechat.com/230645-delayed-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance/

 

Rise of the Resistance has been delayed until January 2020 at Disneyland. The WDW version may actually open earlier (December according to the article) as it was able to avoid some of the issues they’re having due to it being a few months behind. 

 

Issues with the trackless ride ride vehicles is cited as the reason for the delay. 

 

RotR will open on Dec 5th in Florida and January 17th in Anaheim.

 

Quote

We’ve got some exciting news to share today with the galaxy. We’re opening Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Dec. 5 at Walt Disney World Resort. If this date sounds familiar, many of our fans will recognize it as Walt Disney’s birthday. What better way to honor the ultimate storyteller than by introducing the most immersive and advanced attraction ever imagined in a Disney Park.

 

When it opens, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will blur the lines between fantasy and reality and will put guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance. Guests will be recruited to join Rey and General Organa at a secret base. Along the way, they will be captured by a First Order Star Destroyer. With the help of some heroes of the Resistance, they break out and must escape the Star Destroyer, protect the secret base, and stay one step ahead of Kylo Ren.

 

As soon as work is completed at Walt Disney World, Imagineers will head back to California to complete their mission at Disneyland Resort where Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open on Friday, Jan. 17. 

 

rrs2094802394823423424fi.jpg

 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/07/timing-for-opening-of-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance-announced/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, NickC said:

If this date sounds familiar, many of our fans will recognize it as Walt Disney’s Graeme’s birthday.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of winced at them trying to tie into celebrating Walt’s birthday. Very interesting that it will open at WDW first though.

 

I wonder if that means that given the different construction timelines they had the advantage in Florida to start addressing the problems the Anaheim build was supposedly facing sooner (as the Florida version might not have been finished making it easier to start troubleshooting and fix some faults as internal construction was still underway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NickC said:

RotR will open on Dec 5th in Florida and January 17th in Anaheim.

 

Dammit, I'm looking to be in Orlando for work in early Nov, so missing it by a month... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I wonder if that means that given the different construction timelines they had the advantage in Florida to start addressing the problems the Anaheim build was supposedly facing sooner

 

That is what the Micechat article states. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin over on WDWMagic forums, who’s very reliable (and has made so many wonderfully detailed tributes to old rides on Youtube) added a tiny bit of detail and said that both versions had the same tech problems but that Anaheim also had health and safety problems which is what they’ve been able to address in Florida first due to being slightly further behind on construction and testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so excited about this book:

 

 

It’s due to debut at D23. Amazon Is showing a Sept release for the UK (currently £125). Amazon are showing Sept for US publication too.

 

Docter has such a passion for the parks and parks history. I was sad that when he replaced Lasseter at Pixar that he also didn’t fill the void left by Lasseter as creative director of the imagineering as well. Hopefully some day.

 

There is a rumour that WDI came to him with Inside Out proposals to replace Journey into Imagination and that he shot them down declaring that it should be Figment’s ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it's looking like the plan for next February's trip is to do 5d at the 3 Universal parks, and take a day to just do DHS and Star Wars.  It'll be an expensive day trip, and not sure if there are any deals to be had if you only do a single day, but it's probably the best chance to go see Galaxy's Edge for the next several years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

The Skyliner transport at WDW will open on September 29th.

 

They were testing them daily while we were there this past week. Apparently they won't be air conditioned? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dogbert said:

 

They were testing them daily while we were there this past week. Apparently they won't be air conditioned? 

 

They’ve been doing test runs for a while now, yeah. No on board air conditioning. They’re passively cooled by slats in the windows and the speed of travel. The cabin windows also deflect sunlight.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don’t think the lack of air conditioning in the Skyliner will be a problem.... when they’re moving. I’m a little worried what it might be like inside the cars if they stop moving due to a breakdown or emergency.

 

I suppose we’ll probably find out eventually. 

 

Oh, and happy belated 64th birthday to Disneyland!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I’m a little worried what it might be like inside the cars if they stop moving due to a breakdown or emergency.

 

That’s my only concern too. They should pick up enough breeze in motion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, dogbert said:

 

They were testing them daily while we were there this past week. Apparently they won't be air conditioned? 

 

Silly of me for not asking before. Did you have a nice trip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

Silly of me for not asking before. Did you have a nice trip?

 

Fantastic ;) Epcot was the big hit with the kids, by far. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dogbert said:

 

Fantastic ;) Epcot was the big hit with the kids, by far. 

 

That’s nice to hear. EPCOT and the Studios are going to be the biggest shocks to me whenever I get to go back (EPCOT in particular since Future World is so different now to how it was in the late 80s to mid 90s). Good to know it can still resonate with kids while I remain grumpy and stuck in the past. 😀

 

Did you stay at one of the Disney hotels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

That’s nice to hear. EPCOT and the Studios are going to be the biggest shocks to me whenever I get to go back (EPCOT in particular since Future World is so different now to how it was in the late 80s to mid 90s). Good to know it can still resonate with kids while I remain grumpy and stuck in the past. 😀

 

Did you stay at one of the Disney hotels?


Beach Club Resort, so within walking distance to Epcot + Hollywood Studios. Typhoon Lagoon was another big hit. Animal Kingdom we got rained out of unfortunately. 

Biggest surprise to me was ride reliability - multiple rides down for extended periods at pretty much every park each day, sometimes with the same ride going down multiple times. Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Tower of Terror, Test Track + more. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dogbert said:


Beach Club Resort, so within walking distance to Epcot + Hollywood Studios.

 

 

Lovely. I stayed at the Yacht Club in the early 90s so remember both fondly. It actually amazed me seeing some YouTube walkthroughs of both hotels to see how little has changed, which isn’t a bad thing in their case but testament to how well designed they were in the first place. Can’t believe it’s only now that they’ve decided to expand Beaches and Cream though! 

 

37 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Biggest surprise to me was ride reliability - multiple rides down for extended periods at pretty much every park each day, sometimes with the same ride going down multiple times. Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Tower of Terror, Test Track + more. 

 

Did you get any free Fastpasses to make up for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

Lovely. I stayed at the Yacht Club in the early 90s so remember both fondly. It actually amazed me seeing some YouTube walkthroughs of both hotels to see how little has changed, which isn’t a bad thing in their case but testament to how well designed they were in the first place. Can’t believe it’s only now that they’ve decided to expand Beaches and Cream though! 

 

 

Did you get any free Fastpasses to make up for that?

 

Yep, free 'multipass' each time, with some exceptions for what they could be used for. 

We had Star Tours all to ourselves one ride, which was awesome

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dogbert said:

 

Fantastic ;) Epcot was the big hit with the kids, by far. 

 

I’m curious as to what it was about Epcot that made it such a hit. How old are your kids?

 

Its fascinating to me how people’s opinions of the various parks at WDW can be so different. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...