LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

Wow.  This all looks awesome.  Top to bottom.  In Kevin Feige we trust.  I have to admit though, Ali seems a little skinny for Blade.  I assume he'll bulk up.  

• Like 1

I really like that they have made a commitment that the Disney+ shows are integral to the films, and just as important.

Agents of Shield up until this season was a part of things, but because it was by Marvel TV and not controlled by Feige it was thrown away. It’s also why anything by Marvel TV is going to Hulu. Disney+ is the MCU service, Feige playground and it’s going to print $$$

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

Ali seems a little skinny for Blade.  I assume he'll bulk up.  

I’m not sure he needs to - there’s a long and glorious history of thin vampires being perfectly strong enough, and Blade’s still half vamp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainl said:

I’m not sure he needs to - there’s a long and glorious history of thin vampires being perfectly strong enough, and Blade’s still half vamp. 

I'm not saying that "blade" needs to bulk up to kill vampires.  I'm saying that Ali needs to bulk up to play the lead in a superhero movie.  I'm pretty Peter Quill didn't need a six pack to fly his ship in the first Guardians movie either.

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

That's actually my favorite part of this.  It's like hulk in the comics where Banner is so frail and weak.  The juxtaposition of a dying human who can turn into the most powerful superhero is awesome.  Love that story.

I do like this idea,  but if I'm honest,  I'm not looking forward to the necessary sad soap opera necessary to set this up. On an up note,  the women in our lives will be dragging us to theater see this! 

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Can Blade and Black Panther team up? Has that been a thing? I want that to be a thing.

Thank you.

They have before. Blade has helped in marvel events. If he is in the MCU, you can be sure they will appear together eventually.

• Like 1

Consolidated SDCC Marvel Phase 4 Details

Phase 4 = 10 pieces of content across Live-Action Film, Disney+ TV Shows, and an animated film.

Phase4.thumb.jpg.1ef173779e06e36c8be5c1d

Black Widow - May 1, 2021

blackwidow_card.jpg

Set after the events of Captain America: Civil War

"Where we find Natasha in her life at this point is very specific,” Johansson reveals. “She really is in a dark place where she’s got no one to call and nowhere to go. She’s really grappling with her own self. When something huge explodes and all the pieces are landing, you have that moment of stillness where you don’t know what to do next — that’s the moment that she’s in. In that moment, you actually have to face yourself.”

"Black Widow will introduce new characters like Harbor’s Alexei. “That is his by-day name, but at night he becomes the rock star the Red Guardian,” Harbour tells EW. “In the Cold War, the Americans were developing weaponry, and the Soviets were responding. The Americans developed Captain America, and the Soviets responded with something called the Red Guardian. In a way he’s a super-soldier, but he’s also a very complicated guy. He has a lot of flaws, a lot of idiosyncrasies. It’s a very rich character.”"

Scarlett Johansson - Black Widow

David Harbour - Alexei AKA The Red Guardian

Florence Pugh - Yelena

O-T Fagbenle - Mason

Rachel Weisz - Melina

Directed by Cate Shortland

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - Disney+ Fall 2020

falcon_wintersoldier_card.jpg

Anthony Mackie - The Falcon

Sebastian Stan - The Winter Soldier

Daniel Brühl - Baron Zemo

The Eternals - November 6 ,2020

eternals_card_3.jpg

Richard Madden - Ikaris
Kumail Nanjiani - Kingo
Lauren Ridloff - Makkari
Brian Tyree Henry - Phastos
Salma Hayek - Ajak
Lia McHugh - Sprite
Don Lee - Gilgamesh
Angelina Jolie - Thena
Directed by Chloé Zhao

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - February 12, 2021

shang-chi-card.jpg

Simu Liu - Shang-Chi
Tony Leung - The Mandarin
Awkwafina - Undisclosed Role

Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton

WandaVision - Disney+ Spring 2021

wandavision_card.jpg

Timeline - Post Endgame

Elizabeth Olsen - Scarlet Witch

Paul Bettany - Vision

Teyonah Parris - Adult Monica Rambeau

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 7, 2021

doctorstrange_card.jpg

"The events of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will connect with the Disney+ series Marvel Studios' WandaVision"

Benedict Cumberbatch - Stephen Strange

Elizabeth Olsen - Scarlet Witch

Directed by Scott Derrickson

Loki - Disney+ Spring 2021

loki_card.jpg

The story of where Loki went when he took the Space Stone in Endgame.

Tom Hiddleston - Loki

What If…?Summer 2021

whatif_card.jpg

"Marvel Studios’ What If…?, the first animated series in the MCU"

Jeffrey Wright - The Watcher

Many actors from across the MCU will reprise their roles as voice talent

Hawkeye - Disney+ Fall 2021

hawkeye_card.jpg

Jeremy Renner - Hawkeye 

? - Kate Bishop

Thor Love and Thunder - November 5, 2021

thorlovethunder_card-1.jpg

Chris Hemsworth - Thor

Tessa Thompson - Valkyrie

Natalie Portman - Jane Foster (Mighty Thor, goddess of Thunder)

Directed by Taika Waititi

That completes Phase 4 at this time per Kevin Feige:

“It is the complete Phase Four the way I announced the complete Phase Three five years ago—things can move, things can change as they did if you go back and look at what we talked about five years ago for Phase Three, but we’ve been working on this for quite a while and it’s pretty set. But there are always changes possible.”

Future (Phase 5 )

Blade

Marvel Studiosâ Blade

Mahershala Ali - Blade

Black Panther 2

Guardians of the Galaxy 3

Captain Marvel 2

Fantastic 4

The Mutants (X-Men?)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JTello said:

I do like this idea,  but if I'm honest,  I'm not looking forward to the necessary sad soap opera necessary to set this up. On an up note,  the women in our lives will be dragging us to theater see this! 

Yeah, my wife likes Thor for one reason and one reason only. And he has large muscles. Don’t think female Thor is going to make her happy. Quite the opposite actually. 

54 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Yeah, my wife likes Thor for one reason and one reason only. And he has large muscles. Don’t think female Thor is going to make her happy. Quite the opposite actually. 

Looks good to me, lol

EAAu8AeVUAAk_F3?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Well I would certainly agree, my wife is another story. 

Did she see Endgame? How did she feel about Bro-Thor?

I would love to see the pitch meeting to Natalie Portman for Thor 4.  I've been under the impression that she was done with playing damsel characters for marvel.  I imagine Hemsworth and Waititi had a looooong dinner with her trying to convince that things would be different.  It will be funny.  It will be tragic.  You're gonna die of cancer.  You're gonna save the world.  It's gonna be hilarious.  

• Like 1

I'm very sensitive to political correctness.  But Marvel gets a free pass on everything they do because it's usually great.  A lot of people are rolling their eyes at a female Thor.  Because they assume it is a forced mediocre progressive move.  I might think that too if I didn't see Thor 3 and didn't read the comic.  This is gonna be fantastic.  But I totally get after the Bond announcement this would make eyes roll.  I wish I could explain to them all that no, this is gonna be awesome.But I can already see the Rotten Tomatoes review bombers sharpening their tomatoes.

I read an interview clip where Feige said Waititi approached Portman about it, and she was on it right away.

People can roll their eyes all they want. That’s a problem they have, not marvel. This stuff has all been down on the page already.  The bond thing, people need to learn to read press releass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeyN said:

People can roll their eyes all they want. That’s a problem they have, not marvel. This stuff has all been down on the page already.  The bond thing, people need to learn to read press releass.

OMG, you should read the comment sections below news articles about this.  It is like 98% hate.

If Portman is all-in, then that makes me even more excited.  Thinking actors aren't into the project is always worrisome.  

I can't believe Hopkins did Thor 3 because HE gave the impression that he was done with this stupid superhero bullshit.  And by that I mean he literally said:

"I've Done Two--That's Enough." -Anthony Hopkins

Enough is enough, unless... its not?

35 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Enough is enough, unless... its not?

Unless the offer is to come back but get to do something different, which I suspect is what helped win Hopkins round (and Portman too). 

52 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

OMG, you should read the comment sections below news articles about this.  It is like 98% hate.

Maybe, but that's largely due to the amount of time people who hate this stuff have for going around posting that rubbish. If they had any sway in these things, neither The Last Jedi nor Captain Marvel would have made it past the billion dollar mark, and Justice League would have taken more money than Wonder Woman.

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Unless the offer is to come back but get to do something different, which I suspect is what helped win Hopkins round (and Portman too). 

Either that or a dump truck full of money? 

I'm glad they're doing the Jane-Thor in the movies, and it'll be interesting to see whether they pull in the cancer stuff as well, since that's a bunch of setup.  I'd like to think that everyone is on board and excited about making something cool though.

15 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Anthony Hopkins on doing Thor 3:

Natalie Portman is beautiful and talented,  yet I thought she was terribly uninteresting in the MCU,  so I this is one of those rare occasions where I kinda-sorta sympathize with the trolls. The story concept sounds very interesting,  but it's difficult to get excited for her in the role given her showing thus far.  I'm open to it working out, but it's still weird given how she sucked and then just dropped out of the MCU. Meh!

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

It helps, sure, but when you’re as wealthy as Hopkins and Portman, and likely have no interest in repeating the experience of Dark World’s troubled production, they can probably afford to be selective.

2 hours ago, JTello said:

Natalie Portman is beautiful and talented,  yet I thought she was terribly uninteresting in the MCU,  so I this is one of those rare occasions where I kinda-sorta sympathize with the trolls. The story concept sounds very interesting,  but it's difficult to get excited for her in the role given her showing thus far.  I'm open to it working out, but it's still weird given how she sucked and then just dropped out of the MCU. Meh!

She dropped out of the MCU because of what went on surrounding Thor 2. The director (patty jenkins) and script were totally changed right before shooting. It was a big deal behind the scenes, and she almost left the film. Was also part of the Ike Perlmutter fiasco.