LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

Seems like it’s calmed down quite a bit. The Boarding Passes aren’t being used anymore and the crowds seem manageable. Helps to have a ride with a large throughput that is operating reliably. 

Definitely the mornings are busy, but right now it’s reasonable (85min wait for Smugglers Run as I write this). Rise of the Resistance should be for the park what Flight of Passage is at Animal Kingdom once it opens, so I think if things quieten down they will soon shoot back up again as the ride’s opening will be in Dec, and let’s not forget that's when Ep9 hype will be in full swing. Assuming it runs without much down time then I think Rise will get a lot of press attention for all the right reasons too.

There’s also the factor of not knowing when Fastpasses will open for either ride. I’ve been learning a little this week about how the Fastpass system is actually detrimental for ride and park operations as well as wait times, so things could likely get worse when Fastpass opens which is why they haven’t dared offer it for the new attractions on opening.

So now that the TSA has made it aware that they are A-ok, someone will do something stupid with one of these.  For the laughs...

If they hadn't acted so ridiculously to begin with, not a single soul would have ever noticed. 

39cvue.jpg

39cw6f.jpg

So we were supposed to be at Florida right now to visit Universal. We ended up canceling because of the hurricane.

Never an easy decision. There was no way to know where it was going. Even now it’s still sketchy. There is no doubt about how bad it’s going to be though. There is nothing slowing it down. 

Interesting to hear Jim Hill claiming that the forthcoming EPCOT water attraction wasn’t designed around an IP until Chapek allegedly demanded it at the eleventh hour. I can believe it. 

On 8/31/2019 at 9:20 PM, AlbertA said:

So we were supposed to be at Florida right now to visit Universal. We ended up canceling because of the hurricane.

Good call, however frustrating. I’m glad you’re out of its path.

Amazon just delivered the Marc Davis imagineering book(s). I am absolutely knocked out and left giddy like a child trying to take it all in (I went right to vol2’s section on World of Motion first as we so rarely see work from that, but even for the attractions we have seen work from there’s just an overwhelming amount of unseen photos and sketches throughout). The Western River Expedition chapter is immense.

Worth every damn penny.

Disney produced Skyliner video. 

These promotional videos Disney has been making without any music or voiceover are weird. There’s just something that doesn’t feel quite right, like they’re too quiet. The Galaxy’s Edge videos they made had the exact same feeling. 

They almost feel like one of those videos that would loop on a TV at an electronics store to show off a TV and/or camera. 

Weird indeed. Perhaps them tearing out live entertainment from the parks has extended to them not wanting to pay for music in their promo videos too. 🙂 😕

It looks like B-roll for the parks tv channel in the resorts missing the narration and music though, you’re right.

Nice to see there is narration on board the gondolas themselves though. 

Iron Man coaster vehicles revealed for Paris:

I’m quite curious to see what they do visually inside the ride. As far as I know the Rock n Rollercoaster track layout will remain.

I really wonder how Tron will affect the popularity of the neighbouring Space Mountain. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to gut the ride’s interior and re-design it with a new layout and more modern system. 

On 9/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, Angry the Clown said:

I really wonder how Tron will affect the popularity of the neighbouring Space Mountain. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to gut the ride’s interior and re-design it with a new layout and more modern system. 

I think both will do fine.  It's still one of the better rides at the park, and last time I was there lines were still pretty consistent.  If they want to update the interior/effects sure.  I never saw the "hyperspace" version, but I did see the Ghost Galaxy overlay in Anaheim once and it's not bad. 

WDWNT has a review of the Skyliner.

Overall it is fairly positive. Nice views, a nice alternative way to get around, adds some of the magic to Disney transportation. 

Negatives include the character vinyls obstructing the view, especially if you’re trying to get pictures or video, the seats facing inward (although the suggestion of having a seat in the middle doesn’t seem like it would work), being able to see backstage areas, and a major concern with how hot they could get if the system stops for any length of time. 

They also have video of all the routes.

The one thing that surprised me was the station at the Rivera Resort. That station is a ride through station, meaning you don’t have to get off and transfer if you’re not stopping there. That addresses one of my concerns about how many times you would have to transfer to get anywhere, especially if they were to expand the station. 

You can certainly see how the turn near Epcot could be a Station like this with the option to get off to go to other resorts, and eventually Animal Kingdom. 

• Like 1

Not happy AT ALL to see Catherine Powell fired by Chapek who’s been scrapping several leading roles within the parks management this week. She’s the kind of person who should have his job. Brilliant business acumen with 15yrs experience in several major divisions of the company, GREAT people skills, and a genuine love and knowledge of company and park history.