LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

I am surprised that the opening includes Volcano Bay. I’m not sure how that’s supposed to work. 

That already has virtual queues for everything, and if nothing else, the most disinfectant of any of the parks, so maybe it'll be safer that way?  I mean, it's a gamble for anyone who wants to go to a place like that anyway, so I'm sure there's a massive amount of liability release on the park's part.  No doubt there's going to be a "mysterious" spike in cases in Florida in the next few weeks...

Yes, they might as well put a sign outside Volcano Bay stipulating “you’d have to be especially crazy to come here, but”... 

For completely different safety reasons they obviously have to reverse their rules and ask people NOT to wear face masks on the slides or in the pools (confirmed by their Twitter feed). It’ll be interesting to see what the reduced capacity figure is for VB.

I wonder if implementation of the virtual queue system at the two main parks will introduce that change for good. They’ve said they are adopting the system from Volcano Bay for most attractions. Was that the same system they use on the Fallon ride or is that a little different?

9 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

That already has virtual queues for everything, and if nothing else, the most disinfectant of any of the parks, so maybe it'll be safer that way?  I mean, it's a gamble for anyone who wants to go to a place like that anyway, so I'm sure there's a massive amount of liability release on the park's part.  No doubt there's going to be a "mysterious" spike in cases in Florida in the next few weeks...

In a world where we are still leaning about how this virus can be transmitted, where we are still worried about touching a handrailing or pinpad buttons unless they’ve been wiped down with Lysol, and we’re covering up for safety, it seems bizarre to go somewhere where everyone will be walking around half naked in swim suits, swimming in the same water, going down the same water slides and sharing the same tubes. It seems like a recipe for disaster. 

Maybe there’s enough stuff in the water that everyone who touches it will be magically cleansed and it will actually be super safe, but the optics of it seem poor to me. 

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Was that the same system they use on the Fallon ride or is that a little different?

They’re quite different. Volcano bay is kind of like old Fastpass combined with Magic Bands if the only had a Fastpass line and no standby. They have an estimated wait time posted for the rides, if you want to ride, you tap your wristband and then it will tell you when you can come back in its screen. When it’s your time to ride, you still may have to wait in a standard line for a bit (or awhile). 

Fallon is a bit more like Rise of the Resistance (with a bit of Smugglers Run). You join the queue through the app or a kiosk, but it looks like you get to choose a time. When your time comes, you are assigned a group color when you enter the building. Instead of a standard line and queue, they have waiting rooms with different props and screens to keep you entertained, but you’re able to wander around and look at whatever you like. When your group is called, you get to move to the next room until you get to the actual ride. 

From what I’ve heard with Fallon though is that you can usually just walk in and get assigned to a group because it’s never super busy. 

• Interesting 1

I keep wondering what the on ride mask policy is going to be. Surely there's a potential danger when wearing such a thing on an intense coaster? With one's mouth and nose covered, the g-force pressure could make it seriously hard to breathe. 

10 hours ago, Graeme said:

Maybe there’s enough stuff in the water that everyone who touches it will be magically cleansed and it will actually be super safe, but the optics of it seem poor to me. 

That's all I was thinking of-they have to keep the water chlorinated enough to kill all the piss and shit that ends up in it, which also has to help with the virus.  That being said, all the other comments are still totally valid, and I wouldn't go right now.  This reopening is probably going to end badly...

The virtual queue at Volcano Bay was probably the best implementation of any of the systems I saw on our last trip.  I liked that you actually had to tap into a line, as opposed to booking things 6 months in advance.  There was also a lot of "ride now" options, which don't bump you from your virtual queue.  Of course, in a park not designed for this, you need places to put people who aren't standing in a line anymore.  At low capacity that's one thing, but at full tilt?  There's not room. 

Probably more interesting than parks reopening though-what does this mean for construction/maintenance?  Are those going to be back to normal?  Does this mean that Rise of the Resistance will actually get to be working 100%?  Actually, if they have "face" characters in there, are they all going to be in masks now?  Do they accuse the resistance fighters of trying to bring a virus on board :)

6 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Probably more interesting than parks reopening though-what does this mean for construction/maintenance?  Are those going to be back to normal?  Does this mean that Rise of the Resistance will actually get to be working 100%?  Actually, if they have "face" characters in there, are they all going to be in masks now?  Do they accuse the resistance fighters of trying to bring a virus on board :)

Construction seems to be have been ongoing at Universal, albeit scaled back with fewer teams on the ground. Disney pretty much stopped completely on construction however (while maintenance and groundskeeping continued).

I think some Epic Universe ground work continued but it’s generally accepted that the whole projected is paused and will be delayed a year from its planned opening.

That’s an interesting question about the resistance and first order CM’s on Rise. They’d have to be masked for sure. Have they kept prince and princess characters visible in Shanghai or are they just sticking with the fully costumed ones like Mickey, Chip n Dale...etc? They could maybe do Cinderella on a parade float unmasked, but they really shouldn’t have parades that encourage gatherings (apparently fireworks shows are unlikely because lockdowns have severely affected the manufacturing and supply chain).

A number of people have said the extended downtime seen under lockdown for these attractions is not actually beneficial for the ride systems as they are designed to be running for several hours a day, so there may in fact be more operational hiccups on opening (though you’d expect at least a few weeks of checks and daily running of these things in the lead up to parks re-opening).

Good video updating on how things are working at Shanghai. There's no distancing at outside tables anymore. Queue distancing falls apart when lines extend far beyond the attractions too (as you see with Pirates here). I can't believe they are still doing parades. 😬 It's clear they can really only enforce distancing in queues and in restaurants.

15 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

The virtual queue at Volcano Bay was probably the best implementation of any of the systems I saw on our last trip.  I liked that you actually had to tap into a line, as opposed to booking things 6 months in advance

How were the waits when you went? I know there have been complaints when they first opened or when it is busy that the virtual wait times were hours long, and then when your “time” came there was still another lengthy line to wait in and there wasn’t much to do while waiting (I think the collection of “Ride Now” rides can fluctuate). 

I quite liked MaxPass at Disneyland. It is essentially the same as the original FastPass system, but since you are booking on your phone, you don’t have to run around the park getting FastPasses. It also allows you to see all current available FastPass times in the park, so you can “shop” for the best option.

This allows you to still be somewhat spontaneous as you can’t book things months in advance. The only disadvantage is that FastPasses for popular rides can run out quickly, and if you start your day late, it may not be worth the extra cost. 

I understand the reason for the “book in advance” system to “guarantee” your most wanted experiences, but I also see how this takes away from the “Magic” of a Disney trip too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Have they kept prince and princess characters visible in Shanghai or are they just sticking with the fully costumed ones like Mickey, Chip n Dale...etc?

They have made appearances unmasked, but from a distance and no meet and greets.

Rise of the Resistance is a very good question. My guess would be that they are masked, and work it into the story. The First Order guards can blame the spies that have been caught for possibly bringing something on board. The social distancing markers could very easily be explained as keeping things in “order”.

The shuttle that gets caught could be a bit of an issue though. 

36 minutes ago, Graeme said:

The shuttle that gets caught could be a bit of an issue though. 

The cell they put you in afterwards even more so! 

Mostly posting this for the rides that have been added to Virtual Queue. 

There is some info in Volcano Bay guidelines and restrictions too. 

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

The cell they put you in afterwards even more so! 

I feel like they could split you up into 2 parties, and have one stand in the back and one in the front and then move them into the load area individually. Since you don’t have to distance from your family, there only needs to be a single 6ish feet gap. 

The Shuttle seems like it may be harder to control this, and if you have too few people, it could seriously hurt capacity. 

We will see. 

20 hours ago, Graeme said:

How were the waits when you went? I know there have been complaints when they first opened or when it is busy that the virtual wait times were hours long, and then when your “time” came there was still another lengthy line to wait in and there wasn’t much to do while waiting (I think the collection of “Ride Now” rides can fluctuate). 

Really short, so definitely not typical.  We had the nicest day of the week we were there in early February (I think they'd had the waterpark closed the previous week), so it was probably the best situation you could have hoped for.  We did that aqua coaster 5 or 6 times, and at least 3 of those were "ride now".  I think there were actually only two things that we actually had to tap into and wait for vs just being able to wait in line.  If any of those waits had been several hours, it would have killed the day for sure. 

Disney want to re-open Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom on July 11th, with Epcot and Hollywood Studios following on the 15th (there will be cast member test runs in the days/weeks leading up to those dates). It would appear they intend for hotels and water parks to remain closed.

All the safety measures you'd expect (face masks, temperature checks, emphasis on cashless payment, added hand sanitisation and cleaning, distancing...etc), plus:

• Entry reservations required (as per Shanghai)
  • Reduced park, attraction and transport capacity
  • Parades and firework shows suspended
  • Meet & greets and play areas suspended
  • Increase in number of quick service locations offering mobile order
  • Plexiglass at retail counters 

July 11 is the date that Disney is targeting for reopening. 

https://www.micechat.com/260506-breaking-news-walt-disney-world-picks-reopening-date/

This will give Universal over a month open while Disney remains closed, but could allow Disney to see what is and isn’t working. 

The logistics of Disney’s property is also much greater and may require more planning. 

17 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Disney want to re-open Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom on July 11th, with Epcot and Hollywood Studios following on the 15th (there will be cast member test runs in the days/weeks leading up to those dates). It would appear they intend for hotels and water parks to remain closed.

All the safety measures you'd expect (face masks, temperature checks, emphasis on cashless payment, added hand sanitisation and cleaning, distancing...etc), plus:

• Entry reservations required (as per Shanghai)
  • Reduced park, attraction and transport capacity
  • Parades and firework shows suspended
  • Meet & greets and play areas suspended
  • Increase in number of quick service locations offering mobile order
  • Plexiglass at retail counters 

The Parks blog has additional details not mentioned in proposal draft I culled the above details from:

At this time, we are temporarily pausing new ticket sales and Disney Resort hotel reservations so we can focus on guests with existing tickets and reservations (Disney Vacation Club members can still make new reservations). Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold; we’ll be reaching out to these guests soon to provide additional details. We will resume new ticket sales and hotel reservations after that period of time.

Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon.

Additionally, Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World will reopen to members and guests and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen on June 22. Disney Vacation Club resorts in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will also open to members and guests starting on June 15. Plans to support required physical distancing as well as enhanced cleaning measures, along with a number of other safety and cleanliness protocols, will be implemented as part of this planned phased reopening. 

So DVC resorts and Fort Wilderness will be operational. As far as their "focus on guests with existing tickets and reservations" is concerned, does that imply existing booking for even non DVC hotels will be honoured and those locations will be operational exclusively for existing bookings, or will those guests be upgraded to the resorts with DVC?