LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Orpheus

MoviePass / Cinema Season Passes

We already had this discussion on FB, but I used it quite frequently.  As it pertains to 3D and IMAX showings, I can use it to deduct the cost of a regular ticket and pay the difference out of my own pocket, if I wish.

Conversely, I have been able to use the Moviepass to buy more than one ticket to a screening.  For example, the AMC has $5 tickets for shows before noon, but Moviepass loads the cost of a regular ticket on my card when I check in ($11, I believe) so for those $5 shows, both my wife and I get in, gratis.  YMMV.

Wow - if you buy it for a year it's now $6.95 a month.  I'm going to give it a go.  It doesn't take long in my area for that to pay for itself.

Yep. I converted my plan a few days ago. Again, if you go to the movies twice a month, it pays for itself. I go so often, it just makes total sense.

I'm a little scared looking at the Android app reviews.  I'll keep my fingers crossed, but when a matinee costs around $12 here, I don't even have to go monthly for it to pay off.

I have to chuckle that I'm following up an old post expressing worry with this - MoviePass is apparently experiencing login issues today, and their 'help' suggests trying again later.  I'm sure glad I discovered this when I was just browsing times rather than being at the theater.  Yikes.

If the app is ever borked when you're at the theater, they will credit you the amount of a ticket if you end up having to buy it yourself.

It was always too good to last.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/07/02/media/moviepass-stock-debt-sale/index.html

Helios and Matheson (HMNY), parent company of the popular movie subscription service, told regulators Monday that it wants to sell that much in stock and debt securities.

MoviePass exploded in popularity because of its low price. For just $10 a month, about the cost of a single movie ticket in most places, MoviePass subscribers can see one movie a day.

But the company loses money when its customers use a pass, because it must pay theaters for the tickets.

Previous SEC filings revealed that the company was burning through an average of $21.7 million every month operating MoviePass. In May it blew through $40 million.

I generally support the idea of surge pricing, although I get why people feel negatively toward it.  I've been sold on the idea that, for example, if during a crisis a convenient store raises the price of water, that's actually a good thing.  Because it discourages people from just buying up all the water leaving none for anyone else.  If you increase the price based on demand, more people will get water.  That is totally academic, I have no idea if that is true.  Sounds good though.  Good for my uncle the convenient store owner I mean.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:57 PM, foogledricks said:

I generally support the idea of surge pricing, although I get why people feel negatively toward it.  I've been sold on the idea that, for example, if during a crisis a convenient store raises the price of water, that's actually a good thing.  Because it discourages people from just buying up all the water leaving none for anyone else.  If you increase the price based on demand, more people will get water.  That is totally academic, I have no idea if that is true.  Sounds good though.  Good for my uncle the convenient store owner I mean.

Congrats on outting yourself as a Trump-ette! Fuck the poor, survival of the fittest! Heyyy, it's all just basic economics. Close your eyes and cross your fingers, the economics will protect us all, well, as intended. Let's get back to our digital distractions now. 

1 hour ago, JTello said:

Congrats on outting yourself as a Trump-ette! Fuck the poor, survival of the fittest! Heyyy, it's all just basic economics. Close your eyes and cross your fingers, the economics will protect us all, well, as intended. Let's get back to our digital distractions now. 

I think your herpes have spread to what's left of your hypothalamus.  The human need for water is ridiculously over stated by fake media.  Especially during crisis situations and especially in poor people.

One thing I don't understand about public discourse / sentiment about the Moviepass meltdown is people being okay with it. Thinking, "Eh, I got my money's worth" isn't okay. This company burnt through millions of dollars and for what? We all saw this coming. This is how economies crumble. This is socks.com 2.0. Kozmo.com. Unsustainable crap.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:54 PM, foogledricks said:

I think your herpes have spread to what's left of your hypothalamus.  The human need for water is ridiculously over stated by fake media.  Especially during crisis situations and especially in poor people.

Who needs water when you’ve got Brawndo?

2 hours ago, JFo said:

Who needs water when you’ve got Brawndo?

Electrolytes, its what plants crave.

Price going up to $14.95 and first run movies showing at more than a 1,000 theaters will no longer be available for two weeks (like Mission Impossible this weekend).

The price increase doesn't bother me. Neither did the extra surcharge for popular movies and showtimes. I thought that was a pretty fair trade off.  With as often as I go to the theater, it was still worth it. Blocking off/limiting new release marquee films for two weeks? That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I canceled.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/moviepass-plans-to-raise-prices-limit-access-to-blockbuster-films-1533054157

The standard subscription price for MoviePass will increase to $14.95 a month from $9.95 within the next 30 days, said MoviePass’s majority owner, New York-based Helios & Matheson Analytics Inc., on Tuesday.

It also said last weekend’s cancellation of service for “Mission: Impossible — Fallout” during that film’s debut wouldn’t be a one-time event. The company plans to limit the availability of first-run movies opening on more than 1,000 screens during the first two weeks.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Price going up to $14.95 and first run movies showing at more than a 1,000 theaters will no longer be available for two weeks (like Mission Impossible this weekend).

The price increase doesn't bother me. Neither did the extra surcharge for popular movies and showtimes. I thought that was a pretty fair trade off.  With as often as I go to the theater, it was still worth it. Blocking off/limiting new release marquee films for two weeks? That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I canceled.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/moviepass-plans-to-raise-prices-limit-access-to-blockbuster-films-1533054157

It will be dead within two months, and that is probably being generous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Blocking off/limiting new release marquee films for two weeks? That's pretty much a deal breaker for me. I canceled.

Good call.  After two weeks, the marquee films are relegated to the smaller, poorer sound auditoriums, and wouldn't be the cinematic experience that those of use here look for.

Carlos.

• Like 1