LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

Kevin Feige during an interview said they actually have the next 5 years planned out, but decided to just announce Phase 4 since it was big enough at 10 titles (5 movies, 5 shows). So Phase 5 is looking like a three year plan of 9 films, and whatever tv shows they decide on. :)

I expect Eternals, Wanda Vision and Doctor Strange to do that from the interviews I have heard . Those three are always mentioned. The Black Widow footage people have been describing as John Wick/Jason Bournish.

In terms of the colour palettes and grading though? I'm desperate for them to move away from the flat look all of their digitally shot movies have suffered from (it's by no means fault of them being shot digitally, but how they treat those images in post).

I did have some hope with how dramatic the sky was in Endgame, but Far From Home was a return to flat grey light everywhere, even in "sunny" Venice.

14 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I would really love it if they shifted gear visually with this next era and allowed the films to look more unique and interesting.

It is an interesting dilemma.  Can you wildly vary these movies in tone if you're going to integrate all of them at some point?

All these movies have humor and goofiness in them.  But Thor 3 jumped off a cliff in this regard.   These movies are ridiculous to begin with, but Thor 3 just said "screw it" to the point where stuff just didn't make sense at all, but it was OK, because it was a comedy.  

Then the Thor 3 movie narratively rolls directly into Infinity War where Thor is blown to smithereens while crying over his dead brother's carcass.  

I thought it worked just fine.  They can flip back and forth like that.  They can have a DeadPool movie where he's always talking to the camera and then put him in Avengers and work him in without breaking the movie.  And I think the same is true for the "look."  Black Widow can use a "Minority Report" muted crazy blooming aesthetic and then throw her in an Avengers movie where it is all colorful.

Although I don't think they "need" to do that.  But I think it would work and would like to see it.

Far From Home has passed 1billion WW, so get to work on 3 marvel.  Highest grossing Spider-Man film.

• Like 1

There are 3-4 deleted scenes that have been leaked or shown. Ill wait to Tuesday :)

A little hokey, frankly and redundant given how well the funeral scene plays afterwards. They were right to cut it.

• Like 1

I've watched EndGame several times now.  It is a wonderful ending to this franchise.  Though set against Infinity War, it is just far from the tight, fun, rewatchable movie that Infinity War is.  Given that it is the ending to the whole franchise in a sense, I don't judge it harshly because it is trying to do so much.  My low points in the movie are:

Stark and his Dad  

This whole section just slows down the movie and isn't as interesting, meaningful, or entertaining as it thinks it is.  Of course it serves its narrative purpose of getting them the space stone, letting Tony say good by to his Dad, and foreshadowing Rogers' decision to stay in the past.  Lots of positive there.  But I think it is one of the weakest components of the movie.

Professor Hulk

I really like that Hulk is destined to put on the Stark-Gauntlet because it emits mostly gamma radiation, blah blah blah.  That one line justifies the entire professor hulk plot, I guess.  But besides that, Banner being in hulk form throughout this movie contributed nothing to the movie or plot.  He might as well have been regular banner in almost every scene.  I feel they left on the table so many awesome Hulk moments had they kept him dumb hulk.  Dumb hulk is one of my favorite MCU characters and and more or less keeping him out of the Infinity Saga is really sad to me.  Save the "Hulk Hates Stairs"  gag, which I loved BTW. 

Rather than just bitch, I'll give some ideas they could have done which would have made this part of movie better for me.  I would have enjoyed if HULK was part of the band that killed Thanos at the beginning.  He deserved to be on that team.  I would have preferred that Banner spent the rest of the movie as regular Banner.  Then when he met with The Ancient One she could have deemed it necessary to combine him for the purpose of safely performing the snap.  Then in some dire moment in the final battle Dr. Strange separates Hulk and Banner again,  and Hulk gets his moment against Thanos, just like Thor, Iron Man, Rogers, and Marvel do.  He could have been worked into that chain of Thanos wack-a-mole quite nicely and the could have given him his "The angrier I get, the more powerful I get moment" that would have surprised Thanos the way Rogers' hammer moment surprised us.

Thor

I've already said that I don't like drunk Thor.  After Thor 3, Hulk and Thor were my 2nd and 3rd favorite characters.   And they more or less erased those characters from this final movie.  So sad.  And then his one plotline, going back to Thor 2 and meeting his mother.  I thought that whole section was one of the weakest in the movie.

The above three things pull this movie down for me.  This movie could have joined Thor 3, IW, and the original Avengers as my 3 favorite MCU movies had it approached these 3 things differently.  As it is , it is good, and a great ending.

That is, until Disney buys Sony Pictures out of spite?  Really too bad, especially with how they were trying to set things up going forward. 

Some reports are saying Deadline jumped the gun and that discussions are ongoing.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at the reports that this is allegedly all because Disney wants more money out of the deal. The fucking nerve of their studio division is frankly grotesque. 

Yeah I just saw that report about it being premature. Word was more films kicked in if this hit a billion, so who really knows.

However on the business front.  Wouldn't you want more money out of the deal?, or something else added on?  They did just help Sony make Far From Home their biggest grossing film of all time. and it's still making cash. It's a smart business move to negotiate for either some more money, or to allow Spidey in more Avengers films.

The funny thing is Disney already makes all the merchandising money for Spider-Man, Sony makes nothing that way.

Disney absorbed a competitor, altering the box office landscape dramatically, and is currently boasting about having five separate billion dollar grossing movies in 2019 with Frozen 2 and Rise of Skywalker still to come. I honestly can’t think too badly of Sony for telling them were to shove their want for 50% of Spider-man’s box office receipts, especially if it’s true that Sony offered some concessions that Disney rejected (as is claimed by an update to the Deadline story). 

I do not believe they asked for 50%, but I do think they are trying to negotiate a better deal. Any company would. Multiple places that have always had good info are reporting the story is premature, and they are still in negotiations. The rest of what Disney has bought, or made as no bearing on anything really. They are in the business of making as much money as they can, and doing the best deal they can. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

The rest of what Disney has bought, or made as no bearing on anything really.

Of course it does! Disney are the single most dominant force in a fractured studio system that is haemorrhaging opportunities to compete on a level playing field. You can be damn sure that’s a factor in Sony pushing back. 

I’d be surprised if they don’t figure something out, but social media leaping to Disney’s defence here is deeply depressing. People still don’t realise the reality of what the Disney/Fox acquisition has meant for the industry as a whole, or worse, they don’t even care.

I bust your balls a lot Keith,  but I have to agree with your points here regarding End Game,  and I now really wish they consulted you regarding Hulk! That's sounds awesome and on point! 

• Epic Post 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Of course it does! Disney are the single most dominant force in a fractured studio system that is haemorrhaging opportunities to compete on a level playing field. You can be damn sure that’s a factor in Sony pushing back. 

I’d be surprised if they don’t figure something out, but social media leaping to Disney’s defence here is deeply depressing. People still don’t realise the reality of what the Disney/Fox acquisition has meant for the industry as a whole, or worse, they don’t even care.

I'm so torn.  I love the MCU so much and have contempt for Universal and Sony for their involvement in the fracturing of the MCU.  But I completely agree that Disney being in control of so much is bad.  I am not a "break them up" sort of guy, but I think Disney should buy Sony, consolidate Marvel, and then break Disney into separate companies including Marvel Entertainment as a single independent entity.

36 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I'm so torn.  I love the MCU so much and have contempt for Universal and Sony for their involvement in the fracturing of the MCU.  But I completely agree that Disney being in control of so much is bad.  I am not a "break them up" sort of guy, but I think Disney should buy Sony, consolidate Marvel, and then break Disney into separate companies including Marvel Entertainment as a single independent entity.

giphy.gif