LCVG

The Retro Gaming bug

Romier S

I'll have to post some pics of my son's, he's 11, collection of systems.  He doesn't have a lot of games, and has an awful habit of buying games/devices simply because they are retro, but he's got some sure fire classics too.  I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for crt's that are cheap, decent, and not 100 miles away.  

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

I'll have to post some pics of my son's, he's 11, collection of systems.  He doesn't have a lot of games, and has an awful habit of buying games/devices simply because they are retro, but he's got some sure fire classics too.  I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for crt's that are cheap, decent, and not 100 miles away.  

Facebook marketplace is a good resource for CRT’s. JVC D series sets are plentiful, cheap and absolutely superb. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a Retroid Pocket 2 recently and it arrived today. I had been using a Vita for this purpose but was frustrated getting it working how I wanted so I thought I’d give this a try. 

Haven’t done much with it yet as my first source of frustration is that you can’t apparently plug it into a PC and have it recognize the SD Card (it will recognize the internal memory). 

Unfortunately my PC doesn’t have a card reader, and while I do have an external one, it only has full sized SD and my only adapter appears to be broken. 

I did JUST buy a dongle that has microSD, but that is for my work Mac and is USB-C and I have no way of attaching it to my PC. 

No problem, for now I’ll just copy the ROMs to the internal memory and then copy those to the SD Card through the file manager (the Retroid has Android running on it) right? Nope, the file manager doesn’t recognize the SD either. 

Nothing is ever as easy as it should be. At least I got a few roms on the internal storage for now. 

I got the Gameboy coloured one. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I officially placed my order for the Terraonion MODE for my Sega Saturn along with a 1TB SSD to go along with it.

It should be here next week, hopefully! I’ll post pics of the installation when I do receive it. I’ll likely spring for a second one for my Dreamcast as well down the line but I’ve got some dollars reserved for the PS1Digital when Dan Kunz puts them up for sale next week.

That is very appealing since Saturn emulation is not really a thing and it doesn’t require any soldering. All these things are too expensive for me to justify though. I just about choked when I saw the price. 

I also have mixed feelings about dismantling my systems like that, but I would probably do this to my Saturn if I got something like this. 

49 minutes ago, Graeme said:

That is very appealing since Saturn emulation is not really a thing and it doesn’t require and soldering. All these things are too expensive for me to justify though. I just about choked when I saw the price. 

I also have mixed feelings about dismantling my systems like that, but I would probably do this to my Saturn if I got something like this. 

A few points:

1. Saturn emulation has come a long way. Mednafen is actually pretty solid and you should look into it as its no longer in a state worth ignoring.

2. I own three Saturns so I don't mind taking it apart. I always like to have a "stock" console alongside any modded ones and the installation here is super simple. My only complaint is that the mount Stoneagegamer provided is a bit too far away from the power unit so the power cables are a bit "tight" and on the verge of being stretched. I may add longer wires to help with that but the connections are secure and I don't move my consoles. The other problem is that the SSD isn't secured other than via the SATA connection. I have some kapton tape on the way from Amazon which I'll use to secure it to the PCB so that its not jiggling on the MODE if I do happen to move things around. Other than that, it was a pretty uneventful installation.

3. The cost seems high until you add up the cost of actually collecting original games on the system.  The most sought after and "best" games on the system will trigger that choke reflex far more than the cost of the ODE. I, thankfully, kept most of my Saturn collection from back in the day so I own a lot of the heavy hitters but being able to play the superior version of Grandia in English via a patch or having arcade perfect ports of the Ghosts & Goblin series via the Japanese Capcom collections without paying $70 bucks for the disc are just two examples of how the value adds up pretty quickly. Especially considering these games are being played on original hardware just like inserting a disc and NOT emulation. Which means I can also play them on the array of CRT's I own via analog video without issue/major modification.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Saturn emulation has come a long way. Mednafen is actually pretty solid and you should look into it as its no longer in a state worth ignoring.

That’s good to know. I might check it out and see 

I own three Saturns

Of course you do :) (and I knew you would have at least 2). 

The most sought after and "best" games on the system will trigger that choke reflex far more than the cost of the ODE.

For sure, which is why I don’t buy those either. To be fair, I have the same reaction just about anytime I look up anything to do with Classic gaming whether it is games, cables, upscalers, everdrives, or Analogue’s FPGA systems. I’ll even get the same reaction when I look up a pretty common 360 game that I think would be $5-10 and find out it’s selling for $30-40. 

In this case though 182 euros ($280 Canadian) seemed quite a bit more than I expected. 

I understand that these are niche products with a smallish market that do take quite a bit of R&D and are usually labors of love. I wish I could justify spending my money on these types of things, but I just can’t. Certainly no knock against those that can and certainly not me complaining about the companies that are selling these things. 

On 1/28/2021 at 2:58 PM, Graeme said:

For sure, which is why I don’t buy those either. To be fair, I have the same reaction just about anytime I look up anything to do with Classic gaming whether it is games, cables, upscalers, everdrives, or Analogue’s FPGA systems. I’ll even get the same reaction when I look up a pretty common 360 game that I think would be $5-10 and find out it’s selling for $30-40. 

In this case though 182 euros ($280 Canadian) seemed quite a bit more than I expected. 

I understand that these are niche products with a smallish market that do take quite a bit of R&D and are usually labors of love. I wish I could justify spending my money on these types of things, but I just can’t. Certainly no knock against those that can and certainly not me complaining about the companies that are selling these things. 

Yeah, retro gaming is not cheap by any measure and its only gotten worse in recent years. I have games that I bought for relatively low prices just in the last two years that have just skyrocketed in the aftermarket. PVM/BVM's are utterly ridiculous for what amounts to 30-35 year old sets. I paid $800 for a 20M4U and I could turn around and sell it for $2K easy right now.

The only argument I would make otherwise is for the Analogue systems. I dislike their marketing tactics and they overcharge for shipping but the jailbreak firmware you get for those consoles make them an amazing value. You are essentially getting a perfectly reproduced unit via FPGA and a relatively fully featured Everdrive in one package. Considering their products are now more reasonably priced at $199 - that's a ton of value for the money you spend.

Also, Mike Chi's line of Retrotink products have helped bring down the price ceiling on quality upscalers/line doublers.

I watched that earlier and it’s the first time I saw the power board for the Saturn from Mobius. I ordered one today as it’s the perfect solution for the wires being a bit too cramped for my installation. 

I plan to order a second Mode for my HDMI modded Dreamcast at the end of the month along with another SSD.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been watching a lot of retro game videos on YouTube recently (mostly Jeremy Perish’s NES AND SNES Works series) and I’ve come to realize something. 

My regard for the NES is high, I loved it as a kid and was totally one of the “Nintendo” kids. But looking back on it, my fondness for it now isn’t quite what I’d expect it to be, and besides Mario, Punch Out and Battletoads, I have a hard time pointing to other games as favourites and games If like to revisit. 

I now think, this is because I was playing the wrong games. I played Mario, but never really played the Zeldas, or Metroid, Castlevanias, only a bit of Contra, no Blaster Master, and barely touched any of the Mega Mans or any other of Capcoms platformers. 

What have I done with my life?

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

I now think, this is because I was playing the wrong games. I played Mario, but never really played the Zeldas, or Metroid, Castlevanias, only a bit of Contra, no Blaster Master, and barely touched any of the Mega Mans or any other of Capcoms platformers. 

What have I done with my life?

I can’t answer that question, but I can ask you another. What were you playing back then? Shit like Super Pitfall and awful movie license games?