LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

On 5/24/2020 at 5:15 PM, Graeme said:

Rise of the Resistance is a very good question. My guess would be that they are masked, and work it into the story. The First Order guards can blame the spies that have been caught for possibly bringing something on board. The social distancing markers could very easily be explained as keeping things in “order”.

Not saying this will carry over onto the ride itself, but I was skimming through a ResortTV1 video shot at Disney Springs yesterday and interestingly they had stormtroopers on a balcony, and not only were they “ordering” people keep smiling and have a good time, they engaged in humorous dialogue (“resistance wouldn’t dare show their faces here!” — “.... ? .... NO ONE is showing their faces here!”).

I don’t think they’ve ever spoken like that on patrol in videos I have seen from Galaxy’s Edge before where they seem to adopt a generic authoritarian persona. They should switch to this permanently as it’s so much more entertaining and reminded me of the stormtroopers in the last episode of Mandalorian. I'd been wondering if one of the shortcomings of the land was that it took itself a little too seriously.

My other take away from the video is that outside of queues you can pretty much forget about strict adherence to social distancing. People are brushing past each other constantly and standing closer than 6ft to other people in retail spaces. No real shock given the logistics involved in permanently keeping people apart, and we’d seen similar behaviour in Shanghai videos (though I expect it to be even more carefree in WDW parks),

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Super Nintendo World at Universal Japan is almost finished:

Wow, that looks incredible. I thought it was a picture of a model before I realized it was an aerial photo. 

• Like 1

I'm trying t work out how much of the Mario Kart facade will translate to Hollywood.

IMG_2483.jpg

Top left in this old Hollywood construction image appears to be the structure in the lower left in Japan, but I wonder what it is exactly. It has ice/snow level theming in Japan.

96141681_241288430284133_250668501711962

It's an awful lot of space to take up if it's queue pre-show for Mario Kart (besides, the ride entrance is presumably through the Bowser Castle). 

Here's the model (it's remarkable how closely it resembles the real thing):

Nintendo-Model-Wide-crop-main-690x460.jp

Retail? Dining? Those mushrooms are sheltering a dining area. 

I also wonder if in Hollywood they will make use of the space in front of the Mario Kart show building that is occupied by part of the Yoshi ride in Japan for some retail and dining space as well. In fact, on the model you can see those yellow and red shapes to the side of Mario Kart and if you zoom there is actually a sign that says 'Mario...' something

Nintendo-Model-Close.jpg

It's probably the Mario Kart ride exit and gift shop? Looks like Mario is holding up a tyre above the sign. There'd still be a big chunk of the Mario Kart building to cover up with something other than Yoshi in Hollywood though.

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/rumors/leaked-model-photos-show-off-super-nintendo-world-for-universal-parks/

Universal Japan is going to commence staggered re-opening from the 8th for designated guests from the Osaka prefecture. It will then open up to visitors from more prefectures from the 19th. Temperature tests, masks....etc will be required.

No mention of when Super Nintendo Land will open. 

So it's looking like pre-shows for attractions at Universal are all cut from the ride experience. You just walk on through those areas on the Potter rides...etc. One has to assume Disney will do something similar then? So no stretching room in the Mansion, perhaps no holding cell on Resistance? The transport ship part of Resistance seems difficult to cut though as I don't know how they can get around that illusion of you boarding through one door at one location, then exiting through the same door at a completely different location. I guess they would just reduce the capacity for that sequence of the ride.

It will be interesting to see how busy it gets once they re-open to the public (yesterday was annual passholders, vloggers...etc), so after the initial days things may settle as happened with Disney Springs and Citywalk. Apparently things had eased quite well later in the day yesterday, with more people leaving than arriving.

Interestingly even roam around characters like The Blues Brothers are masked at Universal. I thought perhaps that was part of a gag, but all the human characters in the Potter areas like the wand shop are masked, even the Scooby Doo gang (save for Scoob, obviously). So that's different to what Disney did in shanghai where they keep their prince and princess performers unmasked, but at a significant distance from the public. 

Cedar Fair and KI are suing the state of Ohio to reopen.  I can't blame them either because absolutely none of the entertainment businesses that the state is letting open has 360 acres to spread people out across.  As a matter of fact, half of the business-types opening only succeed because they cram large amounts of people into smaller spaces.  KI, at least, has so much open space and multiple paths available to get around.  I get trepidation, but they've already announced measures as good as any, lower attendance, reservations ahead of time, lower ride capacity, etc.  

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Cedar Fair and KI are suing the state of Ohio to reopen.  I can't blame them either because absolutely none of the entertainment businesses that the state is letting open has 360 acres to spread people out across.  As a matter of fact, half of the business-types opening only succeed because they cram large amounts of people into smaller spaces.  KI, at least, has so much open space and multiple paths available to get around.  I get trepidation, but they've already announced measures as good as any, lower attendance, reservations ahead of time, lower ride capacity, etc.  

... and the state relented under extreme pressure. Opens June 19. 

4 hours ago, Graeme said:

Seems like the crowds are pretty light a Universal today. 

It’ll be interesting to see how the weekend goes. It’s going to be locals only for a long time I think. I certainly don’t see international guests flocking to Orlando any time soon (if at all this year). 

On 6/5/2020 at 5:54 PM, Angry the Clown said:

It’ll be interesting to see how the weekend goes. It’s going to be locals only for a long time I think. I certainly don’t see international guests flocking to Orlando any time soon (if at all this year). 

Given the travel restrictions that are already in place, the cost, and the fact that they're limiting admission and cutting certain activities (without lowering prices)?  I can't see making a trip like that to be a good bet. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Given the travel restrictions that are already in place, the cost, and the fact that they're limiting admission and cutting certain activities (without lowering prices)?  I can't see making a trip like that to be a good bet. 

Indeed. I’d imagine both Universal and Disney will have written off fiscal projections that stretch well into 2021 until both resorts see a recovery and switch back to normal attendance.

It’s sad to see Universal’s 30th Anniversary  this week forced to be a non event beyond some retro merchandise. WDW’s 50th should go OK if we assume it will start in October of 2021 and run through to October of 2022 (which would lead immediately EPCOT’s 40th), though how many park improvement and celebration plans that were targeting the 50th will now be scaled back remains to be seen.

Fascinating see the Jurassic Park coaster construction (you actually see them fitting track pieces together in this video):

It’s a shame it goes right by the exterior Potter dining area. That always looked to be a favourite area for people wanting a bit of peace and quiet in videos I’d seen in the past.

More Nintendo World images:

I wonder how well the colours can be maintained in consistently sunnier climates? How often do the Dr Seuss and Toon Lagoon areas of IOA need a re-paint? 

Given its proximity to Nintendo World, maybe it’s time to re-name the Waterworld stunt show in Japan to the Wave Race 64 Epic Stunt Spectacular.

It’s like seeing Toon Town on the other side of the wall in Who Framed Roger Rabbit. 

• Haha 1

https://www.micechat.com/260997-breaking-news-disneyland-announces-reopening-date/

Disneyland reopening on July 17 as was rumoured. 

Pending state and local government approvals, here’s the schedule of Disneyland Resort reopening:

• Downtown Disney – Opens July 9
  • Disneyland and California Adventure – July 17th (Disneyland’s 65th anniversary)
  • Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel  – reopen on July 23 (No mention of Disneyland Hotel)

Information to Note: 

• Park access will be limited via a theme park reservation system. All guests, including Passholders will need to obtain a reservation in advance. 
  • Theme park reservations will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon.
  • As they did in Florida, a temporary pause will be placed on new ticket sales and Annual Passport sales and renewals. Additional details will be available soon. 
  • Once approved, the Disneyland Resort will reopen with enhanced health and safety measures. In addition, a Guest Experience Team will be available throughout the parks and Downtown Disney District to assist guests with questions regarding these new policies.
  • Certain experiences that draw large group gatherings – such as parades and nighttime spectaculars – will return at a later date. While character meet and greets will be temporarily unavailable, characters will be in the parks in new ways to entertain and delight guests.
  • Downtown Disney District will begin reopening on July 9 in line with the state’s reopening guidelines, with its unique variety of shopping and dining experiences, including the flagship World of Disney store. With the health of guests and Disney cast members at the forefront of planning, several operational changes will be implemented based on guidance from health authorities to promote physical distancing and cleanliness throughout the Downtown Disney District.

The Bourne show at Universal has soft opened. Sounds quite promising. Are they bringing it to the theatre space in Hollywood where T2 used to be as well? I forget. Seems like the screen technology is similar to LED screens used on the Mandalorian and is apparently very effective at giving the illusion of set extensions. Doesn't sound as though Damon had any involvement which is a shame. 

Also apparently Disney have scrapped construction of their Reflections Lakeside Lodge resort. Can't say that's a huge loss if true. It looked really uninspiring. 

On the one hand it’s a shame Damon didn’t shoot anything, but on the other, if they’re having a Bourne stunt actor in the live action but I wonder how easy it is to do as well as T2 managed (and that wasn’t perfect) with hiding the transition to someone else. 

Julia Stiles appears to have done new stuff for the pre-show videos... which doesn't make a whole lot of sense (though I don't know where the show is supposed to fit into the timeline).