LCVG

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Sept 2018

OldDarth

22 minutes ago, OldDarth said:

Lara's gone full Rambo in this one. Looks pretty dark. Never did finish the second game - was too bloated and I eventually lost interest.

Doesn't sound like this will deliver anything different if Eurogamer's hands-on is anything to go by.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-27-the-good-bad-and-ugly-of-45-minutes-with-shadow-of-tomb-raider

5 hours ago, Paul said:

This “reveal” was so disappointing. I have really enjoyed the reboot, but come on, they should have done better then just some CGI trailer. And if that is what E3 is for, they should have just waited until then.

Well, there was the hands-on impressions posted by several major gaming websites, so there was that. I am also anxious to see actual gameplay footage, but if I only have to wait until E3 (which is only about six weeks away), I can wait until then.

That said, I am still excited to play this new entry to the series. The Tomb Raider reboots have been some of my favorite games from the past five years.

The first game is one of my most replayed games of the past few years, with the caveat that I never replay anything lately.

I love the setting for this one. I did not fall over myself for Rise, though I reread my impressions and they seemed more positive than I remember. Mostly I remember it being bloated as eff.

I’ll definitely give this a shot though. I love the consistent cast over the series, it’s a nice touch.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, it looks like the review embargo lifted today, so the reviews have been tricking out. Overall, the game seems to be garnering positive reviews with a few luke-warm ones in the mix from places like GameSpot giving it a 6/10. 

I've been going back-and-forth over whether to spend the extra $10 and get the digital deluxe edition and jump in two days early. I'm tempted, but aside from the early access, I'm not super excited about the other bonus content in it. Hearing that the base game itself could take over 20 hours to complete, I feel like I would be plenty happy with the standard edition. I may buy the DLC at a later date, probably when it goes on sale.

All I need now is to see the Digital Foundry video comparing the Xbox One and PS4 versions, and showing  how it runs depending on your graphical preferences. I'm hoping for a performance mode locked at 60fps, which may be asking a lot based on what we got with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

NX gamer have their technical overview. 1080p/60 mode is there for the X:

The resolution jump is huge over the S though. On a 4K screen, I can't say no to resolution at 30fps but man that input latency is fucking dreadful!

I always choose a solid 60fps over eye candy. Assuming it's mostly locked 60fps of course.