LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

PUBG (PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds) - (Xbox, PC and now PS4)

So after much exposure and interest in this game over the last year, I finally decided to jump in with both feet and I picked up the Xbox version after reading about yesterdays patch which improved performance substantially from the initial preview release. I'm playing on the X and after a 5.5GB install or so I played 3-4 matches last night. It's fun! It's also confusing, difficult to learn the weaponry and you're going to experience a ton of downtime as you make your way to other players. 

For those unaware, PUBG is a survival shooter. You and 99 other players are parachuted into a large map and are tasked to explore for weapons, armor, clothes and then well...survive. Be the last man standing and you win. You can play alone, with another player or even in a squad. As the time counts down, the player area is restricted by a storm and if you're caught outside of the regulated play area, you'll die in that storm (like I did yesterday lol!). 

There's still a ton of work to do on the Xbox version as shooting can still feel laggy and performance can drop when firing certain weapons. Gun play is also modeled to be pretty realistic as different weapons have varying recoil and damage modeling which you have to take into account when firing.

I have to say that even during downtime ,the possibility of running into another player who's looking to kill you is pretty exhilarating! I only got like 3 kills in the 3 matches I played but I lasted into the 20's and 30's each time. I tried parachuting into different areas of the map and part of the experience is learning the "hot spots". There's also flyovers that drop loot onto the map and zones that are bombarded are various time intervals. The game also has vehicles for traveling, etc.

Anyone else playing or interested? I'd absolutely LOVE to play this with others. I can imagine it being a ton of fun. The regular Xbox version of the game is a mess and the performance is nowhere near where it needs to be but if you have an X, it runs at 4K and supports HDR even in this early preview stage and as mentioned - post yesterdays patch performance isn't where it needs to be yet but its overall pretty solid.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

...so I played 304 matches last night. It's fun!

I'm just glad you stopped there as 305 matches would have been excessive. 

I think I'm mostly retired from gaming, but this is my favorite thing to watch on Twitch.  My palms get sweaty just watching.  

This is the kind of game I would always try to make in Halo customs, but most people were too impatient to play in a 1 death, you're out type match (and rightly so, because then they would have to wait after being eliminated, whereas in PUBG you just exit and go on to the next.)

Carlos.

24 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

I think I'm mostly retired from gaming, but this is my favorite thing to watch on Twitch.  My palms get sweaty just watching.  

This is the kind of game I would always try to make in Halo customs, but most people were too impatient to play in a 1 death, you're out type match (and rightly so, because then they would have to wait after being eliminated, whereas in PUBG you just exit and go on to the next.)

Carlos.

The nice part is that you maintain the rewards regardless. Its pretty no muss, no fuss in that way which I like! If I died at 98 and had to wait for 97 folks to bite it to get into the next match, I'd quit playing.:)

I have about 200 hours in on the PC version and have played about 30 matches on Xbox. Hands down, PUBG is my all time favorite multiplayer game. The Xbox version is better than I thought it would be, but still needs work. However, it is still fun as hell to play. I have several Top 5 finishes and one Chicken Dinner so far on Xbox. I have several Chicken Dinners on PC. If you see me on, just shoot me an invite. I am always down for Duos or Squads.

-Dean-

I’ve made it top ten a few times. Have one or two 5+ kill matches but I’m still not very good. It’s fun as hell though. Latest patch has again improved performance. If they can get the technical stuff ironed out, this will be rather amazing and I get why folks love it so. I hope the new desert map makes it over.

10 hours ago, GrumpyElf said:

Got my 1st solo win last night... this game really gets the heart racing.  Last minute or so of the game, with some enhanced sound effects :)

Congrats! I just got my 1st solo in Fortnite today. Let's both retire on top! :Cruise:

BTW, I lol'd at those sound effects. ☺️

NICE on Fortnite, I've only gotten to #4 a couple times.  I just can't build these massive castles like those guy do, I really just play it like a shooter.  I'm just terrible at the cover/build stuff!

14 hours ago, GrumpyElf said:

NICE on Fortnite, I've only gotten to #4 a couple times.  I just can't build these massive castles like those guy do, I really just play it like a shooter.  I'm just terrible at the cover/build stuff!

Ditto! I'm getting better at the building aspect, but really it's just an occasional diversion. I'm not a great builder, but I almost always make final 10, and quite frequently top 5. I'm doing something right, apparently.

In my top victory, the 2nd place guy had built his castle upon a house, and I managed to get into the house undetected, and with 10 players still left standing. I kept a low defensive profile, letting them take each other out. The plan went better than I anticipated, as we were the last two standing. I knew where he was, and he had no clue. I waited until the last possible moment, and exited the house. He'd also pushed the clock, and as I back away from the house (gun pointed back toward the house) we got locked in a gun fight with the storm overtaking him. Brilliant!

Tower Defense defeated by the Castle Crasher!😃

• Like 2

Surprised at how well the mobile version of this plays. On the iPad Pro it defaults to medium graphics and was smooth throughout my 1st few games.

Announced for the PS4.

Big question: How poorly will it run considering the X version still doesn't run particularly well.

This game is difficult! My bud and I played about 20 matches on Duos, and I got 1.5 kills. The .5 was when I downed a guy and instead of finishing him, tried to wait for his buddy to arrive to rez him.  Well, his buddy arrived and shot my face off. We agreed to call that a 1/2 kill.   My buddy is still looking for his first kill.  We are absolute garbage at the game, but man it is exhilarating, tense, and above all, fun.    I got panned on a bridge because my pal decided to drive right into the heart of an ambush while I still had a 3x scope equipped, and stopped 5 feet away from very experience players, who let me waste my ammo, then conked me to death with the pan.  I nearly died of laughter.  

It's also hilarious when we agree to drop into a certain spot, then my so-called "teammate" sees several additional chutes descending on the same spot, and, as he calls it, "tactically diverts" away, leaving me to fend for myself. 

We did get to the top 7 in our very first match, out of pure luck because we simply did not run into anyone until the field was pared down.  We got the "pacifist" achievement for getting to the top 10 with no kills.  

Carlos.

• Like 1