LCVG

The Retro Gaming bug

32 minutes ago, Graeme said:

There was so much crazy stuff in the 8bit/16bit days. Stuff keeps popping up in my YouTube feed that I never knew existed. 

What would you say the craziest or most obscure accessory you had was?

Mine was probably the UForce. It wasn’t great, but it worked 1000% better than the Power Glove did. It was especially good for Punch-Out.

I had to go look it up but I think this fits the bill. 

72341295-D2D9-4E30-ACE2-D8D13E89C6E1.png

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gutted the Retro setup and wire managed the fuck out it where I could. Those who have been to my place and checked out the setup knows that there was a rats nest of wires hanging behind the furniture.

To put a bow on the Virtual Boy collecting,  everything cased up nice and pretty like. I don't think I'm missing anything within reason (Jack Bros is not within reason, obv.) and besides, the Flashboy

So I won this on EBay for $200. It’s the 14L5 PVM. It’s multiformat so it can do up to 1080i. Specifically, it’s lovely for 480p titles. It’s bigger brother, the 20L5 is one of the most sought after P

Posted Images

I’ve been playing quite a bit of Mario Marker 2 on my Switch, which lead to a complete play through of Mario World, which has lead to a play through of Zelda 1.... which lead me to thinking that a little portable is fantastic for classic gaming as you can just pick it up and play for a bit when you have some spare time. 

While looking at options, I realized that I had a Vita sitting, doing absolutely nothing, so that has lead to me hacking the device and installing Retroarch on it. 

There was a bit of pain getting it going and Retroarch is also not the best, but I’ve got it set up with a bunch of NES and Genesis games (with SNES, GBA and some others to get on it as well). It’s a great little device for this purpose and I see it getting quite a bit of use. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I had to go look it up but I think this fits the bill. 

72341295-D2D9-4E30-ACE2-D8D13E89C6E1.png

The Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed that thing many years ago. He also noted that in addition to yelling “FIRE!” really loudly, it would also work if you yelled, “FUCK!”

• 2 weeks later...

GC Loader arrived today! It’s all installed in my second Gamecube. I have a 500gb SD Card on the way but in the interim, I loaded up a 32GB card with Swiss and Metroid Prime and all is working well. No more discs needed. I also bought the 3D printed SD Card extender/shell to replace the optical drive instead of having a big  empty space to GC Loader itself. Some install pics...

F4D9379E-C098-4EEB-A865-A722624A8462.jpeg

BE74F9E0-5ADB-4ECC-9C59-E25BC8A1B26D.jpeg

BFFA8DB7-282C-44B5-A80C-AE142DA377D0.jpeg

14EAB062-E625-43F7-A0F0-D52D783B4C0F.jpeg

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how are you keeping track of your retro purchases?  Spreadsheet, other program?  Do you have a list of games you’re tracking down or just going for as many as you can?  Sorry if you addressed this earlier in the thread.  

I’ve been known to order or come home with a movie i had already purchased many years ago so I now rely on an app.  Old age is a motherfucker!

4 minutes ago, Angel P said:

Out of curiosity, how are you keeping track of your retro purchases?  Spreadsheet, other program?  Do you have a list of games you’re tracking down or just going for as many as you can?  Sorry if you addressed this earlier in the thread.  

I’ve been known to order or come home with a movie i had already purchased many years ago so I now rely on an app.  Old age is a motherfucker!

CLZ Games app. I keep my collection up to date at all times.

...and I buy what I see and like and whatever I can get a deal on. Rarely is there a plan.:)

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Angel P said:

lol I use apps for everything I collect , because this happened a few times,

• Like 1

PSDigital install video! (HDMI out on the PSX) This is from the same folks behind the DCHDMI mod for the Dreamcast. They’ve got beta units out to installers right now and then the first batch orders goes up. Just waiting for orders to come up.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the lockdowns/virus situation has just made things worse but the professional CRT market is just exploding right now. As is the retro games market to be frank. I bought this monitor a few months back if you'll remember. It's the 20M4U and at the time I paid $800 for it which was the fair market price if a bit under as I've seen these go in the $860 to $1k range. Look at this insanity:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Hr-Trinitron-PVM-20M4U/164302514491?hash=item264131693b:g:PrAAAOSw-btfGNJt

Seriously considering selling mine. I mean at that price? Wow.

Look at this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panzer-Dragoon-Saga-Sega-Saturn-RARE-Complete-NEAR-MINT/143663339565?epid=5682&hash=item217300982d:g:SigAAOSwdrdfGFmU

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panzer-Dragoon-Saga-Sega-Saturn-1998-Complete-In-Box/124252895302?epid=5682&hash=item1cee0cb846:g:P5UAAOSw8n9fBjco

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burning-Rangers-FLAWLESS-DISC-Sega-Saturn-1998/303590162557?epid=4212&hash=item46af62407d:g:RIEAAOSw7ANe3ZFT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rule-of-Rose-Sony-PlayStation-2-US-Canada-version-in-Very-Good-Condition/133468744135?epid=53830379&hash=item1f135b69c7:g:ws4AAOSw44FfCflA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Haunting-Ground-Sony-PlayStation-2-2005-w-Manual-US-Version-TESTED/224079391369?epid=45186728&hash=item342c2c2a89:g:9hUAAOSwEHpfDNWN

For posterity, Panzer Saga was sitting at about $8-900 in February. 

Burning Rangers was at a little over $300.

Rule of Rose was in the $290-300 range last year. 

Haunting Ground was at $120. 

I remember buying Burning Rangers in a discount pin for $10 bucks at KB Toys when the Saturn was basically being discontinued. Haunting Ground I bought used and complete in Babbages for $14. Panzer I paid $60 bucks for before the retro market went nuts. Rule of Rose is the only one I spent actual money on when I bought last year for $290.

That's just a sample of the insane price inflation going on right now around retro gaming and the CRT market.

• Stunned 1

That's just crazy...  Maybe I should offload some of the retro stuff I have around?  Nothing super rare-I have a cart-only Earthbound (which looks like it's going for over $200 easily), and a bunch of NES/SNES games in various stages of completeness.  I'm still a little pissed that the manual for my FF3 is trashed, because otherwise the copy I have is pristine (I don't think the map was ever really opened for more than a cursory glance). 

@Romier S , how hard was your GC Loader PNP to install? Is it any harder than say, building a PC? I haven't been able to find a premodded GC for sale, and I want to do it but am hesitant for fear that I will screw up one of my Cubes.

Not that I can get my hands on a GC Loader right now anyway....

34 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

@Romier S , how hard was your GC Loader PNP to install? Is it any harder than say, building a PC? I haven't been able to find a premodded GC for sale, and I want to do it but am hesitant for fear that I will screw up one of my Cubes.

Not that I can get my hands on a GC Loader right now anyway....

Dead simple. Its plug and play. It's harder to take the GameCube apart than it is to do the install. If you want to hop on a Zoom call or something I can walk you through it.

The next round of GCLoader PNP stock will be this Sunday at 10am. Dan confirmed its the PNP version:

Just get things setup on his site here beforehand:

https://shop.dansprojects.com/

They will sell out quickly.

• Like 1

On another note, has anyone removed the clock capacitor from their OG Xbox, and any tips on doing so? I’ve got one in storage that’s probably a ticking time bomb if it hasn’t already gone off...

22 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

On another note, has anyone removed the clock capacitor from their OG Xbox, and any tips on doing so? I’ve got one in storage that’s probably a ticking time bomb if it hasn’t already gone off...

I popped it off by rocking it back and forth gently. I took a pair of small hand clippers and removed the excess solder and then cleaned the area with some 99% IPA. Haven't had an issue since.

I mean the "right" way to do it is to desolder it from the bottom but there are about a hundred damned screws holding the motherboard in place and that's just too much work for a simple capacitor removal, IMO.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Is this a dangerous thing or what?

The clock capacitor? Removing it isn't dangerous at all, no. 

Leaving it will invariably lead to the cap leaking all over the PCB and screwing up the Xbox. Microsoft used a cheapie ass capacitor there so it's best to remove it. Keep in mind that revision 1.6 motherboards don't have the cap so it doesn't need to be removed, obviously.