LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
powerslide376

Halo: First Strike

Anyone here read the HALO paperback novels (Halo: Fall of Reach, Halo: The Flood, Halo: First Strike)?

I finished the 3rd book last week and I must say it was a great piece of Sci-fi and truly ties in the game and the 3 books to make one complete coherent package. It also creates an amazing lead-up to Halo 2. This is what book/game tie-ins should be like (IMO).

First Strike is definately more action oriented then the first book, yet it delves deeper into the mysteries of the Covenant and their hatred for the humans, then the second book.

All in all, it also opens up some great doors for the second game. From possible

SPOILERS***************SPOLIERS******************SPOLIERS********

other Spartans being alive in the game, to how the Brutes will play a part in the covenant forces, even to Sargent Johnson being back in action! Not to mention the secrets and technology that Cortana now posseses, her seemingly slow move towards mental breakdown and how that may effect good ol' John -117.

Anyway, if you haven't read this book or any of the other HALO books, and are any bit a fan of the story, not just the game...I HIGHLY recommend them all. They are easy to read, keep your attention and really open up all sorts of possibilities in terms of story arcs.

happy holidays,

Powerslide376

I've also read both of the Halo books. Didn't realize that there was a 3rd one out now. Thanks for the info!!!!! :)

I also felt that the books, so far, have been excellent. I was even amazed at how interesting "The Flood" book was since I was pretty skeptical about being entertained by a book about the exact same storyline of the game Halo. But, it was!!!

There sure was alot of stuff that happened that we didn't get to see in the game Halo. Too bad Bungie couldn't put some of it in videos between mission. Would've made the games story even more deep.

I'll be picking the 3rd book up as soon as I can.

All Halo fans SHOULD read these books. Remember reading??? ;) It's still actually pretty entertaining, as long as the material is.

These books are so well written and VERY intelligently written as well, that any Halo fan will love all the extra info and insight into the Halo universe that you will get out of them.

Cool stuff...

Just a tidbit in regards to how well written and intelligent the books are...

eric nylund, the author of the first and third books has a bachelors degree in chemistry and a masters in chemical physics. So when he writes about some of the more 'techy' aspects of the universe it actually sounds like it would work:)

Just finished the book.

EXCELLENT!!!!

Unless Halo 2 is super long, I think with all the "Halo" history that's being dumped into these novels, there's no way it's all going to be resolved with Halo 2.

Which...would probably mean that Halo 3 would be a Xbox 2 launch title. :D

The timing, at this point, seems about right for that to happen.

I enjoyed the first two books, but wonder if I should hold off on reading the third? One of the most amazing things about playing Halo was when you were knocked on your ass by the appearance of the Flood. I wouldn't want to spoil any such surprises in Halo 2. Not reading the spoilers provided in the first post should I worry about this or do they still keep the story close to the vest?

Usually, a book series based on another medium has little to no influence on the original or its sequels. I assume the first two books are based on mythology established in Halo and Marathon, and the third will only take the story up to where Halo 2 begins. Unless the author of the third book is also writing the game story, I doubt there's much spoiler opportunity.

adamsappel is right, I'd say. I've read all three (and enjoyed them) and I can't really see that the book has any spoilers, unless someone doesn't have a clue what happens in Halo 2 - ie, the Covenant make it to earth, and Master Chief's got to kick some more ass ;)

The author, Eric Nylund, MUST be working in conjunction with Bungie, to some degree. There are a few things here in this latest novel that haven't been seen anywhere in Halo except in the little demo Bungie did of Halo 2 at E3: the Brute's. He's also written some more detail on the mysterious caste of aliens within the Covenant that are greatly religiously revered. Some sort of leader caste above the Elites. You can see pics of them on gamespots site.

Also, if you remember in the demo, you see our soldiers driving a Warthog and firing a plasm weapon from it's back instead of a chaingun. We supposedly don't have any plasma weaponry technology yet!! How can that be? Well, if you read the latest novel, you'll find out that we do, in fact, figure out how to control plasma.

For Nylund to write in detail about something that hasn't yet been revealed in a Halo game, but will be, would lead me to believe that he's working in conjunction with Bungie.

I would think that Bungie would NOT give these authors free reign to write whatever they want. There's no way Bungie would let them deviate from the Halo universe that they're creating, and write all sorts of off the wall shit.

Eveything in these 3 novels have been directly linked to all things Halo.

And, as already said, there are no real spoilers in the latest Halo novel.

Originally posted by Derrik Draven@Jan 15 2004, 03:11 PM

For Nylund to write in detail about something that hasn't yet been revealed in a Halo game, but will be, would lead me to believe that he's working in conjunction with Bungie.

I agree with this as well. If I had to guess, I'd say the authors are probably being given some sort of overall stories that Bungie has come up with (as I understand it, story is very important to them, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have outlines of a lot of the action?), and then they've worked together to come up with a book concept which is most likely subject to Bungie's overall approval. So it won't contradict anything in the games, but you don't have to read the books to figure things out either.

BTW, I think that's actually more of a rocket launcher instead of a plasma weapon mounted on the back of the Warthog. The plasma effects are the Wraiths & Ghosts taking damage from the hits. (Yes, I've watched the E3 demo video too many times ;) )

I just recently read all three books. If you're a fan of Halo (and even if you're not) these books are a great read. Hell, these books might make you like the videogame, if you don't already. The bad part is that it makes you want Halo 2 THAT much more.

My favorite was the first one, "The Fall of Reach." The book's basically about the origin of the Master Chief and how he came to be such a BAD ASS. BTW, he's a LOT more bad ass than the game led me to believe.

Anyway, I read somewhere that there will NOT be a Halo 3. Apparently, Bungie wants to rap everything up in Halo 2. I just wanted to know where you think the story's gonna go.

I think the only way the M.C. is gonna beat the Covenant is to hook up with 343 G.S., find some more "Flood" and deposit them on the Covenant homeworld. Even if it costs him his life.

I also think some kind of "time travel" will be a part of the story. Anyone notice how everything on Halo is "familiar" to the M.C.? Or when 343 asked him: "Last time you asked me: if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed." FYI, 343 was in charge of Halo for "101,217 local years."

Think I'm crazy? From the official Halo 2 FAQ:

Q What is the plot of Halo 2?

A The full story is a closely guarded secret but so far we can confirm that the Covenant forces will attack Earth, another Halo ring comes into play, and MC will take the battle to the Covenant. As with the first Halo, there will be a few new twists that you definitely won't expect.

Originally posted by A CLAN OF ONE+Jan 15 2004, 04:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A CLAN OF ONE @ Jan 15 2004, 04:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> there will NOT be a Halo 3 [/b]

I hope they've got Bungie on the case for a good launch title for Xbox 2 then. ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-A CLAN OF ONE@Jan 15 2004, 04:09 PM

I also think some kind of "time travel" will be a part of the story. Anyone notice how everything on Halo is "familiar" to the M.C.? Or when 343 asked him: "Last time you asked me: if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed." FYI, 343 was in charge of Halo for "101,217 local years."

I did notice that, as well as his comments about how wrong it would be to destroy the Pillar of Autumn and so destroy "all of our lost history".

On a side note, if MC does team up with Guilty Spark, I hope that along the way he gets to shoot the annoying little thing - "I am a genius" my ass. ;)

And given the (Possible Book Spoiler here)

freaky gravity crystal left by the Forerunners and the calendar discrepancies it apparently caused, I could definitely see some weird stuff happening time-wise as well.

I just wonder if the Forerunner themselves will play into it, especially after seeing the documentary film where a Bungie employee talks about more Forerruner installations floating around in gas giants.

Either way, still really looking forward to the game, not just for the gameplay, but the story too. Like Leo said, the books just make the wait that much harder.

he's a LOT more bad ass than the game led me to believe.

Are you referring to the marine test?

A group of marines (Helljumpers?) is tasked to provoke and attack the Master Chief. He ends up killing 1 or 2 of them and hospitalizing the other. It's referenced in The Flood.

With all these loose ends that need tying up, Halo 2 is either going to be one damn long game or, it's total bullshit that there won't be a Halo 3. Guess we'll all find out! :)

Personally, I just think that there is alot of info to use for making 4 halo games. Here's my idea:

Halo 2 - Covenant attacks the earth. Somehow write the game so that even with succesful missions with M.C., we still loose the planet. I mean hell, every damn "save the earth game" that comes out, we actually save the earth. Let's have it different this time. We loose mother earth. Covenant glasses it. So, in order to have some sort of humanity to exist, the Master Chief and, whomever is still alive...military and civilian, make for the nearest known Halo. I'd have Halo 3 start as we approach the new Halo.

Halo 3 (Xbox 2 launch title) - we land on the new halo. We're all that's left of the human race. The thousands or so, made up of military and civilian, now need this new halo to be our new earth. Of course the Covenant is hot on our tail so, we need to organize quickly. Scout the halo, find a good base of operations and batten down the hatches, so to speak, for the imminent Covenant invasion force. I'd have to story go that the Covenant sends in early strike teams. We have to do a guerilla style war against them. Realizing that we can't last a "war or attrition" against the Covenant, the only choice we really have is to power up the ring's defences, like almost happened in the original Halo. I'd design the game so that the one of the last missions would be a mad dash to the control room to fire up the defenses before an entire Covenant armada reaches the ring, whereby assuring our demise. During the course of the game, as we try to find this rings cartographer, to find the control room, we'd learn more about the forerunners, understand more of the Covenants past, and start to formulate a plan to finally end this human/Covenant war. As the game reaches it's conclusion, one Covenant destroyer would be able to make it inside the rings atmosphere before we fired up the rings defenses. As the rings weapon fires (a pulsewave of 25 million light years), the entire Covenant armada is destroyed except for the lone destroyer. I'd have the very last mission where M.C. and his boys would attack and take over control of the destroyer. Now we'd have access to their navagation computers and finally the exact coordinates of the Covenants main home world.

Halo 4 - We'd take the war to the Covenant home world with the captured destroyer.

I haven't worked out how I'd have the last installment of the Halo franchise take place.

Of course, none of this matters in the least since, I don't work for Bungie.

Just a fans daydreaming... :|