LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Did you ever get a chance to ride it in the dark?

I rode Hagrid's in the dark back in November-extremely cool ride.  They didn't have the full preshow running though-just fang walking around in the hologram set.  Even when the park was only open to Ignite attendees, the wait was still 90 mins.  Not looking forward to the lines in February...

• Like 1

Not sure what to do about DHS for the feb trip.  Right now, we're going to be down for the 9th-14th, and we have 5d universal passes.  Plan was originally to do 1d at DHS primarily to see Star Wars.  The thing is, I don't really like the idea of spending $600+ on admissions, and then having to mess with a virtual queue/boarding group that means you might not be able to get in at all.  I'd be fully prepared for a 2-2.5h line, like we did for Avatar a few years back, but when the only option seems to be "get to the park at 5am", that's a little messed up. 

I guess that confirms that it'll be coming to the FL park, presumably in the new gate?  There's still room to rip out the old kids area at Studios, but I suppose if they have a whole new park to fill, the existing parks aren't going to see much attention for a while. 

It's definitely going in the new park. They seemed to instantly abandon plans to begin building at the Studios once they secured the land for Epic Universe.

Video view of construction in Japan:

Hollywood is definitely getting Mario Kart as the building is well under way, but am not sure if it will incorporate Yoshi or not. In Japan it looks as though both share the same building, so it's perhaps possible but from the video below it doesn't look as if the foundations are there for the exterior portion of Yoshi, unless they are flipping it to the opposite side of the big building and that's what the secondary structure is for.

Florida will add the Donkey Kong Country mine kart coaster.

So I think we've decided to give DHS a try next week.  It looks like the park opens at 8 every day, so I think if we're on the road by 6:45-7, we should be able to make the 11 minute drive and get into the park before 8 (although looking online, maybe planning on a 6:30 departure would be better).  From all indications, backup groups have been making it in, and they're being really conservative with the number that they allocate first thing.  Test this morning showed that I could have gotten a regular group until 8:02, and as of 8:25 could still get into a backup group.  The backups seem to be "as long as the ride doesn't break down, we'll get you in", so hopefully things have started to stabilize? 

Fuck $120/day tickets though... 

I’m going to be in L.A. this weekend and will try to make it to Disneyland on Saturday. Hopefully I can make one of the boarding groups. If not then I’ll try again at DHS in April. 

Well, I’ve been home from our WDW trip for a week, and wanted to share details from my recent visit to the Busiest Place on Earth.  Long post warning.  Star Wars impressions will be a second post, so folks can skip to that if desired.

I last visited Disney back in March of 2018 (which was in conjunction with a Disney Cruise [which I never wrote about here, as I promised - apologies]), but I only spent a single day at Universal and a single day at Animal Kingdom.  So I hadn’t been at the other 3 WDW locations since 2016, I would guess.  Some major changes had occurred at Hollywood Studios in-between visits and I’d at least get to see the major changes underway at EPCOT.  My son had two days off from school in late January, so my wife and I decided to take big “just us” vacation to Orlando (he just turned 16), planned for Saturday through the following Wednesday (coming back home Wed night).  Wife was excited to get back to Disney, son and I were excited to see the World of Pandora again, and I was intrigued by the new Star Wars land (son and wife were more neutral).  We had hoped for less crowds than last time (we were there over Spring Break in 2018) in this visit, trying to visit after the holidays and well in advance of Ski Weeks and Spring Breaks.  Lesson One: there is no longer an off-season.  The crowds were every bit as big as I experienced almost two years ago, even on the “work days” of Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday.

I always try to do something new with each visit, and my “something new” this time was staying at a Resort I’ve walked through a few times, but never had the opportunity to stay at: The Polynesian.  As one of the original two, I’d driven past it dozens of times on Monorails from the Transportation Center on the way to MK.  Although numerous other resorts had grown up around it (and the Contemporary), it remains a throwback to the history of the Park.  I’d eaten there twice before, as they have a Stitch character breakfast and my wife LOVES Stitch.  I resolved we would finally stay there, adding convenience to our trip (staying at a Monorail resort).  The nominal prices are crazy for the Seven Seas Resorts (the two original, plus the Grand Floridian), so I decided to do something new.  We’d eyeballed Disney Vacation Club for years (and probably should have signed up when my son was young and prices weren’t nutty), and so decided to take a test drive – we utilized a DVC points rental service (Dave’s Vacation Club, which acts a broker and guarantees you won’t lose your money) to reserve 5 nights at the Polynesian.  It ended up being just over $1600, which averages down to 320 a night, about half of the market price.  We put it the request in May, and found a match in June (it required up-front payment, but that was one less worry in January).  Our backup plan was an old favorite, Coronado Springs (one of the nicer Moderates).  Even renting the points, linking the tickets to the DVC reservation was a snap, and we were all set.  I ended up really enjoying the hotel, but we only ever slept, napped, and occasionally ate there.  No pool or resort specific experience of note, except for the special bar (Trader Sams Grog Grotto) and the Pineapple Lanai (Pineapple Dole Whip just outside the lobby).  But waking up and walking to the Monorail in <5 minutes was great, which covered two of the parks.  If you are looking to splurge on a Seven Seas Resort, I think it’s worth it at a discounted price or at market price for a short trip.  Wife said she preferred our stay at Contemporary a few years back (you can walk to or from MK from there), and I’m inclined to agree.

So, the parks.  I wanted to save DHS for a weekday (hoping [naively and foolishly] for smaller crowds), so we planned for MK/EPCOT on Saturday, MK/AK on Sunday (took a big 4 hour break in the middle), DHS on Monday, and AK/?? on Tuesday.

The Imagineering Story primed us to enjoy some of the classics, several of which I hadn’t done in YEARS and YEARS.  Unfortunately, both Splash Mountain and the Train were being updated/serviced, so my dream of leisurely riding the train around the park for a while was immediately crushed.  We did take the People Mover, mostly to gawk at the construction of the TRON coaster.  Hit some of the coasters early or via FP+, but was surprised to see the wait times creep over 60 minutes for the classics and over 80 for the coasters by late morning.  Still, rode The Jungle Cruise and attended the Enchanted Tiki Room alongside perennial rides on Haunted Mansion and Pirates.  Pirates has found a nice balance between the classic ride and the movies, pulled back from the orgy of movie changes a decade or so ago.  Managed to attend the Hall of Presidents on one of the subsequent visits.  I continue to really enjoy Big Thunder Mountain, which is the perfect starter coaster for young kids, with enough thrills and visuals to appeal to adults.  Snow White Mine Train coaster never had a line short enough (on any of our three attempts) to ride; we had used FastPass (FP+) on Space and Thunder instead.  I don’t regret it, having ridden it once a year or so after it opened.  Decent, but not worth two hours.  After our first day at MK, went to EPCOT for dinner.  Didn’t ride anything, but that park is almost ½ under construction.  I’ll prioritize it for our next trip when a bunch of stuff is open and finished.  It ended up being our only 2-3 hours at EPCOT the entire trip.

Day two was an AK afternoon (where all of our FP+ were).  We hit MK in the morning again (wife and son’s request), but the lines quickly made staying too much of a chore.  Took a hotel break before heading over to AK.  AK is our favorite park, and it contains three of our favorite rides.  Fortunately, we signed up for FP early, so had a FP for Flight of Passage this time (twice: one Sunday, one Tuesday), plus Everest and the Safari.  We had also made a dinner reservation at Tiffins, their high-end, inside-the-park restaurant.  We had that reservation in 2018 as well, but bailed to wait in line for Flight of Passage a second time back then.  The safari, which I’ve ridden at least 15 or more times, is still a favorite.  They got rid of the “SIMBA 1, SIMBA 1!” chasing poachers stuff years ago, but it remains pleasant to get on the truck and visit a big zoo and see some wonderful animals.  Expedition Everest is always a blast…we lucked into a soft opening way back in 2006, so I’m one of the lucky riders to have seen the Yeti move.  Even with an immobile Yeti, it remains a great coaster, theming and ride alike.  It also has a single rider line, so my teenage son can get some extra thrill time on his vacation.  The biggest attraction for us in AK is World of Pandora…my son and I were both moved and thrilled by Flight of Passage when we first rode it (after waiting three hours) almost two years back.  I was excited to ride it again, to see if it still retained the magic.  This time, we were on the ride about 2 hours and 50 minutes faster.  We ended up riding it three times, once with FP+ on Sunday, and twice on Tuesday (first with FP+, and then we queued for 2 hours to do it again).  It’s still our favorite ride at WDW, by a very wide margin.  Some of the 3-D needs to be tightened (especially in the mellow cavern sequence with the seed pods), but it retains its considerable emotional and spectacle heft.  I made sure to look up, down, and way to the left and right this time.  It’s incredibly dense visually.  You need to go about 90 degrees to the side in order to see other riders.  The ride managed to vacillate around 2 – 2.5 hours most of the days we were at WDW (we check the wait times for all parks almost every hour).  The lowest we saw was 110 minutes, the highest 210 minutes.  Usually 140-180.

I’ll cover all of the SW: GE and DHS stuff in the next post. 

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a great time. If you are still interested in DVC you should look into purchasing from the second hand market. You will save thousands vs purchasing directly from Disney.   Not a sales pitch at all I'm a DVC member and have purchased points both ways. David's is a great way to dip your toes and see which resort you would prefer as your home resort. I own at Animal Kingdom Villas and bought direct from Disney 7 years ago then added on a few more points two years later through the second hand market and was surprised how much more points I was able to purchase for a lot less than what I paid direct.

I haven't had a chance to stay at the Poly but it's on my list. The only negative about that resort at least on the DVC side is that they only have studios or the Bungalows. As a family of four studios are getting tight and honestly once you stay in a one bedroom you don't want to go back to a studio. However if it were just the wife and I then a studio would not be an issue.

Looking forward to hearing about your Batuu and DHS experience.

Htide, thanks for the insight.  Considering buying from Disney is locked into the newest resort (the Riviera), if we consider DVC in a few years, it’ll be second hand.  I’d only consider getting DVC on the monorail or Animal Kingdom Lodge.  One of the nicest things about the Poly DVC rooms was they had two bathrooms.  The bed situation wasn’t bad either.  A queen, a pullout sofa, and a drop down twin bed.  But there are only three of us, so any of those rooms would work.  Anyways, back to my GE post...

Obviously, a big part of our trip was seeing the new stuff at DHS.  I’ll generalize early, and then share details about GE, Smugglers Run, and Rise of the Resistance later in their own paragraphs.  Those will have spoilers, but I’ll try and be clear about those before I dive in.

Logistics and Morning: We woke up at 5:30 AM, got ready, and drove our rental vehicle (paying the Premium Parking fee) to DHS.  The line for Premium was the same line for Rideshare, so it took a good 10 minutes to park (lots of ridesharing drop-offs in progress).  In any case, we were in line to enter DHS by 6:30 AM on Monday (27 Jan).  After about 15 minutes, we were in the park by just after 6:45.  Wandered over to the right and behind Mann’s, waiting for rope drop to head to Slinky’s.  Obviously, the priority was getting a Boarding Group Pass for RoR.  When the little 7:00 whistle went, we clicked through the material (necessitating removing family members from old trips, which took an extra 20 seconds) on the My Disney Experience app, and got Boarding Group 56.  With that future success in hand, we pushed into Toy Story Land to ride the new Slinky Dog coaster.  Even with rope drop, the wait was just over an hour.  Quite enjoyed the coaster, though we were already feeling the early morning waiting in the ouroboros of a line.  After that, we immediately jumped onto Toy Story Mania, which remains a blast.  The queue seems pretty similar to the original entrance.  Andy’s little snack front was way to packed to get a bite, so we decided to wander.  Our first major gripe…too many rides at DHS are Tier 1, so we had a FP+ for RocknRoller Coaster and Star Tours, but nothing else.  With DHS bursting with people, we had to just grind it out waiting for our RoR to come along.  We ended up not riding Tower of Terror (100-130 minutes).  The morning consisted of long lines for everything and watching the app work through Boarding Groups.  They were cruising along quite well until about 1030, when there was obviously a shutdown.  While waiting, we decided to cruise over to GE and see the new land.  It was busy, but not overwhelming, crowd-wise.  I’m relatively lukewarm to the Star Wars universe at this point in my life, but I will admit a thrill to seeing the Millenium Falcon at the opposite end of the land.  Overall, GE is quite spacious and flat, bigger than Pandora, but without the aerial spectacle.  At this point, family was getting testy, so we departed for a little bit and watched as the ride finally came back online  The shutdown appeared to last an hour or so, but when the BGs started climbing again, they climbed fast.  By about 1230, BG 56 was now eligible to ride, so we wandered over to get in line, which was just beyond the entrance from Muppets/Star Tours.  The queue was pretty interesting, loaded with familiar and new props within the universe.

Rise of the Resistance:  This was a technically impressive ride, but it really didn’t do much for me.  Felt a lot like the two Universal Harry Potter rides, in that it used actors from the Sequel Trilogy to tell a brief story, functionally aimed at 11 year olds.  In my age and cynicism, I couldn’t help teasing my wife (in whispers, I didn’t want to bother the remainder of the guests) at how silly capturing us was…we’d literally been in the Resistance for 10 minutes and wouldn’t know a damn thing.  I’ll share a quick ride summary: after the BB-8 and Rey intro (welcoming you to your new successful career in the Resistance), you walk to your shuttle through the outside (the rest of GE and guests) are no longer visible.  You enjoy a brief flight leaving Batuu up into space (through windows à screens on the front and back, I recommend staying near the back window), into a space battle, and then get captured.  From there, the cosplay begins in earnest through the hangar.  They queue you up a bit, and then get you into an oddly shaped cell to see Ren and Hux threaten you with interrogation.  Following a rescue, you enter a droid-driven (magnetic) vehicle and race around the SD interior (two levels) for a little while until making a drop back to Batuu, periodically being threatened by troopers and Ren.  All in all, I was quite impressed with the technical side, but the storytelling wasn’t particularly engaging.  Part of that may be my ambivalence towards the Sequel Trilogy in general.  I’m glad we rode it and my family liked it.  But I wouldn’t use a FP+ on it in the future, nor would I wait longer than 60 minutes to see it on a subsequent visit.  It wouldn’t make my top five favorite attractions at DHS.  They seemed to get through at least 140 BGs every day we were there, even with intermittent issues.  With an hour less, I imagine they’ll still get into the 130s.  The main groups go through 92.  Make sure to have the app ready to go and be IN the park.  Some of the major blogs have guides to optimize your chances.  Anyways, as long as you are in the park by 8:00 and ready on the app, you’ll get a group that will make it.

Star Tours:  I only rode this once, but I have a feeling that every ride gets the RoS package right now...corporate synergy.  I’ve always liked Star Tours, and this was a fun and expected little experience.  It does the usual C3P0 tomfoolery, we run from Kylo Ren (him again!), and 90 seconds later are fighting in the big battle that ends RoS.  There must be some time dilation, since Ben Solo would have been murdering the Knights of Ren at that point, but okay.  I like that the ride has some different experiences, and hope to get some different ones on the next visit.  Still, I saved the universe at the end of RoS…that is canon now.

Smugglers Run:  We had to bite the bullet and hit a 75 minute wait for SR in mid-afternoon.  It was after the previous two rides, but I was pretty excited for it.  It queues around the MF, on two levels, and I enjoyed the long and detailed looks at the Falcon.  The briefing is by Hondo (from one of the cartoons apparently) – a genuinely amazing animatronic.  I’m of two minds on the ride itself.  We had a really fun experience, but it was predicated on the six person crew (we were the back 50% of it).  The ride itself is sort of frustrating.  It is a six seat cockpit, with two pilots side by side up front (closest to the screens), then two gunners (about 4-5 feet from the screens), and then two engineers (about 8-10 feet from the screens).  I ended up as an engineer, of course.  Each of the segments has a job, and my job as the engineer was to repair the ship…which necessitated looking at a plain, flat panel with light up buttons right next to me…at a 90 degree angle from the distant screens (the cockpit window).  So I only observed about 40-50% (at best) of the adventure on the screens.  We had fun teasing one another (all adults, except for my 16 year old son) on our mediocre performances.  But I couldn’t really see any of the spectacle or scenery through which the MF was flying.  It was a button simulator in the back for the most part.  Still, we had fun.  I’d have tried for a second ride (at least the gunner always gets to be looking forward), but the wait was still over an hour and my family was worn out.  We decided to call it a night.

I will say, based on our obsessive viewing of ride times over each of the days, DHS got quieter than the other parks at dinnertime and beyond.  Sadly, because of winter parks were closing at 8 PM, so we couldn’t go hard one night to beat the crowds.  But DHS had 30 min times from 6 PM until close every night.  Makes sense…after folks get their RoR on, they tend to migrate to other parks or hotelward.  I was hoping to get a snack or a Cantina visit in GE, but the lines prevent the Cantina (fair enough) and family wanted a Muppets pizza lunch.  I did enjoy GE, but it wasn’t quite the experience I’d hoped for.  A second visit, starting at 8 AM a few years from now, may increase the enjoyment.

Overall, my biggest takeways from the whole trip: 

There is no off-season at the Parks anymore.  It’s busy ALL the time.  Disney is expanding resorts, bringing more people than ever into the Parks, but they are much slower at spreading those people out across the parks with new content.

As your kid(s) get older, the actual ride is sitting in a line with them and having them actually talk to you for a half hour.

We should have taken another afternoon or evening (or morning off)…Park/Park/Park/Dinner/Sleep/Park/Park/etc is draining.

Everyone brings their witty little shirts or hats relative to Disney/Star Wars/Marvel.  

Food remains incredibly overpriced, but at least a lot better (quality-wise) than it was twenty years ago.  We thought Tiffins was a great dinner experience.  But it was NOT cheap.

• Like 1

Sounds like it was a good trip! I like the idea of trying something new each time. I always want to explore things away from the theme parks like the other hotels, but never have as much time as I’d like. Last trip we did take a walk around the Grand Floridian. Would like to check out the Boardwalk next time. 

One thing I would really like to do is stay at one of the nicer resorts on property. It’s just hard to justify that cost. 

Thanks for the report.  I've been watching data at https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/attraction/hollywood-studios/starwarsriseoftheresistance/ over the last few days trying to get an idea of what to expect.  It looks like yesterday was a bad day (less than 60 groups), and when I've opened the app a couple of mornings at 8, it looks like the main groups have gone VERY quickly.  Need to try to clean out the extra linked accounts from my app, but for some reason it's not letting me delete people that don't have valid tickets. 

Watched both that linked video and their video for HTTYD.  Both look quite intriguing, and I’ll work to convince my wife that trip in 2023 or 2024 should possibly focus on Universal for a change.

• Like 1

Trip to Florida so far has been pretty good.  We did 4 days at Universal, and it was pretty empty for most of them.  Studios and IOA were both probably 20 minute waits at the most, with Hagrid being an hour both times we've done it.  My daughter got picked for a wand at Olivander's, and she was vibrating with excitement afterwards when we were waiting to pay for the $60 wand (plus $30 for a display stand of course).  I don't really begrudge it though, since it'll be something she has as a keepsake for a long time.  Also did Volcano Bay for the first time, and I think it's probably better than Typhoon Lagoon from what I remember of it.  The virtual queues work well, although most things were "ride now" all day, the Krakatau "aqua coaster" is seriously cool, and the water is heated much warmer than you'd expect.  The only complaint there is that "you can't get there from here" a lot of the time, navigating the park is a bit of a pain, and the TapuTapu devices, while cool, could REALLY use a clock function, since it was hard to keep track of the time without a dedicated watch or phone.  Still worth checking out though.

Today was DHS though, since we'd decided to try to do a day there to check out Star Wars.  I've been reading up on it for weeks, trying to plot out a plan of attack, and I thought I did everything right.  Got everyone up and out of the hotel at 6:30, and made it into the lot, and through the gates by 7:15 for an 8 am opening.  8 rolls around, and I'm refreshing the app like crazy, and the "join group" button is still disabled while I'm hearing cheers from others around me.  Finally got into a group at 8:00:45 or so, and...group 92.  The person sitting at the same table as I was (who happened to be a cast member there with her kids) got a group at exactly the same time, and got 51 instead.  Up to 70 were guaranteed, and that's all they made it through today.  For the past 15 days, they're made it well over 100 most of them, but not today I suppose...  That's at least $500 in tickets, a whole lot of stress, and no ROTR.  Talked to a couple of "guest experience" people there, and their response was basically "sorry, you're SOL" .  So much for Disney going the extra mile to make guests happy?  It's strange having watched the Imagineering Story that mentioned Disneyland staying open for 24h straight when Star Tours first opened to get people through...today's Disney Parks are a far cry from that....

We did manage to do the Falcon twice though (which was cool), and wander through some of the shops (which were super crowded).  I was also a little pissed off that the capacity for Savi's workshop was so pitiful, and that you couldn't get in without having made a reservation so far in advance.  Having just come over from Universal, where you can just line up for Olivander's and get in, it's a little jarring.  Disney has now turned from something you can do spontaneously to something you have to plan out by the minute 6 months out...

Maybe I'm just a little biter right now about having dropped a bunch of cash on a DHS day and not having been able to do 2 of the 3 things I wanted to there (ROTR and Savi), but I'm really not impressed with the way today went...

Chris, I’m sorry.  If it is any consolation, I liked Smugglers Run much more.  Having ridden RotR the one time, I can confidently say I’ll probably never ride it again.  Technically interesting, but narratively inert.  I’m jealous of your Hagrids experience,  I’m really looking forward to trying that in a few years.

Yeah, we've been really fortunate on the Universal side of things.  Going to go back tomorrow for our last day before late flight home, and definitely want to try to hit Hagrid one last time.  Probably the best "narrative" coaster I've ever been on, and some real unexpected things on it.  Guardians of the Galaxy has a lot to live up to. 

A couple of other things that I noticed about Universal vs Disney this week were that any of the "events" that happened were much easier to get at for Universal.  For example, the light show at Hogwarts was something we kind of stumbled into, and basically grabbed a spot for 5 mins before they started.  Same with the Mardi Gras parade at Studios-10 mins before we walked out of Minion Mayhem, saw it was starting up, and grabbed a seat to watch it.  By contrast, if you want to get a spot for fireworks or a parade at Disney, you need to stake it out at least 40 mins in advance...

9 hours ago, dienekes96 said:

Chris, I’m sorry.  If it is any consolation, I liked Smugglers Run much more.  Having ridden RotR the one time, I can confidently say I’ll probably never ride it again.  Technically interesting, but narratively inert.  I’m jealous of your Hagrids experience,  I’m really looking forward to trying that in a few years.

Smuggler's run was basically a beefed up Star Tours, which is fine, and I got more of the ride the second time when I wasn't concentrating on piloting (which is pretty cool).  Might have been nice if they didn't split up U/D and L/R on the pilots (and give one person the option of flying the whole thing), but I can see why there's the consolation that there is.  As for ROTR, I've heard feedback both ways on it, and really just wanted to see it for myself.  I'd held off on any POV videos or anything because I knew I'd have this chance coming up, but now I'll probably just check out a couple of those to see what we missed.  It also looks like yesterday was the worst operating day in a couple weeks for the ride, so luck of the draw I guess?  Had it been a multi-day trip, then that would have been fine.  We probably would have started every day at DHS this way, and then gone elsewhere for a while until we made it on, but missing out on a single day just sucks. 

• Like 1

Back home, and definitely glad we went last week instead of this week.  I think this is the start of Spring Break season, since Saturday at Universal was much busier than earlier in the week.  We made it on Hagrid one last time, and hit a minor breakdown near the end before the final launch.  We were stuck for maybe 45 seconds, but they offered us a re-ride immediately afterwards, so we did two laps on it.  That's also where I realized that the track splits in the show building, and I actually have no idea how many trains they have going at once, but it's a really cool system. 

They're completely outclassed on the animatronics here though.  The Hagrid one just looks sad...  I suppose you're blowing by pretty quickly, but even then you can tell that the face doesn't really move.  After seeing Hondo on the Falcon ride, it's night and day.

• Like 1

I've often read that, at max capacity Hagrid can have 12 trains running at any one time.

Was the Hogwarts light show you saw the nighttime one with the clever use of drones? I'd seen videos of the Hollywood version and it looked incredibly impressive. 

12?  I suppose there are 7 launches, each of which should also be able to brake, plus one extra in the second drop segment, plus a few in load/unload?  It is a really long track, but I suppose you could count the number of sections with viable escape platforms.  When it's moving, it's almost constantly loading/unloading. 

The nighttime lights on the castle didn't have any drones, and were pretty minimal.  I think they're blocked by the local residents from doing anything too elaborate, since there are houses almost directly across the street from the park.  Some projection mapping stuff with the different house colours etc, but nothing to write home about.  The Star Wars fireworks at DHS were better, but even those weren't great compared to the ones they've done at the Magic Kingdom.