LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Bond 25

Danny Boyle will apparently direct Bond 25.

“We are working on a script right now. And it all depends on that really. I am working on a Richard Curtis script at the moment. We hope to start shooting that in 6 or 7 weeks. Then Bond would be right at the end of the year. But we are working on them both right now.”

When I pushed Boyle for more details on “James Bond 25” he confirmed that John Hodge is currently expanding an idea the pair had for 007 into a script. Hodge and Boyle previously worked on “Shallow Grave,” “Trainspotting,” “A Life Less Ordinary,” “The Beach,” “Trance” and “T2 Trainspotting” together. 

“We’ve got an idea, John Hodge, the screenwriter, and I have got this idea, and John is writing it at the moment. And it all depends on how it turns out. It would be foolish of me to give any of it away.”

https://www.metro.us/entertainment/movies/danny-boyle-confirms-that-he-is-directing-james-bond-25

Boyle is now confirmed. Universal have also acquired international cinema and home video distribution rights to the film (MGM and Annapurna have domestic. MGM will also retain global digital rights for streaming). They start filming in December for a Nov 2019 release which is quite a tight turnaround. 

Curious to know what the deal is with catalogue distribution rights to the existing films and whether Fox will still handle things on MGM's behalf. 

Also curious who will do the score for the new film.

Cary Fukunaga is the new director.

Interesting choice. First American to direct a Bond film too I believe. EON announced that Purvis and Wade have indeed been hired (again!) to pen a new draft of the script so who knows how that will turn out.

A February release is going to be downright weird. 

I note that, as with the Boyle Exit announcement, Craig appears to be basically co-producing this now.

February half term week sounds stupid, but I guess they're just too scared of going up against Fast & Furious 9 at Easter.

So we’re doing The Bond Supremacy, it seems. The eye roll level is set to The Full Maitlis.

I dig it. Talk about keeping things fresh. This is way more interesting.

It will equal $$$ initially, and hopefully they can deliver the goods with her to keep momentum for the following installments. 

I’m not sure that’s what the rumour implies, Cam. All it seems to be saying is that in the story Bond has retired (makes sense after the end of the last film), so naturally another agent would have been assigned his number. The assumption would be he gets it back by the end.

• Like 2

Indeed; there's a big nerdy wiki page somewhere (of COURSE there is) of all the other people who've had Double O status across novels, films, comics and radio plays. Most of the numbers other than 7 have been used multiple times for different people; 009's died three times now, if memory serves (opening of Living Daylights, opening of Skyfall and one other I forget.)

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’m not sure that’s what the rumour implies, Cam. All it seems to be saying is that in the story Bond has retired (makes sense after the end of the last film), so naturally another agent would have been assigned his number. The assumption would be he gets it back by the end.

That's what I took from it as well, I don't think the studio is going to produce a Bond film with Lashana Lynch as the lead, that would be very bold indeed.

Ah, I was thinking with her being cast in 25 that she'd be taking the lead after Craig/Bond retired. 

No, Bond's old-fashioned nature bouncing off the modern world's been a theme going back to at least GoldenEye and is even in some of the books. Making him come face to face with his own replacement in the job is a natural extension of that. If you want to get all technical about it, he's given 7777 in the novel of You Only Live Twice as part of his new identity, and someone else is the new 007 after he "dies."

On 7/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, Romier S said:

Lashana Lynch is the new 007. She takes the mantle after Craig/Bond retires from MI6...

https://nypost.com/2019/07/14/lashana-lynch-cast-as-007-in-new-james-bond-movie-report/

I'm not a big fan of this franchise.  I've just never thought the Bond character was that personable.  Just a robot hero, although I have certainly enjoyed many of the movies.  If they just replace a male robot with a female robot this is completely uninteresting.  But if they take this change as an opportunity to upend the whole franchise in an interesting way, which I don't think they'll do, color me interested.

I can't believe they rebooted Nigel Mansell with a German guy in the role. Driver Number 5 is a mustachioed Brummie! 

• Like 1