LCVG

The Retro Gaming bug

Romier S

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody help an LCVG brother out? I'm trying to figure out how to use Game Boy Interface (GBI) with my modded Gamecube. All the tutorials online on how to use GBI with Swiss confuse me. It seems like there are multiple boot.iso files, and I can't suss out where to put them all, how to configure them, etc. Does someone know of a simple, easy-to-follow tutorial out there, or can someone walk me through it like I'm a dummy? (Because in this case, I seem to be a bit of one.) Thanks!

You literally just throw the entire GBI download/extracted files (and DOL files) right into the root directory of the SD Card. Once you’re in Swiss, launch the version of GBI you want to run. The standard edition is the one you want to start with (the one called gbi.dol or something like that).

In terms of settings, there is a .cli file that is editable to make changes. You can see the options here:

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Standard_Edition

I would assume you have the GameBoy player attachment and are trying to run a GameBoy cart, correct?

29 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Yep.  Thanks. I'll give that a whirl. A lot of the online tutorials seemed to make it much more complicated, to the point that I was dissuaded from even trying it.

Yeah, its pretty straightforward and you'll get a pretty nice picture without having to do too much modifying of the settings right out of the gate. I had to do some minor updates to get the software to output Gameboy games at a proper 240p for use on a CRT/PVM. Even when going to a flat panel, I prefer the 240p output because I run it through the Framemeister/OSSC to upscale to 1080p on the FM or 5x scale on the OSSC. Though I rarely do any retro gaming on a flat panel anymore to be honest.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:48 PM, Brandon H said:

Pulled another turbolaser battery out of mothballs...

81B4570F-9ECA-4317-8ADE-A949FA07D1A6.thumb.jpeg.45c60ba204fbacf8f32c391cf1b79be3.jpeg

Hooked up via an Eon Super64 HDMI adapter into a Marseille mClassic upscaler.

By the way, I didn't see this until now but two things (and I mean no offense, just wanting to provide some help/direction😞

1. The Eon HDMI adapter is SUPER overpriced for what it does. Like ridiculously so. If its possible to return it/sell it, do so and buy this (when its in stock):

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/RAD2X-CABLES/SUPER-NINTENDO-PAL-GAMECUBE-N64-HD-RAD2X-HDMI-CABLE

If you ever get your N64 RGB modded (which is a very cheap mod),  that RAD2x will actually output proper RGB. The Eon will not.  Its locked to S-Video. The RAD cables are based on the RetroTink which is  a super scaler that will preserve an accurate image and introduces no lag in the process. The Eon isn't junk or anything but at $150? Yeah, it's not a great value.

To be entirely fair, the difference between S-Video and RGB for an N64 isn't huge either but when combined with the de-blur function of some of the mods out or using an Everdrive to run the Gameshark codes to turn off anti-aliasing in certain titles - you can get a much much better image from the N64.

2. The Rad2x already has a built in smoothing function if that is your thing. I believe the Eon does  the same. I'm not a big fan of the mClassic in general but I'm curious why its in the chain considering you're already getting smoothing functionality from the Eon? The N64 is already a smeary mess of an image so.....

Or ignore all of that as the ramblings of a man that is far far far too much into retro gaming and maximizing the picture quality of these old consoles.:)

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it’s probably too late to return the EON as I’ve had it for a long time. Just hadn’t been able to dig out the N64 to hook it up. I’ll definitely look at the Rad2x and an RGB mod though.

The mClassic is just there to scale to 1080p. That said... the N64 looks ... less than great on my 4K flat-panel. I’m going to experiment with turning it off and seeing if it makes any difference, positive or negative. FWIW, the EON’s smoothing was a minor improvement when engaged, at the cost of some blur, of course.

I’ve got a lot to learn about N64 retro scene. I hadn’t even contemplated an Everdrive and what that brings to the table, but I’m going to look into one now. 

Thanks for all the help — this retro scene is new to me but I am enjoying having my old consoles available to play again. I’ll get a lot more mileage out of my DC and GC, but I might as well hook them all up if I have the ability, right? 😉

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

The mClassic is just there to scale to 1080p. That said... the N64 looks ... less than great on my 4K flat-panel. I’m going to experiment with turning it off and seeing if it makes any difference, positive or negative. FWIW, the EON’s smoothing was a minor improvement when engaged, at the cost of some blur, of course.

I’ve got a lot to learn about N64 retro scene. I hadn’t even contemplated an Everdrive and what that brings to the table, but I’m going to look into one now. 

First lesson: The N64 has the worst fucking video output of any retro console...ever. It's a function of the games all having an awful anti-aliasing layer alongside a smeary ass bilinear filter engaged. That's not a bug, its a feature and the intended "look" of N64 games.

Outside of de-blur and removing the on by default anti-aliasing using the gameshark codes I mentioned, you're going to have to learn to live with it. Even with those things on, its still not anywhere near the sharpness and quality of say the original Playstation.

The good news is that the N64's  S-Video quality is generally very good and as I mentioned, the upgrade to RGB is somewhat marginal.  I would highly recommend looking into this:

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-pro

It gives you the ability to feed multiple consoles into it, it gives you digital output (HDMI) and it also has its own smoothing filter that works pretty well. (its what the Rad2x cables are based on). Its the "base" level line doubler I recommend to folks who don't want to go into the full crazy world of OSSC/FM. Honestly? I'm willing to bet your television would scale that 480p signal the Retrotink puts out far better than that mClassic cable ever would.

However, if you want 1080p and  the ability to scale multiple consoles -  the OSSC has dropped in price substantially at this point and can be had for roughly the same price (but it lacks S-Video):

https://videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-scan-converter/

That's a few options. The Framemeister is no longer in production and will cost you an arm and a leg so I won't even bother going over it.:)

If I'm giving it to you straight though, the best way to play an N64 is on a CRT.  The above options are all spending money to band-aid the reality that N64 looks like shit on a flat panel.

N64 Gameshark hack:

The nice part is that these codes/hacks can be loaded automatically via an Everdrive. I have the Everdrive 64 and have loaded all of the hacks for every game right onto the SD Card. It  automatically loads with the hack when I start the  game. Even on a CRT which benefits just as much from the hacks.

15 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Confession — I have never played a TurboGrafx console. Is this something I should be seeking to remedy? I feel a little ashamed to call myself a gamer.

It’s not a surprising admission. The PC Engine/TG16 was not the most well known console in the states and frankly, the TG16 library was limited as fuck. Whereas the PC Engine and it’s CD attachment/Duo release thrived in Japan and was hugely successful there with a much larger library of titles. It has an extremely underrated library that’s well worth diving into.

The Analogue Duo is a great starting point for that. Especially if there is a worthy jailbreak firmware for it as there has been for all Analogue devices. Being able to run Hucard roms and disc images for CD releases makes it an incredible value if they do indeed release jailbreak firmware that does both!

11 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Confession — I have never played a TurboGrafx console. Is this something I should be seeking to remedy? I feel a little ashamed to call myself a gamer.

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

It has its fans, but and it has some good games, but it’s not on the same level as the more popular consoles of the time.

I knew one guy growing up who’s favourite console was the Turboduo because of all the RPGs on it, so if you’re into Japanese RPGs, there could be something worth checking out. 

TBH though, I hardly played my TG16. 

6 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

It has its fans, but and it has some good games, but it’s not on the same level as the more popular consoles of the time.

I knew one guy growing up who’s favourite console was the Turboduo because of all the RPGs on it, so if you’re into Japanese RPGs, there could be something worth checking out. 

If you’re judging it by it’s US library, sure. No one judges the PC Engine by its US library for good reason.

If you loved good shooters, RPG’s and arcade conversions? The PC Engine/Duo has some top notch stuff well on par with its more popular peers.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

*cough*

Figures.  😂

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

You shouldn't. Without the familiarity from youth you don't get that sweet sweet nostalgia, and without the nostalgia TG16 isn't going to impress. (Duo might, but you're going to have to turn over a lot of rocks.)

But I could play Devil's Crush all day and not give a second's notice to the shit physics.

So one of the consequences of my 8 year old discovering gaming content on youtube has been endless compilations of videos about the best/worst of Nintendo.  Mario is the latest fixation, which has led to things like wanting to dig out copies of NSMB Wii, and last night, Paper Mario 1000 year door on Gamecube (in addition to all the stuff already on the switch).  He's also quite fond of repeating opinions like "the N64 is a bad console because of the controller", or facts like "Wart only appears in Super Mario 2 and Link's awakening".  Needless to say it's been interesting pulling out retro stuff and letting him play it with no context.  He doesn't actually have the patience to finish most of those games mind you (he'll get stuck in games like Origami King and most Zelda games because he skips most of the dialogue), but he's definitely been sampling stuff.  After the DQ Hero got added to Smash, he wanted to play DQ7 on the 3ds, which lasted about 20 minutes :)

Still, there are worse things than kids wanting to play retro games.  Now I just have to make sure he doesn't leave the gamecube on all night again-that thing never stops spinning.