LCVG

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

I need to redeem a free month of D+ from Xbox before the offer expires (September I think). That's a good selection for the first five episodes. I can only assume Pirates will be an obligatory choice for the second wave of episodes. I wonder what the others might be though. It's a shame they'd never do episodes about rides that no longer exist. It's hard to imagine it being worthwhile focusing on anything from EPCOT outside of looking back to extinct attractions. 

26 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I wonder what the others might be though.

Small World, Hall of Presidents, and Monorail for sure. I’m pretty sure there’s an episode about the castle(s). Not sure about the last one but it could be Galaxy’s Edge/Rise of the Resistance (but that could be a part of Star Tours also). 

I guess Pirates if they’re doing Pirates. 

I watched Haunted Mansion. It’s good. A good mix of former and current imagineers, and they have actual cast members working on the attraction which I thought was a nice touch. 

It manages to cover the origins and history of the ride, details of the ride itself, the different versions of the ride, and some of the updates that have been made. 

It’s very much the same format as Toys That Made Us, but maybe a little less jokey…. although I watched a few minutes of Star Tours and there was a joke in there about Tomorrowland that made me laugh out loud.

I was a little worried that Tony Baxter wasn’t involved as he has some good stories about the Haunted Mansion (especially the Hat Box Ghost which is featured) and doesn’t show up, but thankfully he is in the Star Tours episode. 

Really? Because after half the Jungle Cruise one the constant Dad-jokes are doing my head in. I dread to think how I’d be with the Netflix shows, then. 

Still, there’s also a lot of good stuff, even if a lot of it feels like retreading the contents of the last Imagineering series. 

4 hours ago, iainl said:

Really? Because after half the Jungle Cruise one the constant Dad-jokes are doing my head in.

Is that not because Jungle Cruise is effectively Dad Jokes: The Ride?

Still, there’s also a lot of good stuff, even if a lot of it feels like retreading the contents of the last Imagineering series. 

I think that's part of the problem when they keep going back to the same key rides, all of "the untouchables" have been pretty well documented in some form or another. Disney have no genuine interest in their own history, particularly parks history, outside of the existing classics unless they think they can package it and make money of it somehow which is why it's such a crying shame they would never dare focus forty minutes on an extinct attraction.

Even something like Muppet Vision 3D, which is clinging on for dear life in Florida where I suspect execs are salivating at the thought of expanding Star Wars Land into that Muppets courtyard region of the park, would benefit immensely from a documentary as there must be a load of behind the scenes footage and photographs people have never seen, and as Henson's last completed Muppet project it absolutely deserves retrospective focus.

I watched all 5 last night. Star Tours was my favourite. It had the right balance of info and the humour I like in these. I think being able to splice in clips from the movies helped. 

There was a pretty long segment about Galaxy’s Edge in it, so I assume there won’t be more. 

I do agree there is quite a bit of crossover in content with the Imagineering Story, but there is also enough new to be worthwhile.

I look forward to the next 5. 

7 hours ago, Graeme said:

There was a pretty long segment about Galaxy’s Edge in it, so I assume there won’t be more. 

I think it's probably too new for them to want to do a deep dive into it, so doing a little here and there in The Imagineering Story and Behind the Attraction can basically serve as more of a PR function for the land and the rides. It's funny to think that it's a two year old land already but that with COVID restricting access to WDW, and Disneyland being closed for a year, so few people will have experienced any of it. 

Have you had any interest in getting the Art of Galaxy's Edge book? It's on my list to grab at some point. There seems to be quite a bit in there showing what was abandoned in the concept stages/dropped due to budget. I'm actually surprised they published it so soon rather than waiting until they could incorporate art for the hotel in there too, so I'm wondering whether to hold off to see if a second edition, or an edition sold exclusively at WDW, ever emerges.

71We9q1PdXL.jpg

Speaking of the hotel, it now has its own poster:

gst982375982750298340239842.jpg

And continuing the subject of books.

91vmt7Xs2aS.jpg

I'm looking forward to that. Tom K Morris hyped it up on Twitter this past week as one to look forward to. It's due to be released in October/November. I'm only seeing it listed as a softcover which is a shame. Eat Like Walt was a hardcover (I still need to get that).

I need to schedule some finances for another parks related book spending spree. The monorail book from last year is high on my list.

Did we ever discuss the added S.E.A references being dropped into the new Jungle Cruise queue at Disneyland?

That's the Society of Explorers and Adventurers that was conceived by Imagineering to tie backstories of various lands and attractions together when they were working on Disney Sea and has since seen references expand to almost every Disney park in one way or another. There was also talk of it being the basis of a Disney+ show that Ron Moore is supposed to be working on, but whether that's still happening I don't know. I hope so as it's such a neat idea, like a Disney League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I think it's the most brilliant story concept Imagineering has had (I probably love it as it reminds me of old Adventurers Club).

At WDW, something curious happened. There were boxes with the S.E.A logo stamped on them, but they have since been removed and now they only go so far as to have Hightower Industries imprints on boxes in the queue apparently (Harrison Hightower, of Tokyo Tower of Terror fame, is written to be a member of S.E.A). Kevin Lively said there are other new S.E.A references still to be found throughout though.

One of the characters on the pole trying to escape the Rhino's is also a S.E.A member.

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Did we ever discuss the added S.E.A references being dropped into the new Jungle Cruise queue at Disneyland?

I’m pretty sure we talked about it a bit when the changes were announced. But not since it’s reopened. Glad to SEA it made it. 

Avengers Campus in Paris seems to be taking on a similar aesthetic to the DCA version (not really surprising):

I forgot the Spider-man ride was getting cloned for Paris. I'm still curious to see how the Rock n' Rollercoaster re-theme to Iron Man turns out.

It was revealed recently in new concept art that Captain Marvel will feature in the Iron Man coaster:

E3jMJvKWQAgC_As-7809086.jpeg?w=1155&h=77

Speaking of coasters in Paris, it's probably too much to hope for, but I'd be so happy if Space Mountain was finally restored back to an earlier version, or a new version of the intended concept, with that damned Hyperspace Mountain overlay finally taken out for the Disneyland park's 30th Anniversary next year. I don't think they've announced a single thing in recognition of the 30th and it's less than a year away. 

8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I kind of want to see them carry this over to WDW just to see if they'd dare be so brazen.  The fallout would be spectacular.

I mean, if I could have paid $20 to get on ROTR, I would have done it (grudgingly), but that gets pricey fast.  At least with Universal's fastpass option you're paying once for an all-day pass, and they limit the numbers. 

15 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

I mean, if I could have paid $20 to get on ROTR, I would have done it (grudgingly), but that gets pricey fast.  At least with Universal's fastpass option you're paying once for an all-day pass, and they limit the numbers. 

Don't forget that would be $20 each for everyone in your party with this model being run in Paris. 

I should stress that I don't believe they will incorporate the exact same model as Paris in Florida. I just don't think they would dare.... though admittedly when I look at everything else they're uncharging for now there's a tiny part of me that thinks "maaaaybe?."  There's definitely some overhaul to Fastpass due in WDW though. Maybe they'll just copy over Maxpass from Disneyland.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I should stress that I don't believe they will incorporate the exact same model as Paris in Florida. I just don't think they would dare.... though admittedly when I look at everything else they're uncharging for now there's a tiny part of me that thinks "maaaaybe?."  There's definitely some overhaul to Fastpass due in WDW though. Maybe they'll just copy over Maxpass from Disneyland.

I don't really have any doubt that they will.  Anything they can do to separate people from their money...  Maybe they'll even tier them based on the attractions-an easy system would be to use letters (A through E might be easy to follow)?  Then offer a deal where you can buy books of those passes?  :)

There's just going to be more and more of this type of fuckery added to the parks until it actually impacts attendance, and it's not even close to that yet. 

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

There's just going to be more and more of this type of fuckery added to the parks until it actually impacts attendance, and it's not even close to that yet. 

Absolutely. Once COVID19 is truly behind us my feeling is that there's going to be at least two or three years of domestic and international holidaymakers who would have cancelled planned visits due to the pandemic finally making it out and flooding the parks, and even beyond that customer base it's hard to see where a tipping point might be. Can such a thing as Disney World truly avoid there being a tipping point for guest satisfaction? I worry the answer might actually be yes. 

I'd be really interested to know the percentage of repeat visitors to WDW. I'd imagine those of most value to Disney itself would be those who invest in the Vacation Club since they're literal investors in property on the land. It's really only something I think about as it's repeat guests who who have points of reference for how the quality of the rides, resorts and customer services has either increased or decreased over time. First time/one time guests only know what they witness at the time of their visit, so there's no bar for them to truly measure the value of their experience. They simply won't know about older magic hour perks, complimentary resort perks like the magical express or the shift away from classic Disney design ethics...etc that have either shifted in favour of the wealthiest visitors or fallen away entirely, and on that basis they must surely be Disney's favourite kind of customers.

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I should stress that I don't believe they will incorporate the exact same model as Paris in Florida. I just don't think they would dare....

They have actually been offering a version of this in Shanghai for over a year. There you buy a pack of passes to multiple rides that fit a theme. 

I wonder if in WDW they might offer a set number of FastPasses for free, and then charge if you want more. As it was, you could book 2 per day, and then once those are used, you could book more. Maybe they just take away that option?

There was an interesting point made on last week’s Disney Dish. Guest services had out FastPasses as make goods for a bad experience. If FastPass is even a partially paid for service, you are now placing a value on this, which you maybe can’t just hand out to anyone who complains. 

I can just about see the “How to get free FastPasses at Disney!” articles and YouTube videos now.