LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Orpheus

MoviePass / Cinema Season Passes

It’s changed again! They are now selecting 6 movies each day that you can use Moviepass with. If they aren’t playing near you, or you don’t want to see any of them, it’s tough luck. People are also reporting that after 4 or 5pm, all available screenings are gone (presumably, they’ve used their allotments for the day).

Seems almost pointless at this point. I guess their plan to stop hemorrhaging money is to drive away anyone that actually wants to use the service. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

It’s changed again! They are now selecting 6 movies each day that you can use Moviepass with. If they aren’t playing near you, or you don’t want to see any of them, it’s tough luck. People are also reporting that after 4 or 5pm, all available screenings are gone (presumably, they’ve used their allotments for the day).

Seems almost pointless at this point. I guess their plan to stop hemorrhaging money is to drive away anyone that actually wants to use the service. 

Did they really ever have a plan? Yes, partly that question is pure snark...but also, I'm really curious how the founders there hoped this would play out.

31 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

Did they really ever have a plan? Yes, partly that question is pure snark...but also, I'm really curious how the founders there hoped this would play out.

Who knows? I’ve heard people speculate that once they got enough subscribers, they were probably hoping to sell off user data to advertisers and possibly theatres and studios. I’ve also heard they might have wanted to try and use that data to convince theatres to give them a cut of the box office since they are driving people to the theatres where they are buying more concessions (which is where they really make their money). 

Maybe they thought it would be like a Gym where they sign people up and then they never use it? Maybe they were just hoping for a buyout? 

I’m sure that once they’re dead, there will be a very interesting article written somewhere about all of this. 

Do no movie theatre chains in the US have their own monthly subscription service? It's been quite common in the UK with Odeon and Cineworld chains having offered such incentives successfully for years.

The AMC one just started recently and some smaller theatres and chains offer them, but it’s not as prevalent yet. Reserved seating is really just starting to be the norm, things are a bit behind here. 

If I were in the market for one of these services (assuming I lived in the US), the AMC one, to me, makes the most sense (assuming I lived near an AMC) even before all the recent changes to Moviepass. The ability to use it on 3D and Imax, reserve seats, and the better experience in purchasing tickets through the app would be more than worth the extra money. 

The only way I could get my money’s worth on these right now though would be if they provided babysitting as part of the deal. 

I really want to see the details about the in-testing Alamo Pass. That could save us a lot of money. We've got one renovated AMC near us, but I don't like their concession pricing at all, I'd rather go to the Alamo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graeme said:

The only way I could get my money’s worth on these right now though would be if they provided babysitting as part of the deal. 

Ain't that the truth!

On 8/17/2018 at 11:25 PM, dogbert said:

I really want to see the details about the in-testing Alamo Pass. That could save us a lot of money. We've got one renovated AMC near us, but I don't like their concession pricing at all, I'd rather go to the Alamo. 

I posted this on Facebook but wanted to share here as well:  though I haven’t used it yet, I did get into the Alamo Pass Beta (a few weeks ago) which is currently $14.99.  Movie reservations must be done via the iOS/Android app, not via your computer.  This price is good for any regularly priced 2D and 3D ticket but not for special events like Movie Parties, Feasts or other premium tickets. Pass can only be used once per day, be used to see one movie per day and cannot be used for movies more than 7 days in the future.  Victory Rewards will still be earned using the Alamo Pass.  IDs must be shown to be checked against name on the subscription.  If name doesn’t match, it can lead to subscription cancelation.   

Today, I received an email for their “Multi-Seat Subscription” plan for $13.99 per person, per month.  Good timing as daughter wants to go see The Nun.

• Like 1

That can't come to Austin fast enough ;) For me + kids, that'd be what we pay effectively for a movie at the alamo anyway. 

• Like 1

Finally canceled MoviePass when I joined the multi-seat subscription plan.  I’ve since seen The Nun and The Predator which means with the Alamo Pass, I’m 0 for 2.  :)

• Like 1

I pulled the plug for good on Moviepass over the weekend.  I went more than a week without being able to see anything using it.  Sad that it flamed out so badly.

If Alamo could bring their service to KC, I'd sign up for that, and maybe supplement with a small Sinemia subscription for things I want to see that aren't at AMC or Alamo.

• Like 1

Alamo Season Pass acquired :) $19.99 a month, and I went in for a second seat at $18.99. We were already planning on going to the movies twice this weekend, so it's paid off already for this month lol. 

• Like 1

I had heard that there were different Season Pass prices even within the same location. Someone at our nearest location (Yonkers), who signed up months after I did, got in for that same price. I got in at $14.99/month (13.99/second seat). Starting to wonder if mine will increase soon to match others. 

1 minute ago, Angel P said:

I had heard that there were different Season Pass prices even within the same location. Someone at our nearest location (Yonkers), who signed up months after I did, got in for that same price. I got in at $14.99/month (13.99/second seat). Starting to wonder if mine will increase soon to match others. 

Yeah, different pricing tests wouldn't surprise me at all. $15 is a bargain.

Heh. 

mG2YSCN.png

Alamo's clearly happy with this system, they've opened it up to anyone in Austin now, no longer "Beta", and I see lots of people using it. They clearly make their money on food/drinks anyway so bums in seats gets them more sales. 

• Like 1

Regal pass here. $21 a month and it’s watch what you want when you want and 10% off concessions. That’s in addition to their rewards program. 

I’ve been super happy with it.

6 hours ago, dogbert said:

Heh. 

mG2YSCN.png

Alamo's clearly happy with this system, they've opened it up to anyone in Austin now, no longer "Beta", and I see lots of people using it. They clearly make their money on food/drinks anyway so bums in seats gets them more sales. 

Welcome to the club!  :)

Still juggling both Alamo Season Pass and AMC A-List, and still getting my money's worth.

• Like 2