LCVG

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My daughter got excellent grades this year, so I told her to pick her vacation spot.  Knowing Galaxy's Edge isn't open at Disney World yet, she picked Ohio, for the excellent coasters at King's Island

Galaxy’s Edge is very impressive, but I would say that many of the criticisms of it are justified. It looks great, and has an amazing level of detail, but it can feel a bit sparse and feels like there

We leave for Florida on Wednesday. We're spending two days at Disneyworld and going to Magic Kingdom and Epcot, I believe.  My wife was in charge of doing that part. I haven't been to Florida in 15 ye

Posted Images

I don’t want to set myself up for crushing disappointment but I’m getting positive vibes from all the depictions of the Imagination Pavilion revealed thus far.

No sign of Inside Out references, and the colours emanating from the building, and particularly the rainbow over the building model, is a real throwback to the original classic ride. Latest rumours suggest it’s definitely keeping Figment in its future, but if they announce that Baxter’s coming in to help re-imagine a take on the v1 version complete with Dreamfinder I will faint. 

There are actually two ‘revealing Sunday’ signs up on that poster wall, so presumably Brazil pavilion and maybe a new ride? I can’t imagine current Disney giving the OK for a new country without a ride.

The model on display is really interesting as it’s all rendered in a dull grey with no detail (potentially signalling projection mapping detail for Sunday?), and it is also very selective about what’s there. Not every country or pavilion is present for example, but Mexico and Imagination are there... but so is China and Mission Space so I’m puzzled (unless those two are red herrings and will be replaced on Sunday with models for Brazil and something else?).

Anyone else finding the prospect of a Brazil pavilion surreal given the state of the country and the rainforest? I’d heard it will be entirely on Disney’s dime, whereas typically represented countries chip in to sponsor their pavilions. Seems like such odd timing to press ahead with it regardless. India was floated as an alternative but on the rumour mill it has never been mentioned as much as Brazil.

Really curious to see how Brazil would be perceived given the political climate (and literal climate as the rainforest and humanity’s future burns).

I've never been to Universal as I'm a Disney guy.  I also get a little motion sick, and my impression is that most of what's worth doing in Universal makes you sick.  That being said I'm gonna take Dramamine and do a day at Universal.  And then 3 days at Disney.

Any advice for my visit to Universal.  We're not the biggest Harry Potter fans.  Though I'll try to get us all watching the movies before we go to get a little more appreciative of that.

Also, I haven't been to Disney in at least 5 years.  Any advice on things to do?  My wife has targeted Avatar as being an important thing.  Obviously Star Wars is a new thing we will do.

I kinda wish they would pave EPCOT over and make it into two lands.  Star Wars Land.  Marvel Land.  Then pave Hollywood Studios over and make it a parking lot for the new EPCOT.

7 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Any advice for my visit to Universal.  We're not the biggest Harry Potter fans.  Though I'll try to get us all watching the movies before we go to get a little more appreciative of that.

If you’re only doing one day, you’ll want to get a 2 park ticket so you can see both parks (including both Harry Potter lands). 

Express pass may be a good idea too if you can spare the extra expense. You can buy them in the park all over the place if you want to wait and gauge the crowd level. 

Depending on what your accommodation situation is, and how many people are going, it may be worth looking into staying one night at one of the Universal hotels that offer free Express Passes. The savings of not having to buy an Express Pass for everyone can almost pay for the room. 

The Harry Potter stuff can be enjoyed even if you’re not a fan, or familiar with the movies, but it certainly helps. You’ll especially benefit when looking around in the shops. 

The motion sickness is one of those things that is super hard to know how bad a particular ride will hit you. People react very differently to each ride. My wife does not do well with screen based motion simulators at all. Forbidden Journey was ok for her, The Simpsons knocked her out for awhile. 

7 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Also, I haven't been to Disney in at least 5 years.  Any advice on things to do?  My wife has targeted Avatar as being an important thing.  Obviously Star Wars is a new thing we will do.

For the new, or popular rides, get Fastpasses or get there as early as possible. This seems especially true for Flight of Passage and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. 

I’m also looking forward to being in Animal Kingdom in the evening whenever I make it back down. 

13 hours ago, Graeme said:

Express pass may be a good idea too if you can spare the extra expense. You can buy them in the park all over the place if you want to wait and gauge the crowd level. 

It looks like you can save some money by buying a ticket+express pass combo ticket beforehand if you’re leaning that way. 

This seems like this might only be the “One time per ride” pass though. There is also an unlimited express pass which maybe needs to be purchased separately. 

The price of the Express Passes also vary quite a bit depending on the day. 

Hah. We posted that at the same time! I find that kind of stuff fascinating, particularly since we’re watching them put together an indoor coaster before the walls even go up.

Also, I would buy the CM costumes for Tron if they sold them as pyjamas:

Ride vehicle model for Mickey and Minnie:

I received this today from Disney:

It’s a really nice companion about the history of the ride (with obvious emphasis on the design history and story behind the Paris version, including the Blue Bayou/Captain Jack’s Restaurant). 

A similar Phantom Manor book went on sale too but sold out within an hour and I missed it. I’m hoping it will go on sale again soon though.

I’ve got the forthcoming Marc Davis double volume hardback ordered. That’s putting a dent in the wallet but I’m really looking forward to it.

Parks conference is at 10:30 PT I believe, which is a welcome 17:30 my time which will make easy for me to follow along on Twitter. Definitely a shame they don’t stream these things. 

I really hope we get an announcement for Imagination, and that Baxter’s going to come in and do it and that Dreamfinder will be coming back. The model being on display and much of the new landscaping  being largely focused on that side of the park is giving me hope, but a fool’s hope.

I fear the extent of fan service to shut some of us up could rest entirely in the new logo effectively being the old logo, the new park entrance effectively being the old park entrance, and the commitment to pavilion iconography. Just give us oldies a ride too, damn it.

I’m also interested to see what gets announced that isn’t related to Epcot or the Marvel Land. I guess right now of the US parks it’s Animal Kingdom that is deserving of something new, but then it is still riding off the success of Pandora so who knows. The Studios needs a major re-think like Epcot, but after Toy Story and Galaxy’s Edge it may be a couple of years before we hear about anything significant to improve that park’s muddled theming and awful layout. Would be nice to hear of them re-thinking the Animation Courtyard sooner rather than later though (time to kill off Launch Bay). 

Not long to go. Am listening to my bootleg of the original Sherman Brothers Imagination pavilion BGM and ride music so I can properly set myself up for crushing disappointment. 😫

I will not rest until the ride is restored to its original state propped up by modern technology, and until Dreamfinder and Figment get a Disney Plus animated series. 

Appears to be a leak on the transportation system from Galaxy's Edge Hollywood Studios over to the Star Wars hotel located in the Epcot resort area.

"Guests will enter from a jetway which will put them inside the sealed-off center section of this bus. They won’t see a driver, nor the outside world of Central Florida, at least not until they disembark at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge."

"The inside of the transport is heavily themed, leading guests to believe they are in a space capsule on its way to a day of vacation fun on Batuu. The experience is completed by large screens that act as windows out into space."

6gj9kb7wymh31.png?width=960&crop=smart&a