LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

27 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I’m curious as to what it was about Epcot that made it such a hit. How old are your kids?

Its fascinating to me how people’s opinions of the various parks at WDW can be so different. 

10 + 12. 

Test Track, Soarin', and Mission Space were huge hits. The Frozen ride was a hit with my daughter too. We enjoyed a bunch of rides elsewhere, but Magic Kingdom in particular was just too busy to navigate. We lost half a day of Animal Kingdom because of rain unfortunately, but the Pandora Avatar ride was incredible. 

Even in the late 80s/early 90s when I was going regularly Magic Kingdom was a two-day park really. 

Frozen is interesting. Not a big fan of the film, and I loved the original ride (Maelstrom), but it's one of the older rides that I am more forgiving of seeing re-themed. I loved the troll/folklore aspect of the original, and it's a shame the Frozen re-skin does away with the hole in the rocks that let you see outside before you drop, but the end of the ride when you passed oil rigs and stuff wasn't especially engaging (particularly at a time where education in UK schools was getting wise to teaching kids about holes in the ozone and oil spills...etc. That's also kind of why I don't mind Universe of Energy going too much since, while I loved the dinosaurs and the music of the original pre-Ellen version, I never liked the hand of Exxon being all over it as the sponsor). 

Test Track I've never been on. It looks rather good from what I have seen, in it's current mk2 version at least, but the way it goes outside seems shortsighted to me since if it rains it's another ride that has to shut down (so surely at least once a day, most days in Florida summers?). It's very, VERY hard for me to forgive them replacing World of Motion for that ride though as that was a masterpiece, and one I think could have been brought up to modern standards and expectations.

Which version of Mission Space did you all do? I'd be anxious about doing the Orange Mission. I don't have a history of motion sickness but from things I have heard and read about that one over the years I don't feel I'd want to risk it. I am completely bitter about them smashing down Horizons to make way for this one though, and will take that anger to my grave. :) I do wonder how much life Mission: Space has in it once Smuggler's Run opens over at the Studios. Likewise I wonder how much bringing Tron over from Shanghai to Magic Kingdom will affect the popularity of Test Track (and Tron does launch you outside of course, but you're covered by a canopy unlike Test Track). 

It will be interesting to hear more about the EPCOT renovations at D23. So far all we know about are the landscaping plans for Future World and the park entrance. They've yet to confirm the rumoured refurb for Spaceship Earth, and to say whether anything is going to happen over at the Seas and Imagination pavilions (and while all contemporary versions of Journey into Imagination have clearly been utter dogshit, I have zero confidence in them every bringing it back to a more technically modern interpretation of the version I remember. Chapek seems desperate to stuff familiar IP in there). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dogbert said:

10 + 12. 

Test Track, Soarin', and Mission Space were huge hits. The Frozen ride was a hit with my daughter too. We enjoyed a bunch of rides elsewhere, but Magic Kingdom in particular was just too busy to navigate. We lost half a day of Animal Kingdom because of rain unfortunately, but the Pandora Avatar ride was incredible. 

That’s interesting. I like those rides, but they’re not enough for me to fall in love with the park. It’s nice to know that Epcot can appeal to kids that age (and will do so even more with Ratatouille, Guardians and whatever else they do there). 

That’s unfortunate about the rain at Animal Kingdom. The same thing happened to me the last time I was there. At the time it seemed like we had done most of what we wanted to do and it was best to leave, but in hindsight I felt cheated.

I love just wandering and exploring that park. It feels like you can just stumble on a path at anytime that will take you some place you’ve never been. I know many people view it as a half day park, simply because there aren’t many rides, but for me it is just as much about the experience of being there. 

That park does need some more places to escape the rain though (ironically we ducked into the Bugs Life show just as it started raining, only to be ushered back out into the rain because the theatre was leaking). 

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It will be interesting to hear more about the EPCOT renovations at D23.

I also wonder if there are going to be any announcements for Galaxy’s Edge there, and more than just a Rise of the Resistance preview. Something to let us know if they’re still working on the droids, and if there will be more entertainment, shows, characters, interactions and just some more life. 

A lot of that was promised, and it would be nice to know if it was cut, or if it was just delayed. 

At the very least I think they will confirm the sit down restaurant.

I agree on the other stuff. There’s been some talk that Florida GE is due to have a visual effect of ships flying overhead, presumably drone based technology, and that for some reason this wasn’t possible in Disneyland.

On 7/19/2019 at 2:02 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Which version of Mission Space did you all do? I'd be anxious about doing the Orange Mission. I don't have a history of motion sickness but from things I have heard and read about that one over the years I don't feel I'd want to risk it.

The only trick with that ride is keep focusing straight ahead.  Look out the side, and it's much more likely that you'll get sick.  The illusion in that ride is pretty cool.

• Like 1

We did the green Mission Space twice because my wife got scared by the orange sign :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

The only trick with that ride is keep focusing straight ahead.  Look out the side, and it's much more likely that you'll get sick.  The illusion in that ride is pretty cool.

Interestingly, I remember after it opened and people were vomiting, some actual astronauts recommended eating a banana before you ride, which they said helps.

Again though, even a good experience on Mission Space will never cure my bitterness for it replacing Horizons. 😀

13 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

The illusion is pretty cool, but I always feel pretty gross when I get off it. Next time I go I’d probably stick to the green mission. 

I’m gonna guess that the restaurant won’t spin people around in a centrifuge. 

Hopefully it won’t be because of the food. 

I love Yoshi so that makes me happy. Not sure it’s a good idea for the ride to go outside though, at least in Florida, as it’ll mean shutdowns in the rain. Good luck telling me to abandon the queue for a Yoshi ride, Universal.

Tower of Terror in Paris is due to get some permanent new effects and storyline tweaks in late September. 

The ride will now feature new stories, complete with updated sound and visual effects, all-new drop sequences, and “an iconic character already present in the attraction,” according to Disney.

With these new additions and an “even more immersive story,” the park hopes to attract longtime fans to rediscover their favorite attraction as well as a new generation of guests.

“At Disneyland Paris, we regularly want to reinvent the guest experience to continue to surprise them and bring them new thrills and emotions,” said Bjorn Heerwagen, show design & production director for Walt Disney Imagineering. “We look forward to unveiling the new drop sequences and effects at the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, which will create memorable and terrifying memories for guests of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.”

https://d.adroll.com/consent/write?_l=en&_c=1&_v=4&_e=bounced_consent&_d=https%3A%2F%2Fattractionsmagazine.com%2Ftower-of-terror-updates-disneyland-paris%2F&_s=f2d581f5167c6cb513ab280812e70b07&_b=626d9f6089ce68&_a=L442OGJPNFBODKPLVHOMHV

It's interesting as I had wondered about the long-term fate of the ride in Paris as it sits in front of what will eventually be the Marvel-land, so my assumption was that it might have ended up with the Guardians re-skin since the Paris Tower of Terror is a clone of the California version. Glad to hear it doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.

I wonder if any of these additions will make it over to Florida (the ride celebrates its 25th anniversary this week with no changes, but perhaps for the WDW 50th?).

https://wdwnt.com/2019/07/concept-art-ride-vehicle-revealed-for-disneys-spider-man-ride-at-disneyland-resort-disneyland-paris/

Spider-Man-ride-vehicle-art.jpg

New information and concept art for the Spider-Man ride at Disneyland and Disney Studios Paris has been revealed. 

I’m not quite sure what to make of this ride. Based on what information has come out, and the blueprints that were filed in Paris, it seems like it could be an interactive shooter kind of like Toy Story Mania. 

The ride vehicles look like they have a glass window on the front which makes me think there could be some kind of AR effect used to simulate the web shooters and other powers (combined with screens and practical effects). 

If that is all just in service of an arcade shooter though, that will be disappointing, especially at Disneyland where Toy Story is right by it. 

It also feels like Disneys big new Spider-Man ride could possibly pale in comparison to the one Universal built 20 years ago. 

We will have to see. 

41 minutes ago, Graeme said:

It also feels like Disneys big new Spider-Man ride could possibly pale in comparison to the one Universal built 20 years ago. 

Sadly I've had no reason to expect otherwise since they announced it. 

This lines up with the rumours of what the DCA ride will be as well. 

Toy Story is really good though, but you're right, the Universal Spider-Man ride is still the gold standard.  Still probably the best dark ride out there IMO. 

Have Disney ever really poured a lot of money into project R&D for a ride at DCA and the embarrassing Disney Studios park in Paris? I guess the original Soarin' way back in the day at DCA. I want to say Ratatouille for its trackless tech but it's really not a particularly impressive ride. The two Tokyo parks regularly get high end ride experiences, theming and landscaping, but then Disney isn't footing the bill for anything there.

In the US they've come off the back of all of Pandora and Flight of Passage two years ago, got Galaxy's Edge (x2) with the extra expense of trying to get Rise of the Resistance working, then Mickey & Minnie (x2) and the Guardians coaster swallowing up the budgets really. Then there are the less extravagant projects like Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, the Skyliner, the resorts, and cloning Tron...etc. So in fairness we can obviously see why they can't realistically make everything an "E-Ticket" attraction.

I do think the fact the Universal Spider-man ride is in Florida is another reason they probably felt they can get away with something less ambitious in Paris and California. Universal Japan has Spider-man too, and I assume the same Marvel rights issues apply to the parks in Japan in which case?

So apparently Universal is holding a large media event on Aug 1 at the Orange County Conversation Center in Orlando... which just happens to be right next to their empty lot. 

Speculation is, of course, that Fantastic Worlds will be announced. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 10:23 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Sadly I've had no reason to expect otherwise since they announced it. 

This lines up with the rumours of what the DCA ride will be as well. 

I guess, before they announced it and these patents came out, I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:39 AM, ChrisBardon said:

Toy Story is really good though, but you're right

It's great, I'm not disputing that. But it isn't the type of ride system and experience that really needs to be in a park multiple times. It's like Universal having Spiderman and Transformers in the same place. For Paris it's fine since they don't have Toy Story. For DCA, I just wished they had been a bit more inventive.

I do hope that Spidey will have something that will distinguish itself in some major way. I hope we hear more at D23,

On 7/25/2019 at 12:00 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Have Disney ever really poured a lot of money into project R&D for a ride at DCA and the embarrassing Disney Studios park in Paris? I guess the original Soarin' way back in the day at DCA. I want to say Ratatouille for its trackless tech but it's really not a particularly impressive ride. 

Both those parks were built on the cheap, then both parks needed quick fixes to try and pull in visitors so they got the same Tower of Terror and things like that. Whatever they could build quickly to try and get people to come.

I would say Toy Story Midway Mania and Soarin' at DCA required some R&D. Ratatouille I guess would be the only one at Paris Studios. The next closest would be Crush Coaster, and that's basically a spinning wild mouse in an enclosed building.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:00 PM, Angry the Clown said:

So in fairness we can obviously see why they can't realistically make everything an "E-Ticket" attraction.

Of course not, it just feels like they are finally getting to use Marvel and putting them into the parks.... and it's mostly underwhelming. Ironman is re-skinned Star Tours, Ant Man is re-skinned Buzz Lightyear, Spidey looks like enhanced Toy Story, and the Avengers coaster was rumored to be a redone Tron.

The think I'm most excited about the possibility that the Stuntronics robots are rumored to be used in a Stunt show

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

I guess, before they announced it and these patents came out, I was hoping for something a bit more ambitious.

It could still be! Disney did promise never before seen tech for this ride.

I do think it will be more than another Midway Mania, and certainly  more than the Ant-man ride in China. I probably shouldn’t be so hasty as to say I expect it to pale in comparison to the IOA attraction, but I’m still not convinced it will be as thrilling. We’ll see though. I should be more optimistic about these things.

When listing some of the projects they’ve poured money into above it was a helpful reminder that they've been doing a lot nice of new stuff in a relatively short period of time, but that’s what makes me question if there’s much budget left to really make something spectacular for Anaheim and Paris which typically don’t get extremely impressive exclusive attractions anymore (I’m not counting Galaxy’s Edge as it’s being cloned for WDW). 

As we all agree, in an ideal situation that old ride really needs to be the blueprint of a jumping off point to match or better for imagineering, or else all park nerds, vloggers and bloggers are inevitably going to compare the two. Maybe that will indeed encourage Disney to up their game here, but it’s less about whether Imagineers recognise that obvious fact, and more about the top brass wanting something good but not necessarily amazing so long as the IP draws people in. The ride’s story also needs to be strong as well I think. I’m curious to know what you’ll be fighting.

There IS serious question over the legitimacy of ride vehicle art though as there’s a Hazardous Materials poster from Portal (the game) in the background. I need to dig out the facade art that Disney released a while back too as signage does not match either as on the Disney art the Stark logo reads Stark *obscured*motive (the obscured part is blocked by a tree), while on the alleged ride art it reads Stark *obscured*otors. So WDW News might have been fooled here (wouldn’t be the first time). One could argue Paris won’t have the same Campus land theming for its Marvel land which could explain the signage wording difference, but the Portal reference still seems strange for official Disney art.

Universal social media gearing up for third gate announcement (sorry, I don’t count the water park even if they do 🙂 )

Possibly hints that the name will be Epic Universe which Universal had also registered alongside Fantastic Worlds. I do prefer the latter. Maybe that will be the park name and Epic Universe will be how they refer to the resort?

Just call it “It’s Got a Yoshi Ride! World” and I’d be fine with it.

I hope we see a model as well as concept art. I’m keen to know if those ‘no hub/shopping district is the hub’ rumours come to pass.