LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

The last of the Everdrives arrived today. It’ll get paired with my RetroUSB AVS.

73FC358D-29B0-4658-8F96-825D2A4CE40F.jpeg

1702C8A0-7695-44ED-A75D-7FE8013DB44A.jpeg

• Like 1

How can mass produced Pokemon games be so damn expensive? Trying to work out how best to get into the franchise, and a cart/case only Gameboy copy of Blue is around £14 which is OK, but boxed Heart Gold on DS for example is £40-50. I’m almost tempted to just buy a 2DS XL and eShop selections from the Pokemon catalogue that way.

I've got the ED64 Plus which is just an Everdrive ripoff. Looks like it even uses the same software according to reviews. I buy the games I truly want for the N64 and try out the games I missed when I was younger. Even let's me play NES games but I just use the Classic for those

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 6:35 PM, Angry the Clown said:

How can mass produced Pokemon games be so damn expensive? Trying to work out how best to get into the franchise, and a cart/case only Gameboy copy of Blue is around £14 which is OK, but boxed Heart Gold on DS for example is £40-50. I’m almost tempted to just buy a 2DS XL and eShop selections from the Pokemon catalogue that way.

People love them, and never get rid of them.

The brawler is freaking fantastic. I'll never use a standard N64 pad again. The analogue stick is just as sensitive and responsive and having the Z buttons act as shoulder triggers on both sides offers a ton of flexibility and comfort. The buttons are all high quality and the overall build is really nice. It's just comfy as hell to use and feels about 1000 times more natural than the boomerang design of the official controller. 

If I were to level a complaint its that the controller does feel a little lite but adding in the rumble pak solves that issue. Still, I might crack it open and see if there's a good place to fit a small weight or two on both sides to level things out. It's not necessary but I like to tinker.:)

Despite that, I can't recommend it enough. Between the Brawler 64, the modded N64 with proper RGB output and the Everdrive 64, I feel like I've got the ultimate N64 setup right now. Even moreso after figuring out that folks have patches out there that can be applied that will use the default Gameshark function to disable anti-aliasing in N64 games! It's not quite as big a difference as the de-blur functionality that resides in the Ultra HDMI mod but it it does make a noticeable difference in a few games I have tried it with including Doom 64 and Super Mario. It significantly removes some of the blur associated with N64 visuals. The best part is that the Everdrive auto loads APS and IPS patches so all you have to do is load all of the patches into the auto folder, enable the auto loading of the patch and it is applied whenever the game starts. No need to modify the ROM or input Gameshark codes! LOVE IT.

Last bit of news - I ordered up my DCHDMI kit today.:) I've already been in touch with a source who's going to do the mod for me for a good price but in less than a month, I will have a fully modded, HDMI enabled Dreamcast. If you don't know what the DCHDMI is, watch this:

• Like 1

I’ve been looking for this damned game forever. One of the last GC titles I wanted to add to my collection and I finally got it for $25.

C83FF44E-36D9-4630-924F-1CCCE062E239.jpeg

On 5/21/2019 at 6:16 PM, Romier S said:

The brawler is freaking fantastic. I'll never use a standard N64 pad again.

In hindsight, it's crazy this wasn't the official design. The only benefit the three pronged controller has over this is being able to use the two left handles, but what game ever utilized that?

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

The only benefit the three pronged controller has over this is being able to use the two left handles, but what game ever utilized that?

I’m sorry, but could you elaborate on what you mean by, “the two left handles”? I’m trying picture what you’re saying but can’t figure it out.

9 hours ago, JFo said:

I’m sorry, but could you elaborate on what you mean by, “the two left handles”? I’m trying picture what you’re saying but can’t figure it out.

Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

• Like 2

Another niche retro product video. This one is on the history of the XBand multiplayer modem for Genesis and SNES. 

This is is one of those things that I remember reading about and seeing ads for, and was really excited by it, but I don’t think it was ever released in Canada so I never really knew what happened with it. 

Not only did it come out, but apparently it worked well and had many features that are now staples of online services such as messaging, matchmaking, parental controls, tournaments and more. 

I was also shocked to learn that they made a version for Saturn, which was released in NA by Sega as the Netlink modem. I always thought that thing was vapourware. 

There is is a group that is trying to revive the XBand for the 16bit systems and get it working again over the internet. 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Another niche retro product video. This one is on the history of the XBand multiplayer modem for Genesis and SNES. 

This is is one of those things that I remember reading about and seeing ads for, and was really excited by it, but I don’t think it was ever released in Canada so I never really knew what happened with it. 

Not only did it come out, but apparently it worked well and had many features that are now staples of online services such as messaging, matchmaking, parental controls, tournaments and more. 

I was also shocked to learn that they made a version for Saturn, which was released in NA by Sega as the Netlink modem. I always thought that thing was vapourware.

There is is a group that is trying to revive the XBand for the 16bit systems and get it working again over the internet. 

Vapourware indeed...;)

49CBCD41-88CF-4895-A7DF-E427DE840D0E.jpeg

8428B5EE-6CDE-417F-B93C-A2B68FC4B26E.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

Man, let me tell you, this thing was legit at the time. This was truly my first experience with anything internet related. I don't think we had a computer yet, but I sure was using dial up to play Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat II online. I'm sure it was shit compared to today's standards, but I don't remember anything bad about performance. I think we screamed the first time it connected us with another live player. So funny 😂

The features you mention were well done for the time. I was messaging people I'd played with and we even somehow made a clan using additional profiles. 

We racked up some bills though and being young didn't fully grasp that concept. While the cheaper plan was limited to your local area, we lived in a rural area and I remember only 1 other person being online with it. You had to go with the Nationwide plan to really get the benefit. 

The one thing that confused me in the video was how you’d rack up long distance charges on your phone bill. Did it dial a local number and connect to a local server, and if you wanted to play someone across the country, it would have to call another server?

Or did it call the player after you got matched? (That didn’t seem to be the case in the video I saw). 

I would have loved this for the sports games. Even though I was getting into online gaming on PC around the time this came out, being able to play NHL with other people would ha e blown my mind. 

Like Cameron mentioned there was a local and national plan. Back then anything outside local area codes was long distance on phones. 

Some cool pick-ups today:

DC48427C-3E4F-400D-BDD8-E7FF8CDD9987.jpeg

00FE23A1-336A-4D13-9EBC-C96AA954C0F4.jpeg

67933371-B82C-4ECA-8C82-15C34087DE6A.jpeg

I already had Final Fantasy as a loose cart but I got a great price on this boxed copy with the map and all inserts in really wonderful condition. Robocop V Terminator is frankly better on the Genesis but again, I couldn’t say no to the (cool!) boxed copy.

Jungle Strike was a cheapie but always a fave along with Desert Strike which both looked better on the SNES.

I don't think I ever played that Robocop vs Terminator game, but I remember seeing that box on the shelf at Microplay when I was renting stuff there.  Always distinctive.

That's a nice copy of FF too-I think I still have the manual and map in mine (although they're kind of trashed), but that one even has the poster/ad insert.  The real test of "complete in box" though has to be the little piece of styrofoam that was at the bottom of the NES boxes, which was sometimes narrower in the case of games like Final Fantasy with oversized manuals.  Actually, come to think of it, why were NES boxes taller than the carts anyway?  I'd have to check, but I wonder if it was to make them closer to VHS tape height...

• Like 1

It’s Super Nintendo day! Only thing missing the manual on the boxed game front is Mario RPG and the guy at the store has an extra one at home he’s going to give to me for free for being a regular.:)

437D6B8C-0875-42F3-B92E-B1066A8A5FB8.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Not sure I ever knew that Star Trek TNG game existed.

There were many Trek games on older consoles, most not very good. That one was good on SNES, Genesis version had issues.