LCVG

Not-So-Super Mario

joshiajay

I always find these articles to be somewhat humorous because they all consider the GC to be this huge failure yet they don't mention that Nintendo is still making a profit off of it. Sure it's not near the amount of money they're making off of GBA or past consoles, but I would hardly consider it a failure.

Instead people seem to gloat about how successful how the XBOX is in terms of marketshare, but no one seems to point out that MS has yet to make a dime off of it. Every quarter MS's entertainment division has posted losess primarily due to the loss they take on the XBOX hardware and investments such as aquiring software companies and marketing and such. Any other company would've gone bankrupt by now but since it's MS it's considered a successful venture thus far.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Nintendo has always been secret of their plans for the future so I wouldn't count them out just yet. Just because Nintendo says they have no interest in online gaming doesn't mean they're not planning something for their next console. I have a feeling that as long as Nintendo makes profits from it's console sector they'll keep it alive.

True, but every quarter every division of Microsoft other than OS and Apps post a loss. Windows, Office and Visual Studio are pretty much the only profit-making products they have; everything else is to ensure the continuance of the market-share those three products maintain.

Not really a well-thought article if you ask me.

I mean, as Camp said, these are the world's oldest arguments. And frankly I find it hard to single out Nintendo as the only company being derivative. I mean, yet another stealth game, anybody?

I hate to be all pro-Nintendo, especially since the online thing is still a non-point.

BUT, they don't mention that the recent price drop sent sales into overdrive or anything like that.

"Then they rolled out a new version of Pac Man, which is about as old school as it gets, besides maybe Pong."

And how about THAT quote? That makes it sound like they didn't do anything with Pac-Man, and they did. So, there you go. At this point I think making articles about the GameCube failing is the safest video game news article in the world. It's like what they write when there isn't news.

I mean, the Cube has been in third place for a year now, we know already :P.

well, one thing to note is that even the GC is 3rd in terms of US sales, it's still second in overall world wide sales. With the recent sales surge of the GC in the US, Nintendo has cut the lead XBOX has on it by a considerable amount.

I agree with you about the Pac Man comment. Here Nintendo takes an old game and some how innovates it and reintroduces it back into the marketplace. While it maybe isn't as cool as bringing out a whole new game, you have to admit that it's the idea with Pac Man was quite impressive. It's probably the best GC/GBA connectivity idea out there at the moment.

Yes, I'm surprised that Nintendo is getting flak for reinventing a great game, and then giving it away. I doubt Pac-Man Vs. is spurring sales of R:Racing or I-Ninja, but it has become my recommended GameCube game that any- and everyone will enjoy. And that kind of enthusiastic word-of-mouth does sell systems.

Originally posted by danger9777@Dec 28 2003, 01:44 PM

I've heard you can get Pac Man Vs for free without buying anything. Has anyone done this or know how? I would be interested in getting it, but don't know where to look.

I've picked up a couple of copies just by asking for demo disks at the gamestore counter. They're only bundled with the Pac-Man World game.

The article did touch on one thing, that I've thought for a little while now, and that's Nintendo leaving the console market. Sure, Gamecube is making them money now, but who's to say GC2 will? Plus, I get the feeling that Nintendo wants to be #1 (who doesn't right?) and doesn't wanna be fighting the Xbox here for the #3 spot or #2 worldwide behind the PS2.

But they ARE #1 in the handheld market and will, IMO, stay there for a long time. The GBA has sold more than all three consoles combined and that's saying something. With the PSP on the horizon, they may have to put all their eggs in one basket and hope for the best.

I wouldn't at all be surprised (or disappointed) if the big N decided to call it quits and make the GC it's last console.

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Nintendo has said time and again that they will be releasing another console. They attribute the stellar performance of the PS2 since Sony was out a year ahead of them, which I would bet to be true. The next gen console war will truly be a war indeed with Sony, MS, and Nintendo releaing their consoles all at the same time. Now, if GC 2 doesn't do well, then I could see Nintendo leaving. But, they've already stated they will stay in the console business for at least one more generation, and personally I hope they can make it work because Nintendo designes a great hardware and has helped innovate console gaming each generation.

I wouldn't at all be surprised (or disappointed) if the big N decided to call it quits and make the GC it's last console.

I guess this point of view continues to shock me. Nintendo still puts out some of the best games on the market. Why would you not be disappointed if they stopped making them all together?

People just seem to think they'll go the Sega route. It's just a silly thought. This company just keeps on making money. They're not going anywhere at this point.

Glen

I agree Glen. Why would anyone want to see Nintendo get out of this industry? The industry has already been hurt with Sega now gone. Sure Sega now makes multiplatform games, but their innovation in videogames has gone way down hill since they've become a software only company. Even the few great innovative games they have made haven't sold all that well forcing Sega to stick with basic formulas rather than trying something new. When Sega had the DC they were trying new stypes of games left and right and it was just great to see them really taking strides at trying something new. I'd really hate to see Nintendo get out as I would expect the quality of their games to go down as well. Nintendo doesn't just help the industry with it's software, it has helped with it's hardware in a lot of ways. For instance, Nintendo was the first company to have 4 controller ports on a console. Now it's almost expected. Nintendo was the first company to introduce force feedback in console gaming. Nintendo as the first company to use the analog stick. Now, Nintendo has released what is considered by many to be the best wireless controller out on the market. And, while many people may not like the idea, the concept of GC/GBA connectivity was a unique idea to try and enhance games. If Nintendo were to leave the hardware business, it would be a sad sad day for videgamers everywhere.

Are we yet realizing the Sega route will be horrible (in the long term) for gaming? Sure, it's nice to have Panzer Dragoon Orta for the Xbox, but don't expect to see a sequel. And thanks to Sega's merger with Sammy, don't expect to see many console games at all. For some unfathomable-to-me reason, people think Nintendo will quit the console business and suddenly they'll be playing Mario and Link on their other system of choice. Maybe we'd see an F-Zero or Metroid Prime sequel (for the next-after-the-next-generation of consoles), but forget about the mascot characters. What is the animus towards Nintendo anyway? The console is so damn cheap, and if someone really thinks there are no exclusive games that they would enjoy playing, they need to find a new hobby.

Are we yet realizing the Sega route will be horrible (in the long term) for gaming?

Let me preface this by saying I am in no way an advocate of Nintendo exiting the hardware market. Yes they have made some mistakes in this generation but it would be a sad day to not have a Nintendo product to look forward too.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with the route that Sega chose. In fact Sega did what it needed to do to survive as a company. They simply made the wrong decisions once they went software only. People continue to use Sega as a barometer here when people need to stop and realize that Sega mismanaged thier intellectual properties and decided to go head to head with the biggest third party in the world in an arena that they have been dominating for years (EA Sports).

If Nintendo were to, in the future, decide to go third party, I would support them as I do today. I also believe that they would be cautious enough to not make the same mistakes that Sega made. In fact as noted we are not dealing with a company that is bleeding money here. If it were to happen I believe Nintendo would be a serious force to be reckoned with as a third party publisher/developer.

Sure, it's nice to have Panzer Dragoon Orta for the Xbox, but don't expect to see a sequel.

Which has what do with with the effects of moving towards a multiplatform stance? Do you think PDO would have been a success had Sega developed the game on the Dreamcast? If so I respectully disagree. As much as I would love to see a game like PDO break into the mass market (and Sega put forth some serious effort to try and make it so) it is in fact a niche title. Difficult to market on any next gen platform. If anything its commercial failure is just as much the fault of the general public for not giving something a little different a try. Much like the Dreamcast.....

This is not a problem I forsee Nintendo having if they move to a third party platform. Thier intellectual properties are known around the world and are among the most popular franchises available on any system. If the BigN were to make those titles available across various platforms, while maintaining the high quality they are known for (something I know they can and would do) I have no doubt they would succeed.

When Sega had the DC they were trying new stypes of games left and right and it was just great to see them really taking strides at trying something new.

An effort that the general public completely ignored as I already mentioned. Folks were too busy waiting for the Playstation 2 to release to worry about anything Sega was doing. The Dreamcast was an initial success in the US but Sony effectively killed any growth it might have had. Which brings me to...

They attribute the stellar performance of the PS2 since Sony was out a year ahead of them, which I would bet to be true.

Of course that goes without saying but I'll also say that if all three consoles had released at the same time this generation the Playstation 2 would still be leading the pack by a large margin. The combination of brand name and backwards compatability with the original PS1 games would have been enough of a selling point to shift the tide Sony's way. Gamers would have overlooked the drought of quality titles in anticipation of the key Playstation franchises they have come to know (Gran Turismo 3, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 etc.. etc..).

Also Nintendo's other key mistake this generation was launching the Gamecube sans a quality Mario title. I do believe the Gamecubes fortunes would be much different today had they done so.

Nintendo as the first company to use the analog stick.

Sorry that would be Sega. Lest we forget the analog control pad that came packaged in with Nights on the Saturn. Not taking away from the hardware innovations Nintendo has done but that needed corrected. ;)

The console is so damn cheap, and if someone really thinks there are no exclusive games that they would enjoy playing, they need to find a new hobby.

You've just hit the exact reason the Gamecube is not as commerically successful as it could be. It has a TON of first party exclusives that makes it more than worth the money to a hardcore gamer like myself and many others on this forum however it lacks key genre and third party support.

How many sports titles do you play on the Gamecube? Whether you enjoy sports games or not it is a genre that a system NEEDS to survive. In the world of third pary support, sure the Gamecube gets it fair share of multiplatform games but (and not to retread really stepped on ground here) they don't sell. Why would they?

Playstation gamers are getting exclusive online play out of many titles such as EA Sports and releases like Return of the King. Not too mention the greated third party support of them all with third pary exclusives coming out thier ears. Microsoft appeals to the home theater market and also has a slew of games that offer online play you cannot get on other systems like Rainbow Six 3 and Ghost Recon and Xbox Live is available to any developer out there who wants to create unique online experience. Not too mention a majority of the time the games sound and look better than the competitors.

What is the animus towards Nintendo anyway?

That I cannot answer. To be honest I don't understand it either. I really don't wish for ANY of these companies to close thier doors of fail in thier endeavors. Its seems trite to say but man we are currently just DROWNED in quality titles across all platforms including the Gamecube. Enjoy it I say! What happens will happen. Either way I'll still be buying Nintendo product. Be it new hardware or software developed on another platform.

Sorry bout that...you're absolutely right....Sega was the first with the Saturn. Almost forgot about that one ;)

I'm definitely a big Nintendo supporter and try and support them whenever a quality title is released. Hopefully Nintendo will listen to the gamers out there and take some more strides next generation in terms of innovative console gaming. I look forward to what Nintendo has in store for us in the future. Hopefully other people will too and help keep this company going strong in years to come.

Hopefully Nintendo will listen to the gamers out there and take some more strides next generation in terms of innovative console gaming. I look forward to what Nintendo has in store for us in the future. Hopefully other people will too and help keep this company going strong in years to come.

That I think we can all agree with.

From www.game-science.com

Nintendo // Latest details on Nintendo's new game machine

Here is the latest information we know on Nintendo's new game machine, collected from a number of sources, including recent articles.

- To be announced at E3 2004 in the US, next May

- Planned release at the end of 2004, possibly global

- Will stand alongside GC and GBA as a third main product

- Although not a direct successor to either the GBA or the GC, it will give some indication of the direction their successors will follow

- For some time it will be sold alongside the current machines

- It is a new type of game machine

- It will include wireless communication, built-in

- They have successfully made a test model

- It will enable players to experience a new kind of gaming, not dependent on high-spec technology

First things first. I like Nintendo, a lot! I'm not anti-Nintendo by any means.

My girlfriend bought me a GBA SP for Xmas and I'm falling in love with some older Nintendo titles again. Plus, SMB and Zelda on the NES are two of my favorite games of all time. Having said that, let me fan the flames...

Being a big fan of Nintendo, I just feel that the Gamecube has brought nothing to the table, at least not for me. MY biggest disappointment has to be Wind Waker. That game is the ONLY reason I bought a GC. I played it for a while and enjoyed it for the most part, but it got WAY too repetitive. Never finished it. Then there's Super Mario Sunshine (which came bundled) and THANK GOD I didn't pay for that crap. The Big N should be ashamed putting Mario in a game like that. I WANT good games I can enjoy, after all I did pay $160 for my GC, but the goods have not been delivered.

Then there's the whole online thing. I have such a blast playing Xbox Live, I'm not missing anything by not playing my dust-collecting GC.

BTW, here's what I said:

Last console. In other words, I NEED them to keep making games and other hardware (did I tell you I love my SP), but I don't give a HOT damn if they don't come out with another console.

I definitely need to talk about this:

if someone really thinks there are no exclusive games that they would enjoy playing, they need to find a new hobby.

Wow, my "fanboy alert" is going off the charts. So, Allen, what you're telling me is that if I don't enjoy playing an exclusive on my GC, I'm not worthy of playing videogames?

Never thought I'd see stuff like that in this forum... :(

So, Allen, what you're telling me is that if I don't enjoy playing an exclusive on my GC, I'm not worthy of playing videogames?

I think Allen is speaking more from a viewpoint of those that refuse to give Nintendo exlusives a try more than anything. Its pretty obvious that there are those that refuse to give Wind Waker or titles of its ilk a try for fairly mundane reasons and I think that comment was levelled more towards them than anything else. There is a very real contingent of people that for some ungodly reason WANT to see Nintendo fail and that viewpoint is sure to illicit some form of an emotional response.

If someone doesn't like Wind Waker, fine with me. If they hated Super Mario Sunshine, no worries. Think Metroid Prime's controls are screwed up, okay. Resident Evil a mere rehash, whatever. But when I hear people almost crowing for Nintendo to pack it in, and if someone claims there is NOT ONE game exclusive to Nintendo that is enjoyable, that gets my dander up. Hey, fuck exclusive, there are (surprisingly) plenty of third-party titles on the GC to keep one happily occupied for some time. Sometimes I think people must have purchased special GameCubes, with little knives in the controller handles that cut them at random intervals, to inspire such vitriol. We are all uber-gamers here, so my comments are intended to be critical of "other people's" attitudes. Still, dismissing the GameCube and its entire library as unworthy of play isn't what I expect from anyone who truly loves playing videogames. I'm always struck by candid comments from people in the videogame industry when they're asked what they are playing. They rattle off a list of all the great games, with no preference to any one console. I could dismiss the Xbox for its prevelance of FPS and PC-ports, but I'd be a jackass for ignoring titles like Deathrow, Buffy, GunValkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi... Am I a Nintendo fanboy? Yep. I'm an Xbox fanboy, too. Count me in for the PS2 as well. And I do loves my Dreamcast also. There's something to be said for (and against) every console.

Originally posted by A CLAN OF ONE@Dec 29 2003, 12:26 AM

Being a big fan of Nintendo, I just feel that the Gamecube has brought nothing to the table, at least not for me. I WANT good games I can enjoy, after all I did pay $160 for my GC, but the goods have not been delivered.

Now, I can understand if maybe current GC games don't interest you, but that's you. I'm sorry you're not happy with the console, but as far as I'm concerned it's the best of the current generation consoles. Metroid Prime I thought was a brilliant game and is now on my top 5 list of all time. Prime also won many "game of the year" awards from gaming sites/mags and won game of the year at the game developers conference.....so obviosuly some people feel like Nintendo is doing something right.....even other game companies.

Again, it stinks that you can't enjoy these games because obviously every gamer out there who buys a console expects to have fun with it. It seems as though your taste in games has changed and shifted towards other kinds of games.....and that's ok....there's nothing wrong with that. But, just because Nintendo isn't making games you enjoy doesn't mean they're not making great games. I love The Wind Waker and thought it was great. Again, this game is winning many "game of the year" awards this year, so it has appealed to many people out there. I'm also currently playing Mario Sunshine and so far I think it's pretty good. While it does have a few things in it I don't care for, I'm still having quite a bit of fun with it.

My point is that Nintendo IS making good games....but whether or not you enjoy them is another matter entirely. I think Nintendo has brought TONS to the table this generation, be it great software titles like Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, and Animal crossing, or whether it's great peripherals like the wavebird controller and the gameboy player. I think they've done a good job and look forward to their next console.

I'd just also like to note that I think all the consoles have done some great things this generation. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony have all come up with some great ideas to keep the momentum strong in the videogame world. It's a great time to be a gamer :)