Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 and Beyond Discussion

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was gonna try to book tickets despite my wife + kids being lukewarm on it after their irrational dislike of the first film, but I came into work to find out our office manager booked us a private sc

Well...... The outcome to this exchange now has the potential to be more interesting than the movie.   Joey?     

That’s the same combination as my luggage! 

Posted Images

I was a little let down by the ending of Wandavision, I still enjoyed it and thought it was a solid episode on it's own, I just didn't find it fully satisfying considering the build up from episode 3 on.

I liked the first episode of Falcon and The Winter Soldier, especially what they are doing with Bucky, some really nice Falcon action scenes at the start too, looking forward to next Friday.

29 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

I still have no idea how the Marvel stuff can be so consistently good.  Wandavision was fantastic, and the first episode of Falcon was really good too.  That first action sequence was movie-quality, and I liked the opportunity to dig more into the characters' backstories in this continuity. 

Its hands down the team Feige has built. Lately there have been interviews with some behind the scenes people, and their love for their jobs and the characters shows on the screen. The latest is with Andy Park on Kevin smiths YouTube show. He is the lead on the team who works on all the designs years before filming, all the way to the end of post production on everything.

I liked Falcon & Winter, but maybe a bit less than others here it seems. Not sure why, they did good stuff, just still kinda vanilla at the same time.

It's hard coming on the heels of Wanda, where every episode left us wanting more immediately. Every episode ended too quickly and left us excited to see where the show would go.

Falcon just lacked that excitement. It was good, but when it ended, but there was no 'omg we have to wait a week' feeling.

I'm open to this show getting better going forward, but it's got some work to do if it's gonna be more than just good.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:08 AM, JTello said:

I liked Falcon & Winter, but maybe a bit less than others here it seems. Not sure why, they did good stuff, just still kinda vanilla at the same time.

It's hard coming on the heels of Wanda, where every episode left us wanting more immediately. Every episode ended too quickly and left us excited to see where the show would go.

Falcon just lacked that excitement. It was good, but when it ended, but there was no 'omg we have to wait a week' feeling.

I'm open to this show getting better going forward, but it's got some work to do if it's gonna be more than just good.

Wanda was an unraveling mystery with cliffhangers which is right up my alley. But I never loved it. As clever as it all was.

Falcon /Winter Soldier has hit the ground running. I’m all-in with their personal plot lines, an iteration on what I already knew and cared about from the movies. And I am enjoying the more grounded story versus Wandavision’s weird, quirky, and almost cartoonish tone.

6 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Wow... could it cause Marvel fatigue again? I get it they are probably bleeding money and they want their return on investment.

There was marvel fatigue before?  They were just chugging along , making bank until the pandemic hit.

Nice interview with Danny Elfman in which he notes he'll refer back to Giacchino's Doctor Strange theme in the Multiverse score, which doesn't surprise me as Elfman was good enough to refer to Silvestri's Avengers theme in the score for Age of Ultron and build upon it, but it's always nice to hear of rare moments of musical consistency with these movies. Musically the MCU has been such a missed opportunity. 

https://composer.spitfireaudio.com/en/articles/danny-elfman-on-the-evolution-of-midi-composing-ideas-on-voice-notes-tim-burton

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Nice interview with Danny Elfman in which he notes he'll refer back to Giacchino's Doctor Strange theme in the Multiverse score, which doesn't surprise me as Elfman was good enough to refer to Silvestri's Avengers theme in the score for Age of Ultron and build upon it, but it's always nice to hear of rare moments of musical consistency with these movies. Musically the MCU has been such a missed opportunity. 

https://composer.spitfireaudio.com/en/articles/danny-elfman-on-the-evolution-of-midi-composing-ideas-on-voice-notes-tim-burton

Outside of the Avengers theme, there's not much terribly recognizable, no.

Black Panther might have the most interesting/best soundtrack of the stand alone movies for my money.

42 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Outside of the Avengers theme, there's not much terribly recognizable, no.

It's not just recognisable themes (or the lack thereof), I just think there was a huge missed opportunity to have overlapping consistent character themes from film to film as and when there was character crossover. It really would have been something quite unique. I know there's a degree of pride that gets in the way, where a composer doesn't want to back reference another composer's work in these kind of cases, and doing so can even harm a score's chance at being accepted for nominations around award seasons, but Elfman gets it (I love what he did with Silvestri's Avengers theme. He improved it in my opinion).

Silvestri's Captain America score is good (as a whole better than his Avengers scores I think).

42 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Black Panther might have the most interesting/best soundtrack of the stand alone movies for my money.

Yes, I agree. That's solid through and through with not just one but several notable themes (Shuri's theme is particularly great).

The Ant-Man theme is fun and catchy, even if the score as a whole doesn't leave much of an impression. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:12 PM, Angry the Clown said:

It's not just recognisable themes (or the lack thereof), I just think there was a huge missed opportunity to have overlapping consistent character themes from film to film as and when there was character crossover. It really would have been something quite unique. I know there's a degree of pride that gets in the way, where a composer doesn't want to back reference another composer's work in these kind of cases, and doing so can even harm a score's chance at being accepted for nominations around award seasons, but Elfman gets it (I love what he did with Silvestri's Avengers theme. He improved it in my opinion).

Silvestri's Captain America score is good (as a whole better than his Avengers scores I think).

Yes, I agree. That's solid through and through with not just one but several notable themes (Shuri's theme is particularly great).

The Ant-Man theme is fun and catchy, even if the score as a whole doesn't leave much of an impression. 

This isn't something I ever thought of. But now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense that each character should have their own hugely recognizable theme. The theme that was played when Captain American gets introduced during Infinity War was a great moment, but would have been even better if the music was super consistent and recognizable. When they shifted to Guardians in that movie too. And then Black Panther. All made better by a recognizable theme. But I barely recognize anything but the Avengers general theme.