LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Retro Gaming bug

SNES controllers are so cheap Cam. I'm not sure its worth bothering to fix, frankly.

On the bad news front, the PVM came today. It did not make the journey unscathed. The picture tube itself separated from the bezel which likely means the plastic pieces that hold the screen in place on the bezel itself are busted. Poor packaging sucks! I tried to power on the monitor earlier and got nothing which was even more disappointing but after fiddling I was able to get the CRT connected properly to the neck board and voila, I have a working PVM!

I've already contacted the seller though and will be discussing outright return or a heavy discount allowing me to source a new bezel and completely swap it out and remount the screen (which is labor intensive but doable). I wouldn't mind knocking $100 bucks off the cost and keeping it (I will have paid $140 for the monitor when it was all said and done).

Despite this, I did sell off my extra OLED today and came across this bad boy:

s-l1600.jpg 

s-l1600.jpg 

s-l1600.jpg 

Only 16k hours logged on a 20+ year old BVM is incredible. You're luck to find units sub-30k hours. This is an 800 line screen as well but even higher quality as a broadcast video monitor Sony produced. I am driving to Maryland to pick it up tomorrow. There will be no shipping mishaps!

I did get a chance to play around with the 14M4U tonight and good christ, I'm a CRT convert. It's absolutely amazing that a nearly 25 year old 14in screen completely destroys $400 scalers and high end flat panels for retro games even up to the PS2/GC/Xbox era. 240p content is mind blowing enough but I put in Silent Hill 3 (which I'm playing through right now on my flat panel via the Framemeister) and good god. 480i belongs on a damned high end CRT. I can't get either the OSSC or even the vaunted FM (which is known for its amazing deinterlacing quality) to come anywhere near the PQ of this little monitor. I would post screenshots but they legit would do the unit no justice. Though I will post up a few 240p shots even if they also don't convey how utterly sharp and crisp this little units PQ is. Oh and did I mention the black levels? Goodness....

31872E20-323B-41F6-BFB2-505F72063724.jpeg

983781A3-DAF0-4312-B041-AE3EAA31724A.jpeg

840A5775-3332-407E-8510-18808CD94408.jpeg

E63E150B-A3E9-43BF-81C0-BB97309B9806.jpeg

If anything is readily apparent, its that both of these monitors will eventually be flipped for a 20in for sure. I have the seen the glory of high end CRT's and there can be no turning back.

• Like 1

Seems unlikely , but maybe one day everything will align where the CRT market is large enough and some company figures out a way to retrofit an old factory and we can get new CRTs again. 🤨

Might try and keep an eye out for one of these:

Also learned of the OfferUp app for the first time from this video. Ever use that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Might try and keep an eye out for one of these:

Also learned of the OfferUp app for the first time from this video. Ever use that?

The 310 is a ghost. I’ve been looking at multiple sources for it and have only seen one on offer in two years and that one was in Philly for stupid money. I have seen the set in person and it’s lovely but frankly it doesn’t touch a proper PVM/BVM in terms of crispness/sharpness just by nature of the limited lines of horizontal resolution (which usually maxes out at 400-450).

I “settled” for the FV300 which is the model right below the 310 and is practically identical except for the lack of the high voltage regulator for my “big” CRT and it produces a wonderful picture.. The regulator is why the 310 is so sought after as it eliminates bloom, color bleed and picture distortion which gives the set a more PVM/BVM look. However, the FV300 cost me $20 bucks while the FV310 will cost much much more and if you’re going to put real money towards a CRT spend it on a quality 800 line PVM/BVM. A 20M4U will run between $500-$700 while the top of the line Sony 20F1U 900 line BVM or the 20L5 PVM can run into the $900-$1200 range but they are also Multi-Format and can handle 480p, 720p and 1080i. The 14L5 is more common and can be had for $450. It’s a great little set!

I have two 14’ units and I *love* them but as I said, I want a good 20’ to settle down with. I honestly don’t know if I’d keep the FV300 at that point as 20’ is perfect size wise (smaller screen = better image, IMO) from my seating distance.

• Like 1

But them 36 inches tho.

(I still have my 36 WEGA from college sitting in the garage, but that's where it's going to have to stay because gravity.)

• Haha 2

Retro Fighters finally releasing their Dreamcast pad! The N64 Brawler they released is my go to controller for that system. I have a feeling I’ll be saying the same for this one...

That’s brilliant. Kind of hard for me to justify given the number of DC controllers already in my house, but it’s great to know it’s there. 

I haven’t done a good pickups post in awhile. This isn’t everything but it’s most of the major stuff.

934C1716-797D-4AAF-A946-09D1E8FA605A.jpeg

F4C70BFC-14B6-4750-9C30-98AE1630B991.jpeg

01D8780D-8E34-49BF-B06E-73D45C745194.jpeg

• Like 2

Dan Kunz is working on a solderless optical drive emulator for the GameCube. The GCLoader was recently released but requires some light soldering. With this one, if you can turn a screw, you can enjoy the entire GC library from a SD card with no need to put in your discs!

4 hours ago, JFo said:

So, wait, is this something you install in a PC or something?

No. You would remove the optical drive out of the Gamecube and replace it with the GCLoader. Plenty of users use a 3D printed cover to house the SD Card slot. Here’s a good install video of the current mod (which requires soldering) by the man himself:

Again, the exciting thing about this new version is it’s purely plug and play with the new connector input. No soldering needed! Though you still have to take the GC apart which is a pain. One of the more complicated consoles to disassemble and reassemble which I’ve done to clean mine.

Also the second half of this video shows off Swiss and how you can force 480p, etc. Gameboy Interface is fantastic, too. I use Swiss and GBI on my current GC.....