LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBardon

A thread about Lego

That NES will be mine if I can snag it. It’s hitting every nostalgia button at once.

That NES is a neat idea.  The scrolling on the TV is basically what I expected, and it looks like Mario is just on an arm that glides up and down the features on a round disc.  It looks like it's designed to keep from getting stuck.  I'm probably 50/50 on this one-I really like the idea, but I'm not sure where to put it right now.  It's also kind of an odd scale-it's not 1:1 on the console, but kind of the size of the NES mini?  The level of detail on the TV is pretty fantastic though-they even have inputs on the back of it. 

It might come down to how many of those pieces are printed vs stickers.  If Mario and the tiles are all printed, then that would probably push me over the edge on the price.  Still not going to get the other Mario playsets though.

Dammit, this is going to be another expensive Lego year.

So the official images sure look like most of those parts are printed...

71374_Lifestyle_build_crop.jpg

I'd bet that the cartridge is a sticker, as is the back of the TV, but probably printed for all the small tiles, which would be good. 

I wonder if they went as far as to make the channel knob click when you turn it, the way some of the Labo kits did? 

Another biggie: https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/grand-piano-21323

21323-1.jpg

$450 is pricey, but I an appreciate the mechanical bits of a set like this.  It says that the piano is "playable", but I think that just means that the keys move the hammers.  There's no actual strings, so unless they're using the Labo-style trickery with an IR sensor and the powered up app, I can't see how you'd get sound out of that.  It's also interesting that they're billing these bigger sets squarely at adults as a relaxing/meditative hands-on activity (which it is). 

I don't see myself picking this one up though.  It's cool, but there's enough other cool Lego this year...

Yeah, too rich for my blood (and not an NES for that matter), but if I had the space and money I’d be all over it.

I hope they realize that with the way things have been they can likely sell a lot more of these type of things and produce more. I’m still undecided on getting the NES, even though I love the design. 

I couldn’t say no to that design - I’m going to try and clear off a shelf on the bookcase to display it if we have one of appropriate size.

• Like 1

Ordered the NES, and the Mario starter set for my son, who wanted it for his room.  They're offering a Mario expansion as a GWP, so it'll go together, and we'll get to see how the mario-fig interacts with the NES.  It turns out that the NES is indeed almost all printed tiles, with the cart label and TV sticker being the only major exceptions.  This is good, because not only are stickers always difficult to get straight, but they don't tend to last very well.  I have some on the old Star Wars sets that are basically disintegrated from 15 years on display. 

Passed on the Piano and the Iron Man mosaic for now.  The Star Wars mosaics aren't showing as available until September, and I think I might start with one of them to see how they look.  Can also spread things out and get more freebies.  The only thing that's a little shitty there is that the instructions for the 3-up mosaics are only available as a download (i.e. not included in the printed manual in the box).  I'm sure printing that would have added pretty substantially to the weight of the box (which is why it's not there), but it might have been nice to be able to get a printed copy if I ordered 3 of the same set to be able to do the "ultimate" mural. 

As for availability, I'd expect that the NES will go out of stock this week, and then be back in stock reasonably regularly while it's in print.  You never know though-the Saturn V was notoriously difficult to get, and some of the ideas sets went away really quickly.  In general though, you've got months, but maybe not years before things disappear.

I really like the NES, and I understand that Lego is expensive, and that it’s a specialty piece, but logically I just can’t get past the fact that it is the same price as a PS4 and substantially more than an actual working NES (and CRT TV). 

It seems ludicrous that plastic bricks would cost more than a “State of the art” computer. 

35 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I really like the NES, and I understand that Lego is expensive, and that it’s a specialty piece, but logically I just can’t get past the fact that it is the same price as a PS4 and substantially more than an actual working NES (and CRT TV). 

It seems ludicrous that plastic bricks would cost more than a “State of the art” computer. 

star trek GIF

salt bae ban GIF

• Haha 2

Got the lunar lander built yesterday. Took about 3.5-4 hours or so. It’ll look good on the shelf under the Saturn V. 

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just finished watching the first season of Lego Masters AUS, and it's similar to the US show, but with some different challenges.  At the outset, I wasn't as impressed with the builds, but by the end, I think the winning team had the US winners beat with sculpting skill.  Some truly amazing stuff going on there.  Now I'm trying to find the UK versions somewhere...

I can't believe the Piano was sold out so soon... I even checked in the morning of Aug 1, with local store stock also gone within the first hour the shops opened up.

I think they underestimated the piano demand?

I was able to get the NES though.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

Just finished watching the first season of Lego Masters AUS, and it's similar to the US show, but with some different challenges.  At the outset, I wasn't as impressed with the builds, but by the end, I think the winning team had the US winners beat with sculpting skill.  Some truly amazing stuff going on there.  Now I'm trying to find the UK versions somewhere...

Is that on a specific channel or service?  Or are we just finding those through...alternative means?  I would so watch those. 

Just now, Eldorado said:

Is that on a specific channel or service?  Or are we just finding those through...alternative means?  I would so watch those. 

"Alternative means". I didn't know the AUS version was a thing either until right now and now I must catch up. Loved the US version, though it fell on 'reality competition tropes' at just the right moments to save the right people to annoy me. At those moments. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Yes, "alternative means" for the AUS one.  Haven't managed to find the UK series, but I'll check out the VPN solution. 

It looks like so far there are 2 seasons of the UK version, a just wrapped s2 AUS, and a non-english one in the Netherlands.  They're also starting one in Brazil apparently?