Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was gonna try to book tickets despite my wife + kids being lukewarm on it after their irrational dislike of the first film, but I came into work to find out our office manager booked us a private sc

Well...... The outcome to this exchange now has the potential to be more interesting than the movie.   Joey?     

That’s the same combination as my luggage! 

Posted Images

Ryan Coogler and his production company have signed a 5 year deal with Disney. The release mentions a  Kingdom of Wakanda series for D+, and the release says working on other MCU projects , and things for other divisions.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/black-panther-ryan-coogler-wakanda-series-disney-plus-exclusive-disney-television-deal-proximity-media-1234684707/

6 hours ago, JoeyN said:

Ryan Coogler and his production company have signed a 5 year deal with Disney. The release mentions a  Kingdom of Wakanda series for D+, and the release says working on other MCU projects , and things for other divisions.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/black-panther-ryan-coogler-wakanda-series-disney-plus-exclusive-disney-television-deal-proximity-media-1234684707/

I think a Wakanda show would be much more interesting than more movies. I kinda feel that way about all movies to be honest. These stories are serial and interconnected and deserve more time. Not 24 episode time. Eight episode time.

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Very clever. 

The producers of this show have balls. Did Feige just instruct his teams to just do fucked up stuff? I made a joke about them bringing back the human torch with the same actor as a mind fuck. This is really close. Took me two minutes to explain to my daughter what the hell just happened.

7 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I made a joke about them bringing back the human torch with the same actor as a mind fuck. 

Funny, I had the exact same thought last night.

Spoiler

I just loved how meta it was, how a scenario set against the backdrop of the fantasy of a TV show enabled them to be able to work in a joke about recasting. And how wonderful for the actor too after he became such a favourite for people in films that only existed on the fringe of the MCU, but to suddenly find himself brought into it legitimately. It really was quite brilliant, and I have to assume this is the first step the MCU is taking into the multiverse? Wanda seemed pretty adamant that she did not conjure him to the door, and genuinely seemed confused when he appeared.

I really feel the Marvel universe is far better positioned to deliver on the promises Disney made about the "endless possibilities" of stories in the Star Wars universe when they acquired Lucasfilm. Their Star Wars output has ultimately proven to be highly regressive, while Marvel keep doing genuinely interesting things. Granted, part of that is helped by the fact the source material has lent itself to various forms of interpretation by different writers and artists over the decades I'm sure, while a large proportion of the Star Wars fanbase seems to be less open to much beyond the regurgitation of things they've seen time and time again. The film/TV side of the MCU could have ended up similarly rigid and formulaic, and while naturally after so many years and so much output some things have worked better than others, it's remarkable how they're still keeping me intrigued.

I can't say much more without also having to say how superb Olsen and Bettany are in this show too. 

There's a lot to unpack in that, I bet. I find it interesting we're getting a much more "traditional" MCU series after WandaVision ends, don't know if that's a bigger picture plan on the exec level or just happenstance. But I'll be watching. Feels like forever since we had that MCU feel. 

5 hours ago, dogbert said:

There's a lot to unpack in that, I bet. I find it interesting we're getting a much more "traditional" MCU series after WandaVision ends, don't know if that's a bigger picture plan on the exec level or just happenstance. But I'll be watching. Feels like forever since we had that MCU feel. 

Falcon Winter Soldier was supposed to be first, but had to shut down production for a while because they were on location overseas.

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

I knew that was a reveal, and still enjoyed it

Gotta hand it to them-that was something I didn't expect.  I had to look the character up in the wikis (since the name sounded familiar), and yeah, that was definitely a pull.  Might have seen something in passing (I'm sure I have an issue around that mentions the character), but not something I remembered.  It's good to still be surprised by something.

This show falls into a weird category. I "appreciate" the boldness of the show. I appreciate the multiple generations of TV tributes. I appreciate the Lost-like mystery unraveling. I appreciate the marvel fan service. And I appreciate this show teeing up future marvel projects.

But I don't really enjoy this show all that much. Like I said, it has a lot going on. But none of those things are all that great individually. I can't imagine wanting to rewatch this. I'm pretty sure this show is at least partially the result of writer drug use. 

In the end each episode leaves me feeling "that was clever, and I wish I enjoyed watching it more." 

I’m just adoring WV. I don’t know a lot of this Marvel comic stuff going on, I don’t need to, but the jokes are funny, the plot doesn’t hang around too much, the mystery has enough of its own twisted logic that it doesn’t feel there just to string us along, and everyone from Hahn to Bettany is great fun.