LCVG

The Retro Gaming bug

Romier S

I was just coming to post that. 

I just did the update a little bit ago and the auto-phase sampling for 480p is just fantastic. The improvement in image clarity is immediately noticeable. I've been replaying Billy Hatcher on the side and loaded it up and let out an audible "Whoah"...

It's an amazing product. I removed both the OSSC and the Framemeister out of my video chain, now. Outside of stuff like the OSSC Pro or the PixelFX Morph coming down the line, the 5x is just the best damned scaler on the market. Yeah, its not cheap but its utterly worth the money if you have a multiple retro console setup and don't want to have to fiddle with profiles and/or settings for hours. It just f'ing works.

TerraOnion announced their Super System HD Pro flash cart today. I'm glad I didn't buy the SSSD3 when I had the chance. This upgrade version has proper HDMI output at 720p, upgraded software including SuperGrafX support.

Now to see how it compares to the Analogue Duo. That will decide where my money goes. I could go buy a fairly cheap PC Engine and get access to the full library including all of the CD titles or wait for the Analogue and see how good the jailbreak is....tempting.

Retrotink5x got a new firmware update that includes 360p autophase modes for the GBI software you can access via Swiss on the Gamecube. It also includes more here:

https://www.retrotink.com/post/retrotink-5x-pro-firmware-updates

• Fixed some alignment problems in GBI 360p mode

• Added "240p" style scanlines to GBI content

• Fixed YPbPr detection glitch in version 1.28

• Cleaned up 480p cropping

• Added 360p support for the GBI. Possible output resolutions:

• 1080p (FILL): 6x integer scale with optimal sampling/autophase

• 1080p (OVER): 6.75 interpolated scaling to use the full vertical height of the display

• 1200p: 7x integer scale with optimal timing/autophase

• 1440p: 8x integer scale with optimal sampling/autophase

Grumpy disclaimer time! It's up to you to get GBI and 360p output from your Gamecube setup! We cannot provide support for the use of 3rd party equipment and there are simply too many variations for us to be able to keep up with.

We can confirm that a PAL GCN with a RGB SCART cable (use one designed for PAL consoles NOT NTSC) works as well as the official OEM component cables and the Insurrection Industries Carby with an external HDMI -> YPbPr converter box. The RGB approach seems to have some image quality issues, though, so we'd recommend a solution that uses the GC's digital AV port.

Unfortunately the Carby Component Cable does not work. The HD Retrovision on a PAL GCN also does not work. We do not know if a modded GCN works, but are told that it should.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally finished Bully (thanks, Xbox cloud saves and Series X backward compatibility) a few months ago. The graphics don’t hold up well at all, but that game still has a ton of charm and, for a Rockstar game, a surprising amount of heart. I would love for a remake/reboot/sequel to finally surface on modern consoles/PC.

How the hell did I miss the Amiga 500 Mini announcement last week?

71O1sNWGiLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Included games:

• Alien Breed 3D
  • Alien Breed SE'92
  • Arcade Pool
  • Another World
  • ATR: All-terrain Racing
  • Battle Chess
  • Cadaver
  • Cannon Fodder
  • Gods
  • Kick Off 2
  • Mego lo Mania
  • Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight
  • Pinball Dreams
  • Project-X SE'93
  • Qwak
  • Simon the Sorcerer
  • Slam-Tilt
  • Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
  • Super Cars II
  • SuperFrog
  • Super Stardust
  • The Chaos Engine
  • Worms: The Director's Cut
  • Zool: Ninja Of The 'nth Dimension

That's a really good lineup. Shame Sensible Soccer couldn't make it on there, and Batman was always going to be even more of an unrealistic expectation, but if you should be able to add those via.... options (it was possible on the C64 Mini I believe, which was also made by Retro Games). It'd be good to throw Elite, Populous, Ghostbusters II, Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 on there as well.

It’s a great lineup, and I was about to preorder one, but it’s the same bunch of people who have performed some of the worst IP trolling and dodgy retro stuff of recent times. Even if they deliver, I don’t want to give them money. 

https://boingboing.net/2019/11/18/horace-goes-copyright-striking.html

This is the same bloke behind the whole ZX Vega mess, if you remember that.